Uh, is this thing on?

Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

You probably can’t read this, but it’s another re-add the newsgroup
day. :slight_smile:

Deborah wrote:
>
> Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

“He told them to look not at the facts, but at the meaning
of the facts. Then he said the facts had no meaning.”

  • The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001)

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

So is it just Rodney’s server that does this and not Shena’s?

If so, what’s the difference between the two?

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Winston wrote:
>
> So is it just Rodney’s server that does this and not Shena’s?
>
> If so, what’s the difference between the two?

What causes this is when something goes wacky with our server and we
need to reboot the news server and/or do some other type of maintenance
which renumbers the news posts. Your newsreader keeps a record of all
the numbers and where they go, which would then be wrong after the posts
have been renumbered. So, if you use Rodney’s server, and he does some
kind of maintenance and the posts get renumbered, you have to re-add his
server. Same if you used mine and I did maintenance.

Right now, mine is working as before, because I didn’t do any
maintenance. I assume that Rodney did. :slight_smile:

Oh and P.S. Rodney—> posting a message saying to re-add the NG server
isn’t going to help if people can’t read the messages :slight_smile:

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

I put it on the website too in case anybody actually looks at the website
anymore :stuck_out_tongue: http://www.webdiscuss.com

(you should be looking at the website more often :wink:


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Shena Delian O’Brien” <shenacat@forget-spam.com> wrote in message
news:3C8C136B.1CB5E50B@darklock.com
> Winston wrote:
> >
> > So is it just Rodney’s server that does this and not Shena’s?
> >
> > If so, what’s the difference between the two?
>
> What causes this is when something goes wacky with our server and we
> need to reboot the news server and/or do some other type of maintenance
> which renumbers the news posts. Your newsreader keeps a record of all
> the numbers and where they go, which would then be wrong after the posts
> have been renumbered. So, if you use Rodney’s server, and he does some
> kind of maintenance and the posts get renumbered, you have to re-add his
> server. Same if you used mine and I did maintenance.
>
> Right now, mine is working as before, because I didn’t do any
> maintenance. I assume that Rodney did. :slight_smile:
>
> Oh and P.S. Rodney—> posting a message saying to re-add the NG server
> isn’t going to help if people can’t read the messages :slight_smile:

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

> (you should be looking at the website more often :wink:
>

You mean the web site that still says “we’re back” in the title, from when
you first set up your newserver – that web site?
:slight_smile:

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

yep, that’s the one :wink: the one with the current info on the newsgroup and
sooo much more…


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Winston” <wd@winston.org> wrote in message
news:a6h59s$vta$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> > (you should be looking at the website more often :wink:
> >
>
> You mean the web site that still says “we’re back” in the title, from when
> you first set up your newserver – that web site?
> :slight_smile:
>
>

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Some of the threads after 03/03 are not coming up. Will they eventually
sync with that of Shena’s?


Peter N. Go - mailto:peter@icthus.net

http://CGI-City.net http://ArticleCity.com
http://ZenSearch.com http://BannerBuild.com
http://RegisterGuy.com http://BudgetWebHost.com
http://NewsCuts.com http://FreeMailWeb.com

Accept Credit Cards Online. Run An Affiliate Program.
http://www.icthus.net/cgi-city/clickbank.html

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

I hope so…


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://reservoirfrogs.tk
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

“Peter N. Go” <peter@icthus.net> wrote in message
news:3C8C1B1A.351BCCF1@icthus.net
> Some of the threads after 03/03 are not coming up. Will they eventually
> sync with that of Shena’s?
>
> –
> Peter N. Go - mailto:peter@icthus.net
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://CGI-City.net http://ArticleCity.com
> http://ZenSearch.com http://BannerBuild.com
> http://RegisterGuy.com http://BudgetWebHost.com
> http://NewsCuts.com http://FreeMailWeb.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Accept Credit Cards Online. Run An Affiliate Program.
> http://www.icthus.net/cgi-city/clickbank.html
> ------------------------------------------------------

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Thanks, everyone. All the messages between yesterday and March 3rd are
gone. :frowning:

Deborah wrote:

> Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

“-Deborah-” <invalid@work.com> wrote in message
news:3C8CBA2B.D1C15338@work.com
> Thanks, everyone. All the messages between yesterday and March 3rd are
> gone. :frowning:

You can still find them at news://news.darklock.com/webdiscuss

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

You just have to reload the newsgroups in.

