Uni Acronyms

Isn’t a true acronym when it actually makes another word. Rather than just an appr. of letters?

-Shaun Johanneson

I think an acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word - doesn’t need to be an existing word. UPD is pronounced as separate letters and thus not an acronym.

But I don’t think we need separate threads for uni acronyms and uni abbreviations.

BTW, is uni an acronym? I don’t think so even though it is an abbreviation (of unicycle) and pronounced as a word.

Yeah and it’s only good for 10 minutes then it’s permanent!

http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/acronym.cfm

And UNINATS, the Australian one… The one I’m going to in Sydney that I can’t wait for.

Toofeno

I did make up toofeno. I think that toofeno (“tuFEEno”) never did catch on, in part, perhaps, bc it’s such a hard skill that I still can’t even do it (despite having tried it for over 5 years!). So it doesn’t come up in discussions very often. I mention it from time to time in my club notes.

I think it would be fun to have a few more terms (ollie, for example), but they usually arise naturally.

Another term I use in my notes is 1’ww (one foot wheel walk). That’s neither a true abbrev nor an acronym. tho it’s close to an abbrev.

Other abbrevs we all use include:
psi
rev and revs
rpm (revs per minute), aka ‘cadence’
… but these aren’t limited to the world of uni’ing – they’re cycling terms.

You mentioned that in said 12 Jan 2002 post, and you gave a few fun examples like “going native” (none of which have ever been used since, probably).

Sometimes people still refer to the koosh-koosh, i.e. the wheelwalk with one foot in front of the frame, one behind. Named after the sound it gives.

I once suggested the UPD should be categorised more or less as follows:

UPD = unplanned dismount. You land on your feet, catching the unicycle with your hand. It wasn’t planned but it wasn’t really a fall off.

UPD1 = you land on your feet, but the unicycle seat hits the floor.

UPD2 = the unicycle hits the floor, as do your hands and knees

UPD3 = a more spectacular version of the above, possibly with a judo roll and blood.

BDM = Ballistic DisMount = very high speed, or on a steep descent. Anything that involves a significant walk to get back to the unicycle.

BDM1 = the above, but involving a significant limp back to your unicycle.

BDM2 = presumably where your unicycle has to find its own way home because you’re in hospital.

BDSM = this is something very different from unicycling.

eBayD = a Ballistic DisMount so extreme that the executors of your estate put your uni on eBay.

:stuck_out_tongue:
wewt!

That’s called a fall. The UPD acronym was invented to distinghuis ‘unplanned dismounts’ from falls.

What do you think about Nuni…short for a non-rider

MUPADS - Massive Un-Planned And Disastrous Stacking.

:smiley: :smiley:

Should add POOP and PIMP to this thread.