Uk the law

Just got directed to an artical in the Independent Newspaper today.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/story.jsp?story=485977

it clearly states:
“So far no fines, so I saddle up my trusty bicycle for one last attempt at attracting the attention of the law. Under the Highways Acts of 1835, cycling on the pavement is breaking the law, and since 1999 subject to a fixed-penalty notice - unless you’re on a unicycle, which circumvents the ruling.”

interesting…

Roger

this is kind of thread jacking but are you coming to exeter unimeet?

Personally I think the Goverment / Councils are clouding the issue themselves, so many footpaths are now labelled dual purpose foot / cycle path that it would be hard to fine somebody on any similar stretch of pavement.

My policy is 26" up I stay on the road, 20" (or riding with my kids) I stick to the pavement as their bikes are slow and far too unstable for the road.

Has anyone ever got into trouble riding a Uni on the pavement in the UK?

Keith

a few moans from old grannys no police though, they just laugh like most.

certainly am! can’t wait to play uni hock again!

I have not been told off before, apart from a few council workers/park attendants telling me to jump on benches and ride fences somewere else :stuck_out_tongue:

The Police seem to like it. The Riot Police usually beep their horn if they are in the van - not sure why it is just the riot police though, jam sandwiches dont bother!

Roger, that seems like a cool law! I will remember that one! :slight_smile:

Joe,

Re: Uk the law

keg wrote:
>
> Has anyone ever got into trouble riding a Uni on the pavement in the
> UK?

Stuart Allbrighton once got stopped by the police for riding on
the road. He was told he had to ride on the pavement.

Stuart disputed this and wrote to the chief constable for
clarification of the law. He received the following reply:

Hampshire Constabulary

Paul R. Kernaghan QPM LL.B MA DPM MCIPD
Chief Constable
Shanklin Police Station
Landguard Road
Shanklin
Isle of Wight
PO37 7HT
Our Ref. TMO
Tel. 0845 045 45 45
Direct Dial 538514
Fax. 01983 538650

07/11/00
Mr Allbrighton
121, Sandown Road
Lake
Sandown
Isle of Wight.

Uni Cycles

Dear Sir,

Thank you for you enquiry regarding the use of Uni-Cycles. The first
point that must be clarified is that by definition this type of
vehicle comes into the definition of a Pedal Cycle under Reg 3(b)
Pedal Cycle Construction and Use Regulations 1993.

Under the Highways Act 1835 Section 72 it is an offence to ride a
pedal cycle on a Foot Path, (the definition of foot path includes
pavement). This means that the vehicle should be used on the road
and not on the pavement.

With regard to brakes this type of vehicle with direct drive would
not require additional brakes.

With regard to the fitting of lights, this is dealt with under Reg 4
(3) Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which states, (Nothing in
these regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted
between sunrise and sunset to = Pedal Cycle). However if such a
vehicle is used between sunset and sunrise then it must be fitted
with one front position lamp one rear position lamp and one retro
reflector.

This information should help clarify the position regarding the use
of this type of vehicle on a road.

Yours sincerely

C J Bartlett PC 107.
Traffic Management Officer.

Website - www.hampshire.police.uk

interesting,

if only there was a reference to the actual peice of law which mentions unicycles,

ive been told by police to ride on the road when ive been onther pavement, and to ride on the pavement when on the road.

so i ride on the pavement which seems to me to be safer.

so even if there is an exclusion for unicycles will it apply to scotland aswell?

In the end the best policy is to be polite and obey their opinion of the law until out of sight!

So far my many passings have just been a smile or nothing, when on road or pavement.

Last summer I rode out of Guildford Festival and asked one of the police on traffic duty at the entrance, his view was who cares the pavement was wide and the traffic was heavy, so we agreed I should ride the Muni on the pavement. Coming back from the off licence the traffic was lighter and there were more pedestrians so I switched to the road.

Overall it is probably a good thing that Unicycles are not clearly defined by law (atleast not in the bits the police are familiar with).

Keith

we got told off by the police once for riding in the dark even though we had head lamps on. we were told “take those toys home its to dark” we were only jumping off a wall and it was only 7 oclock ish

Aye, man. I was riding down (pavement of) Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow on sunday night on my onza 24", copper stopped me with a real nasty attitude and said to ride on the road or in the park. I said “are you seriously telling me to ride this thing on the road?” He said yes. I’v only been riding just over two months!

But if he wants me to ride on the road and cause mass disruption in my wake then so be it, I better buy a helmet!

T.

i think it maybe time to listen to the words of N.W.A lol if you don’t get it you probli should not!
Ben

i can’t remember where i was but i was riding along a promenade thing by the beech because it was practically empty and that massive vast space of smooth tarmac was just so inviting…
i did spot a sign saying no bikes but i’m a unicyclist :slight_smile: unfortuantly i got stopped by this warden guy who said no cycling allowed, i would have argued the case that the sign said no ‘bikes’ not ‘unicycles’ but seen the guy said ‘cycling’ i couldn’t

got in trouble?

not reallly but i get a lot of abuse and comments carving up the pedestrians on the high street!! i also got told that i couldnt ride “that thing” on the cycle path going though the park! how stupid is that? i rode it anyway tho.

bungle