Tubeless Rim Strip?

Has anyone tried converting their unicycle to a tubeless setup?

Pros
* Lower inflation pressures
* Better bump absorption
* Better control
* Reduced rotating weight
* No pinch-flats
Cons
* Costs more
* Messy sealant
* Backup tube required
* Power inflator required

That would be cool to try, can you do it on any rim?

that sounds kind of weird… id prefer to stick with a tube

dont ppl do this on cokers ?

It looks like there are specialized rim and tire sets, but any rim could possibly be converted with a rim strip and some tire sealant.

I think it is more common with larger tires.

Larger meaning wider, or larger diameter?

Both. I read that at least 2.1" on the tire is recommended and it seems like bicyclists do this a lot for their 29er’s.

they sell a kit to convertmost rims to tubeless

My understanding is that it’s generally done for larger diameter tyres that are used for muni and long distance. I read on a previous thread that a tubeless trials wouldn’t work: start doing drops and they’ll just spew sealant and go flat.

I’m considering getting a Stan’s Notubes setup for my 36" - if you e-mail Stan he can supply a 36er rim strip, as well as the more “normal” sizes advertised on his website.

I know Ken Louieeee (GizmoDuck) is a big officionado of the tubeless persuasion.

Hes got a tubeless coker that makes me drool:

mmmmmmm…

Ohhhhh! Tubeless is great for road cycling… My buddy has some real expensive rims with tubeless set up… However he told me when he gets a blow out it is a 200 dollar to repair the flat…he only uses the wheelset for racing in crit’s though…
Unicycling tubeless would be kinda pointless without much benefits, i mean unless your willing to spend a bunch of money on it.
Road cycling there is many benefits though, like tire pressure can be up’d, the air pressure is more distributed, traction gets better, and its a much lighter setup!! :smiley:

You said it! Tubeless unicycling is good for all the reasons it’s good for a bike.

Tubeless is lighter, and you are LESS likely to puncture. Any holes get plugged pretty quickly by the sealant. And it’s not that expensive.

correct. it rocks for cokers(so i’m told) and plenty of my customers at my bike shop love it for mtn bikes. the biggest problem with it is that it doesn’t hold up well for high side loads(ie side hops in trials) they can cause it to “burp” air and/or sealant. once i get a coker or 29er i’ll let you know how it goes.

They are a hassle when you pop it or get a blow out its costly or more a hassle if you attempt to repair it yourself.

If you use it for Cokering or MUni you just keep it on until the tyre is dead. No blowouts, no punctures, no hassles.

I tried to do a tubeless conversion on an Alex DX32 rim and Gazz 26x3" tire. No matter how I tried, I could not manage to get the tire to sit on the rim enough to start inflating with the goop in it. I eventually gave up.

Not the same thing as has been discussed here for unicycles (do a search and you’ll find several threads), the setup you’re talking about requires $pecial rim$ and tire$; the one people talk about here is Stans NoTube and can be used with ANY rim and tire. The total price is $60-$70 not including installation - which you can do yourself - with NO special cost for repairs other than a small amount (less than 2 oz out of the original pint) of sealant.

I converted a KH24 three years ago and have had no problems with it - you can run less pressure without snake bite leaks. I want to do my Coker, I just haven’t gotten to it yet.

I converted my Large Marge and Gaz 3.0, note Stan does not make a strip wide enough but the latex will seal it eventually. Problems you will find with the Alex (also LM) is they pin their rim, this will take extra latex to fill any gap. Some Alex rims have an extra large gap which may stifle that idea. Another thing to try, put a tube in the tire for awhile (longer is better) to seperate the bead before mounting. When I bought a new Coker tire, the tire was flat and the beads were touching. I put an inflated tube in it for a month before using and it aired right up.