Twisted Seatpost?

One of my friends who is just learning somehow twisted his seatpost it’s all messed up, could he keep riding on it and is there something he could do instead of buying a new seatpost?

what do you mean twisted? …just turn it so its facing the right way?

Twisted as in the metal looks like this but way less extreme

36406s.jpg

personally i think he should keep riding on it. if it breaks, then oh well get a new one. it happens.

i think that trying to twist it back in any way would just stress and weaken the metal more.

just turn it so its facing correctly and keep riding it till it breaks i guess.

just my 2cents

i agree
:slight_smile:

yeah, just leave it so it snaps completely, try to get as much life out fo it as possible. seatposts are quite cheap so when the time comes to replace it then it ain’t to bigger deal

Yeah, just keep riding it until it breaks, I’m sure that the chance that he would get impaled by the broken, sharp remaining piece of seat post, isn’t that probable.

hmm do i sense sarcasm? haha…i have broken plenty of seatposts and never once has it stabbed me…if he isnt will to take that risk then i would tell your freind to just get a new seatpost.

he shold have said
Yeah, just keep riding it until it breaks, I’m sure that the chance that he would get impaled by the broken, sharp remaining piece of seat post, isn’t that probable. :roll_eyes:

Do you really think the metal would shatter like that? I would think it would just bend or twist more, maybe having a crack, but nothing that would have enough force or be sharp enough to actually impale you.

i think the most dangerous (and common) way of breaking a seatpost is to snap the top off (usually snap just half of the top) in which case you’s just left with a really flimsy connection between saddle and post.
not at all dangerous unless your flying off a huge set of stairs at pace (12 stair gap :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have ridden bmx for a number of years and have seen the end of my friends handlebars (Which, i think you will agree, are not sharp at all, blunt in fact) go through his stomach. He was out of school for about a year after that, and was constantly in and out of hospital with internal bleeding.

Replace it as soon as possible, Better safe than sorry!

Rock on!
Edd

OUCH :astonished:

Yeah, not a pretty sight. Its scary when you’re 16 and your friend is rolling around on the floor holding his stomach, with blood gushing from it and moaning. None of us knew what to do, luckily a passer-by called an ambulance and helped him until it got there. We were in shock for quite a while after that, and i didn’t ride at all for about a month.

Rock on!
Edd

Hmmmmmm?

Who was this Edd?

Rob from leighton middle, i don’t know if you would know him. He was really tall, and he wasn’t at school for most of year 8!

Rock on!
Edd