-Deborah- wrote:
>
> Thanks, everyone. All the messages between yesterday and March 3rd are
> gone. :frowning:
>
> Deborah wrote:
>
> > Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??


Mike

• Logo Design •
Put some fun in your next logo!

Site at: http://www.artistmike.com
Other site at: http://www.artistmikes.com

Email at: mike@artistmike.com

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Mike wrote:
> You just have to reload the newsgroups in.

No… those posts are still gone. What’s happened was that everything
was reset to the status from a week ago. All posts from the week are
gone and the numbers are decreased to what it was then.

  • Gilby

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

I did that in order to see these messages. :slight_smile: The messages I mentioned are
gone from this server.

Mike wrote:

> You just have to reload the newsgroups in.
>
> -Deborah- wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, everyone. All the messages between yesterday and March 3rd are
> > gone. :frowning:
> >
> > Deborah wrote:
> >[color=darkred]
> > > Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??
>
> –
> Mike
>
> • Logo Design •
> Put some fun in your next logo!
>
> Site at: http://www.artistmike.com
> Other site at: http://www.artistmikes.com
>
> Email at: mike@artistmike.com[/color]

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

All of this trouble has made me think: do we still need to pay “dues”
for this newsgroup and the website? I’d be more than willing to pay if
so…

-Mike K.

-Deborah- wrote:
>
> I did that in order to see these messages. :slight_smile: The messages I mentioned are
> gone from this server.
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> > You just have to reload the newsgroups in.
> >
> > -Deborah- wrote:[color=darkred]
> > >
> > > Thanks, everyone. All the messages between yesterday and March 3rd are
> > > gone. :frowning:
> > >
> > > Deborah wrote:
> > >
> > > > Each thread I try to access says it’s expired??
> >
> > –
> > Mike
> >
> > • Logo Design •
> > Put some fun in your next logo!
> >
> > Site at: http://www.artistmike.com
> > Other site at: http://www.artistmikes.com
> >
> > Email at: mike@artistmike.com[/color]

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Mike King wrote:

> All of this trouble has made me think: do we still need to pay “dues”
> for this newsgroup and the website? I’d be more than willing to pay if
> so…

Doesn’t cost me a dime to run the news server, just time. It doesn’t take
up enough bandwidth to cost us extra, although it does cost a headache or
two once in a while :slight_smile:


Shena Delian O’Brien
http://www.darklock.com/shena/

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Well, I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say: thanks for
dealing with those occasional headaches, we appreciate it. You too
Rodney… :slight_smile:

Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:
>
> Doesn’t cost me a dime to run the news server, just time. It doesn’t take
> up enough bandwidth to cost us extra, although it does cost a headache or
> two once in a while :slight_smile:


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

“He told them to look not at the facts, but at the meaning
of the facts. Then he said the facts had no meaning.”

  • The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001)

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

donations are always appreciated :slight_smile:

look for web.discuss v4.1 this week :slight_smile:

Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Mike King wrote:
>
> > All of this trouble has made me think: do we still need to pay “dues”
> > for this newsgroup and the website? I’d be more than willing to pay if
> > so…
>
> Doesn’t cost me a dime to run the news server, just time. It doesn’t take
> up enough bandwidth to cost us extra, although it does cost a headache or
> two once in a while :slight_smile:
>
> ----
> Shena Delian O’Brien
> http://www.darklock.com/shena/

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

-Deborah- wrote:
>
> I did that in order to see these messages. :slight_smile: The messages I mentioned are
> gone from this server.

Oh. Ok.

Well then I don’t know how to fix that.

":^) ®


Mike

• Logo Design •
Put some fun in your next logo!

Site at: http://www.artistmike.com
Other site at: http://www.artistmikes.com

Email at: mike@artistmike.com

Re: Uh, is this thing on?

Rodney Blackwell ® wrote:
>
> donations are always appreciated :slight_smile:
>
> look for web.discuss v4.1 this week :slight_smile:

Fund raising drive?

":^) ®


Mike

• Logo Design •
Put some fun in your next logo!

Site at: http://www.artistmike.com
Other site at: http://www.artistmikes.com

Email at: mike@artistmike.com