Trouble found me again unicycling

2 of my friends and I a misdemeanor last night for riding unicycles infront of a Stater Bothers last night! We got a Penal Code 602 for trespassing. Now I really want one of those shirts that say UNICYCLING IS NOT A CRIME!!! But it must have been a funny sight to asee 2 unicyclists and one guy on a Mini bike riding infront of the store. How can you see that as Punk skaters or Bmx Riders!? We were causing no harm and talking with owners of the shops there as we went by joking and making some of the customers laugh. Its funny though we werent infront of the store that long either, its like someoen saw a glimps of a uni and called the cops, cause we were behind the store in some dirt hills doing some muni, and we rode infront to grab some water from the store. we only rode there for a few minuets. And now I cant return to that store for another 6 months. Im not alloud to go to any of the following stores in my town now: StaterBrothers, Rite Aid, Little Cizars, Pizza hut, Mcdonalds, Auto zone, Prime Time Video, Radio Shack, Cingular Store, 99 cent store, Skin gear, and the Watermart. Now isnt that a nice lil list for riding my uniycle to the store?

What time? That’s freaking insane…and if you say you were talking to the owners, how’d you get a ticket for trespassing? Don’t the owners have some say in what’s trespassing?
Either way, that really sucks…sorry.

Ha.

Woah, that’s worse than hopping a fence to get into a school then losing your wallet there and having to go back and get it later from the people in the office!

Why are you banned from so many stores? all owned by the same company?

lol I talked to the owners of the Cingular store and passerbyers, I have ridin inside of Rite Aid becuase I was walking it through the store and an employee wanted to see me do a trick lol. Im not sure who called but it might not even have been for us, THey ether called for the bmx riders earler or if Chris was riding infront of the stores while me and Ryan were out in the dirt hills. But I think he was riding Behind the store like in the loading area, noone is ever back there…

McDonald’s sucks, no loss there.

What is StaterBrothers?

And I don’t really get it, have you been banned from all those places because you rode your unicycle at only ONE of them? And are you banned just from riding there, or just going at all?

Either way, that blows, and is a very unfair punishment, IMO.

Lol well at least I didnt have to go talk to the School your mom did that for me lol. That was so funny though. Lol but Im banned from so many, cause its a strip mall, like they all share the same parking lot. Im basically not alloud on the South side of Phelan Road in town square, Im gonna see if I can get kicked out of the North Side today :-D. But the Cop game this Sitation unlawfully. Pc. 602 states that in order for one to be givin this misdemenear they must have been asked to leave by a land lord, Bussines owner, or Peace officer and refused to vacate the premissis. Well I was Never asked to leave, So im safe there, and If you guys remember the thread a while back that states that unicycles are pedestrians, I wasnt even riding a bike infront of the store :smiley:

To be a pedestrian. Here is the definition of a pedestrian in California, again from the California Vehicle Code:
467. (a) A “pedestrian” is any person who is afoot or who is using
a means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a bicycle.
In California a bicycle can have one wheel, but it must also have gears, a belt, or a chain, which means that a standard unicycle is not a bicycle.
From the “Words and Phrases Defined” division of the California Vehicle Code (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html):
231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears,
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
This definition does include giraffe unicycles, however, which is unfortunate because elsewhere the law requires that bicycles be able to leave skid marks when braking. Whether multi-wheel unicycles (in which only one wheel touches the ground, but the wheels turn against each other to propel the bottom wheel) are bicycles is an open issue.
A rider on a standard unicycle appears
(b) “Pedestrian” includes any person who is operating a
self-propelled wheelchair, invalid tricycle, or motorized quadricycle
and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move
about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision (a).

