trying to find consensus

I have been searching the archives but have not found a real consensus on following subject: Will tilting the saddle forward (nose up) or backward (nose down) generally relieve more pressure from your “sensitive region”? I do a lot of miles on my Coker, and from most of the pictures I’ve seen, the saddles are almost ALWAYS nose way up. Some would say that this seat postion causes MORE pressure on your bits, not less. But then having the nose more in the down position, it seems, would force your weight forward putting more pressure on your bits. I use an air saddle, with a thin foam piece over it to help maintain shape, and I don’t over-inflate it. There is less curve in my particular saddle and I’m wondering if that also is supposed to alleviate some of the pressure, or does a more curved seat create a kind of “pocket” so there’s less upward pressure on your boys? :thinking:

I tilt my seat front up so i can sit a little more comfy on the wider part of rear of seat

Unfortunately the “science” of unicycle seat comfort is limited by variations in personal crotch shape, and possibly also by personal preference. For every saddle I’ve disliked, I know someone who has liked it (not counting saddles on “toy” unicycles).

Your description of the saddle you’re using sounds to be hitting all the usual marks. Air works well, and less curve seems more popular than lots of curve.

A unicycle seat is a compromise between comfort, control and cost. KH (Velo) and Miyata (some Torkers) compromise less on the cost, but each still has its strengths and weaknesses. You need enough leg contact for decent directional control, but too much gets you all chafed up. I think comfort is also hard for two reasons. First, we generally have all our weight on the saddle, unlike a bike where up to 40% of your weight is on the handlebars. One of the reasons handles are good. Secondly, the body position on a unicycle has your pelvic area rotated more forward (vertical) than on a bike. I think this leaves less “good” contact area to put your weight on.

As for tilt, back in my early riding days, we used to push all our Schwinn seats as far forward as the slots would allow, as Daytripper said, to get farther back on the seat. I think I do the same with my KHs. Miyatas don’t have a tilt adjustment.

So what is the true path to saddle comfort? Lots of honest assessment, along with trying different things. Be fair in your testing. 50 hours on one saddle does not compare with 1 hour on another. A straight, cold-weather ride on one saddle does not compare with a highly active ride in hot weather. Be fair in your testing, and take your time.

My favorite saddles currently are my KHs (one fusion and one not, no air or gel) and my very first Miyata air saddle. This one was made with a relatively skinny 16" tube, folded into a shape like a W with an upside-down W on top of it. This worked by dumb luck as it was my first attempt, and the only tube I could find at the last minute. No foam in that seat, just tube and seat cover.

Before those, I rode Miyata seats with extra foam on top of the original foam. I’d always cut a center channel out of the extra foam, to create ridges in the area of my sit bones, and less pressure in the center, where the nerves & stuff run.

I definitely prefer the seat nose tilted way up, for both distance and MUni. Although on the stock foam KH seat, I found that I did get a bit squashed sometimes on MUni rides; that hasn’t been a problem since I converted it to air.