Tyre pattern direction

Do I need a bearing puller for that or will the allen keys do?

what brand of hub do you have?

i think with the koxx splined you need a crank puller.

with the KH i think it’s got a self extracting bit but i’m not sure, neither am i with profiles.

(you might be able to just pull them off with your hands)

if you’ve got a DX if you undo the pinch bolt on the crank and the bolt holding it in to the hub, you should be able to pull it off i think.

(don’t take my word for any of this, i think that’s how it is but i’m not too sure)

read this

that’s a great write up on what you’re doing, just incase you havent already read it

I have QU-AX.
Come to think of it, my whole wheel could already be on the wrong way round. When I was assembling neither the cranks nor the pedals had any markings on them as to whether they are left or right. I just guessed by the thread pattern, but I could have messed it up. How do you tell if the wheel is on the right way?

By the way, your link sends to your previous message.

The pedal axle stub should have an R or an L stamped on it and the cranks should also have an R or an L stamped on them too.

If you can’t fin the R or L, another way to tell is that the righthand pedal tightens clockwise and the Lefthand pedal tightens counter-clockwise

jim

sorry about that, try this

Checked. It is on the right way. And the pedal did have an R stamped on the axle. Well, I can swear it wasn’t there before.

I guess this means I’ll have to swap the cranks around.

I find it seriously hard to believe that a tyre will wear faster by putting it on backwards. The tyre is static in the road/tyre reference frame, and nothing changes that, so only minimal wear is being done on normal riding. Unless you can tell me WHY it wears faster, I’m going with onetrack. And please refrain from yelling at me, saying you saw it with your own eyes. I’m inclined to say that you did something different to your tyre, like lots of gaps.

one person’s experience with one tire isn’t enough evidence to predict the outcome of 100 other riders with 100 other tires. read up on some statistics before you spout off more nonsense…

We all know that different treads wear down at different rates?

For example a knobbly tyre ridden on the road will wear down much faster than a slick tyre.

This is at least partly because of the contact patch being smaller or differently shaped right?

When you ride the tyre in the opposite direction, there’s a difference in how it feels, so presumably the contact patch is differently shaped, otherwise it wouldn’t feel any different? It doesn’t seem to hard to believe that this could have different wear characteristics.

Similarly under braking or acceleration, the characteristics of a sawtooth shape which is basically what a lot of directional tyres are is clearly different depending on which direction you’re going in. In one direction it’ll have a tendency to dig in, in the other direction the smooth shape of the sawtooth will allow it to slide more easily.

Joe

i’m just trying to say that my tyre did wear down faster backwards.

i know it didnt wear down because i was doing gaps, mainly because i can’t do gaps. lol.

when my tyres ridden forward it goes nicely, but backwards the grip tends to be more bumpy and gives a rougher ride.

Ill just put in my $0.02. I run my Muni tire back wards and i like it. It gives me some more traction and i feel that it gives me a bit more of an edge when climbing and descending. Running your tire backward wont hurt it from my experiences. I think its more of a personal thing. Some like to run it backward, some like it foreward…its probably more of a preference thing then anything else…If you like it backward then run it back ward, if it feels wierd then switch it back.

On a side note, i highly doubt that you could dent a rim from removing tires…Its happened once to me but the rim was like 3 years old and had sat out side the whole timeo it was significantly weaker that any new rim.

-Phil

just a tip if you’re removint tyres and whats not, i was putting a tyre back on with a screwdriver cause i couldn’t find the levers, and when i finally got it on i realised i punctured the tube with the screwdriver, i wasn’t very happy.

i’ve scratched my rim getting tyres off and on, which sucks because it’s annodized, so i highly recomend plastic levers

i run both the tyres on my unis forwards. i find thatone of them doesnt really make a difference which way it is and the other one just gives more grip goign forwards. on my BC wheel how ever i tend to ride with the wheel backwards most of the time. it doesnt wear down the grip faster or anything but i jsut like it that way.

Sorry to say it but i still agree with the other guy. seriously, i dont think that one persons experience can definitavly proove anything. this argument is pointless and pretty much sums up my rsu experience… spam and unfounded arguments with a bit of flaming to go along with it. tho i cant complain because where else would i be able to talk to so many unicyclists? :smiley:

It was just a suggestion.

it’s just as relevent to the topic as “i build bikes and unicycles as a hobby”. i was just pointing that out to prove that I most likely have better mechanical problem solving skills than someone who “builds unicycles and bikes as a hobby”

not like a dh bike, trust me.

I’m just saying that you obviously overlooked a factor, and are giving bad advice, and spreading misinformation based on that oversight.

the natural flex of the tire under load knocks most of the mud off anyway. I’m saying you won’t notice a difference in mud sheding abilites on a uni no matter which way you run the tire, unlike you would on a bike (which is who the arrow is for). And no, unicycles do not go fast enough to lean as far, and put as much latteral stress on the tire as a bike would. you’d pedal stike before you could lean that far.

this is true, running the tire backwards wears down the opposite corners of the treadblocks, but only to a degree. after that it wears the same as it would if where forewards. Remember, I’m only taking about corners of treadblocks, the overall life of the tread won’t change.

this is true aswell. the amount of grip change with direction is slight, but some of us want to get the most possable out of the ride.

amen to that

Re: Tyre pattern direction

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:12:03 -0500, iridemymuni wrote:

>i know what i’m talking about, i build bikes and unicycles as a hobby.

Can you then please explain WHY the tyre wore down 6 times faster when
running the other way?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I’m slowly but surely stealing Wales and bringing it back to my house on the wheel, frame and cranks of my muni. - phil”

well NASA has better problem solving skills than me, and most likely you, but they’re rocketships have still crashed and burned.

i was just trying to tell Ivan that when i ran my tyre backwards, it wore the tread down more than it did when it was forwards.

i know it happened, and i know why it happened.

i’m not spreading misinformation, you may think i am, likewise i think you are, (as yet you haven’t proven anything to me).

it’s all personal opinion, you have talked about how you do somethingorother for however long it was. i’ve talked about me actually wearing down a tyre that was backwards.

let’s just agree to disagree.

there is a arrow showing the right position of the wheel ?

where it is?