Uni.5 Ultimate

Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a geared ultimate?

Would it actually work?


Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
The joys of parenthood - www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/jenny/scream.html
“Sleep - what’s that?” “Pardon?”
B4/5v c(+) rv d m(+) w++ q+ k e+ t+ (s) g+ f - http://www.lpbk.net/jc/

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:57:40 +0100, “Danny Colyer”
<danny@jugglersafety.net> wrote:

>Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a geared ultimate?
>
>Would it actually work?

Errm, don’t you mean taking the pedals off?


http://www.javery.demon.co.uk/
I.C.Q. 27906259

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

“Danny Colyer” <danny@jugglersafety.net> wrote in message
news:a8qbs7$p99$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk
> Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a geared
ultimate?
>
> Would it actually work?
>

There is a reaction arm fixed to the frame to keep part of the planetary
gear set from rotating. If its not fixed to the frame the result might be a
continuously random change from fixed gear to 1:1.5 to freewheel.

Random geared ultimate wheel? Not me, but someone in this group is crazy
enough to try it.

Doug

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

Just attach the “reaction arm” to your leg and it would provide almost the
same result as attaching it to the fork blade. How to attach it to your
moving leg is another issue.

If the arm is left unattached I would imagine, that as force is applied to
the pedals, the arm would just begin to spin and no (or very little) energy
would be transmitted to the ring gear. Therefore the wheel would not turn
at all and you’d probably just fall.

-mg

“Doug Massey” <dvm@mmcable.com> wrote in message
news:7C4s8.32211$1a.10032475@twister.kc.rr.com
>
> “Danny Colyer” <danny@jugglersafety.net> wrote in message
> news:a8qbs7$p99$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk
> > Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a geared
> ultimate?
> >
> > Would it actually work?
> >
>
> There is a reaction arm fixed to the frame to keep part of the planetary
> gear set from rotating. If its not fixed to the frame the result might be
a
> continuously random change from fixed gear to 1:1.5 to freewheel.
>
> Random geared ultimate wheel? Not me, but someone in this group is crazy
> enough to try it.
>
> Doug
>
>
>

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

Danny Colyer wrote:
>
> Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as
> a geared ultimate?

Trust you to think of that one Danny!

And Jim Avery wrote:
>
> Errm, don’t you mean taking the pedals off?

Even better, a randomly-geared, cranked ultimate wheel with
no pedals! What do you do, stick your big toes in the holes
where the pedals would go?

  • Richard

RE: Uni.5 Ultimate

> >Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a
> geared ultimate?

> Errm, don’t you mean taking the pedals off?

No, you need pedals. You take the wheel off and ride “it”. It being the
wheel. Should be quite interesting, and a good cause for leg-burn.

> >Would it actually work?

It should work if you’re a solid ultimate-wheeler. Which I’m not.

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“We were discussing Big Mac Meals. I think that has little if anything to do
with cow parts. There are probably more UNICYCLE parts in a Big Mac than cow
parts.” - Greg Harper on cuisine

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

Greetings

In message “RE: Uni.5 Ultimate”,
John Foss wrote…[color=darkred]
>> >Has anyone tried taking the wheel off yet and using it as a
>> geared ultimate?
>
>> Errm, don’t you mean taking the pedals off?
>
>No, you need pedals. You take the wheel off and ride “it”. It being the
>wheel. Should be quite interesting, and a good cause for leg-burn.
>
>> >Would it actually work?
>
>It should work if you’re a solid ultimate-wheeler. Which I’m not.[/color]

I think I lost part of this thread. What is a solid UW? Are we talking about
something like a ultimate zero cycle? That would be just a hub with cranks
and pedals! “Weird” is not the word! I thnik it can be riddent with toe-clips,
and would look pretty funny.

>John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
>jfoss@unicycling.com
>www.unicycling.com
>
>
>“We were discussing Big Mac Meals. I think that has little if anything to do
>with cow parts. There are probably more UNICYCLE parts in a Big Mac than cow
>parts.” - Greg Harper on cuisine
>___________________________________________________________________________
>rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>

Regards, Jack Halpern
President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

Putting an extension on the frame tab so that it could rotate and hit the ground (like an abbreviated front seat drag) is the closest that I can imagine to using it as an UW. Irene Genelin did both a front and rear seat drag on the Uni.5 when she rode it. Not at the same time, although if anyone could do that it would probably be Irene.

