Tutorial: De-nubbing cranks

Finnaly, Here it is. Hope it helps.

Oh very nice.

I would like to do that to my cranks but the end of the crankbolts are flush with the nubs so grinding the nubs off would be pointless unless I could get shorter crankbolts.

What kind of cranks? I had some kh '04s that had been denubed and the bolt was not shortened. Though it would seem like the bolt would stay there even if the nub were removed, once its taken away the bolt then becomes flush with the crank.

They are qu-ax cranks

Which ones? The ones I did in this video were qu-ax.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=841

I looked closer and the crankbolts are screwed in all the way when they are flush with the nubs so I don’t think I will be able to do anything about it.

Hrm, that sucks. I thought that all “nubed” cranks could be denubed.

For a Torker DX, you need to buy flat crank bolts.

I am thinking of ordering some from Darren when I get money… not because I smash my ankles, but because I always get my pants snagging in the slot on the nub.

I think those can be denubed. You would just need to replace the crankbolt w/ this one

I denubed my 150 mm DX cranks, because I kept hitting my heals on them. I never really had that problem on my 170 mm Qu-Ax cranks, because of the increased length, more Q-factor, or both. So I left them alone.

Removing my DX cranks now is a bit difficult (easier because I applied a liberal dosing of axle greese on the splines before re-instilation). W/ the nubs gone, my crank puller would no longer work, so I used a fat screw driver and wiggled it until the crank started to slide off.

Riding w/ my DX cranks is now SOOO much easer:D

I think those can be denubed. You would just need to replace the crankbolt w/ this one

I denubed my 150 mm DX cranks, because I kept hitting my heals on them. I ground them flush w/ the rest of the crank, keeping the surface flat and perpendicular w/ the hole, so the bolt would fit properly). I never really had that problem on my 170 mm Qu-Ax cranks, because of the increased length, more Q-factor, or both. So I left them alone.

Removing my DX cranks now is a bit difficult (easier because I applied a liberal dosing of axle greese on the splines before re-instilation). W/ the nubs gone, my crank puller would no longer work, so I used a fat screw driver and wiggled it until the crank started to slide off.

Riding w/ my DX cranks is now SOOO much easer:D

Fyi, for anyone that doesn’t have an angle grinder and is timid about buying one, they are dirt cheap, they can be found for like 25 bucks at harbor freight or a nice Dewalt one for 40 at home depot. Wheels are super cheap, its a very easy and super useful tool to have around.

i want to de-nub my cranks on my torker dx because they just kill my ankles. where do i get flat crank bolts would a hardware store possibly sell them. also i tried to get the cranks off before but i couldn’t get the crank bolt to unscrew how do i take it off?

so would the Kris Holm Replacement Crank Bolt- 2004 from udc work for the dx since they are more flatter or would that not work?

Yeah those should work.