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 01:27:05 -0500 Jack Halpern <jack@kanji.org> writes:[color=darkred]
> >> >Would it actually work?
> >
> >It should work if you’re a solid ultimate-wheeler. Which I’m not.
>
> I think I lost part of this thread. What is a solid UW? Are we
> talking about
> something like a ultimate zero cycle? That would be just a hub with
> cranks
> and pedals! “Weird” is not the word! I thnik it can be riddent with
> toe-clips,
> and would look pretty funny.[/color]

I think he meant a proficient UW “rider”. Solid describing the rider, not
the UW.

What about that frame tab that holds the planet cage or whatever. I think
it is necessary for the frame tab to be attached to something. Greg,
would it work?

Jeff T.


GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

RE: Uni.5 Ultimate

> I think I lost part of this thread. What is a solid UW?

A solid ultimate-wheeler is someone who doesn’t suck at riding it. You would
be solid, whereas I am not yet worthy.

> we talking about
> something like a ultimate zero cycle? That would be just a
> hub with cranks and pedals! “Weird” is not the word! I
> thnik it can be riddent with toe-clips,
> and would look pretty funny.

I look forward to seeing you perform on this at UNICON this summer. But
remember, toe-clips can be dangerous!

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“We were discussing Big Mac Meals. I think that has little if anything to do
with cow parts. There are probably more UNICYCLE parts in a Big Mac than cow
parts.” - Greg Harper on cuisine

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

Doug Massey wrote:
> There is a reaction arm fixed to the frame to keep part of the planetary
> gear set from rotating. If its not fixed to the frame the result might be
a
> continuously random change from fixed gear to 1:1.5 to freewheel.

I had a feeling that might be the case. Still, it’s good to hear from Greg
that someone’s tried a seat drag with it.


Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
The joys of parenthood - www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/jenny/scream.html
“Sleep - what’s that?” “Pardon?”
B4/5v c(+) rv d m(+) w++ q+ k e+ t+ (s) g+ f - http://www.lpbk.net/jc/

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:49:17 -0500, harper
<harper.2svyb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>
>Putting an extension on the frame tab so that it could rotate and hit
>the ground (like an abbreviated front seat drag) is the closest that I
>can imagine to using it as an UW.

Maybe there could be a weight attached to the frame tab to keep it
pointing down? The more evenly you can ride the UW, the less weight
you need to keep it from going “over the top”. I’m not sure how much
the (undoubtedly swinging) weight would impede the ride though.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“FBIS, SWS, FCIC”

Klaas-

When Irene dragged the seat in back, the weight of the seat at the end of the frame was enough to keep the seat on the floor. I thought that the gear train would lift it off of the floor. Actually, I was astounded that she could do it at all. Actually, I was pretty much astounded by a number of things that she could do.

What John Childs and I wanted her to try was to drag the seat in front (which she could also do) and then stop and backpedal quickly to see if the geartrain would pop the seat back up off of the floor into her hand. That would have been a pretty cool little trick but it didn’t work. You can, however, set it up with the seat on the floor in front and quickly push on the back pedal and get the seat to pop up. Trying to do that while dragging the seat was a bit much to ask.

With respect to your hanging mass idea, it would take a relatively heavy weight on a short lever arm to simulate the moment produced by the seat mass and distributed frame mass. Then, of course, if you accelerate quickly enough the tendency would be to throw the weight over the axle. The lever arm limit for the weight is just under 12" on a 24" wheel. As you say, if the rider is jerky the behavior would be bizzarre.

I am sure that a lever arm out front at 45 degrees from vertical (required length about 17") with a roller on the end or a shovel scoop to slide over irregularities would work fine. I think with that addition it could no longer be called an ultimate wheel, though.

Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:50:31 -0500, harper
<harper.2tcma@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>What John Childs and I wanted her to try was to drag the seat in front
>(which she could also do) and then stop and backpedal quickly to see if
>the geartrain would pop the seat back up off of the floor into her hand.
>That would have been a pretty cool little trick but it didn’t work. You
>can, however, set it up with the seat on the floor in front and quickly
>push on the back pedal and get the seat to pop up. Trying to do that
>while dragging the seat was a bit much to ask.

Good idea, pity that it didn’t work.

>I am sure that a lever arm out front at 45 degrees from vertical
>(required length about 17") with a roller on the end or a shovel scoop
>to slide over irregularities would work fine. I think with that addition
>it could no longer be called an ultimate wheel, though.

If there’s a roller on the end, it’s a bicycle! :slight_smile:

I’m not so sure that it works though. If the rider applies a little
backward force for deceleration or balance purposes, the lever arm
will pop up and hit you (or shoot between your legs if nothing is
dangling in the way).

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“ISWG, Psyops, Face”

Re: Re: Uni.5 Ultimate

Excellent and terrifying point.