Lol well at least I didnt have to go talk to the School your mom did that for me lol. That was so funny though. Lol but Im banned from so many, cause its a strip mall, like they all share the same parking lot. Im basically not alloud on the South side of Phelan Road in town square, Im gonna see if I can get kicked out of the North Side today :-D. But the Cop game this Sitation unlawfully. Pc. 602 states that in order for one to be givin this misdemenear they must have been asked to leave by a land lord, Bussines owner, or Peace officer and refused to vacate the premissis. Well I was Never asked to leave, So im safe there, and If you guys remember the thread a while back that states that unicycles are pedestrians, I wasnt even riding a bike infront of the store :smiley:

To be a pedestrian. Here is the definition of a pedestrian in California, again from the California Vehicle Code:
467. (a) A “pedestrian” is any person who is afoot or who is using
a means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a bicycle.
In California a bicycle can have one wheel, but it must also have gears, a belt, or a chain, which means that a standard unicycle is not a bicycle.
From the “Words and Phrases Defined” division of the California Vehicle Code (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html):
231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride,
propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears,
and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject
to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and
This definition does include giraffe unicycles, however, which is unfortunate because elsewhere the law requires that bicycles be able to leave skid marks when braking. Whether multi-wheel unicycles (in which only one wheel touches the ground, but the wheels turn against each other to propel the bottom wheel) are bicycles is an open issue.
A rider on a standard unicycle appears
(b) “Pedestrian” includes any person who is operating a
self-propelled wheelchair, invalid tricycle, or motorized quadricycle
and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move
about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision (a).

That’s what I was thinking…glad it all worked out for you.

Im completely banned, If I show up there I can be arrested on sight :smiley: And its from just riding in the area I geuss…

Lol its not worked out yet, im still banned for six months, and I have to go to court to get the misdemenear off my record lol. But it will be, but it stinks taht i the pardade next month I cant do to one side of the street lol

Geez…it should all work out when you go to court though, right? If the cop gave the citation ilegally?

I was gonna mention that. If they haven’t asked you to leave, it’s not trespassing. They could praobly charge you though on the whole no biking/skateboarding thing if your city has an ordinance against it. Did they have signs posted? If the charge is actually only trespassing though you’re in the clear. As far as trying to argue whether or not the no bicycling rules apply to unicycles that’s not as clear of an issue and ultimately would be up to a judge to decide unless there has already been a precedent established in your area. If there there is a bike related charge, and no precendent, be sure to be on top of your game and super respectful to hopefully set a precedent in favor of unicyclist. If you’re a jerk or smart ass to the judge it could negatviely set the precedent in your area in perpetuity.

Lol yeah its all about the trespassing that we are being charged for, But we are going to try and convince the judge in the area that unicycling is not bicycling with this law so that we may legally be aloud to ride on the premises. But thanks for the advise man I know that at times I do tend to be a smart ass cause of my lack of respect toward arogant authorities. But this cop seemed slightly more understanding once he had foudn out that we had never been asked to leave. I dont respect his Authority but i do respect him as a person. When it comes to a judge who determines whether or not I have a misdemenear on my record, I respect him :wink: lol. I know you hate the part of me thats rebelius but this time I geuss il have to be serious thanks for tips Jeff.

Edit: Hey guys do you think im alloud there until my court date, you know inocent until provin guilty. like do you think I can shop there until Its been decided or not that I am inocent or guilty?

It’s private property. It has nothing to do with your guilt or innocence. In fact if the charge is for trespassing it has nothing to do with the fact that you were on a unicycle at all. Until things are settled I’d stay off their property. Even if the charges are dropped it doesn’t mean they have to allow you on their property at all.

I don’t hate the part of you that’s rebellious, I dislike the part of you that spells things incorrectly.

i.e. your fingers.

It sucks you have to go through all of this just because you were unicycling in front/back of a plaza.
I don’t know if trespassing in those circumstances would even count as a misdemeanor. I have a misdemeanor charge for posession of paraphenalia, so I’m going through the whole court thing too. I’m not banned from any place, but I can’t sympathize with you because I have to go through a lot more to get this off my record.

Lol I hate my fngiers too, he he. Well dang man that stinks about the paraphenalia, so some how the sitation the police officer gave me is about the same as possesion of ilegal drugs? I love it. Well I hope you can get it off your record, have you gone to court yet?

that must suck

Yeah, except I’ve been going to court every friday for two months, individual counseling sessions once a month, group counseling sessions once a week, two AA meetings each week, urinalysis monday,wednesday,and fridays, and it’s costing a lot. I think I only owe $600 more to one place, and about $600 more to another place…ALL FOR HAVING A BOWL (pipe) IN MY CAR. That’s it. I didn’t shoot anybody, didn’t get in any fight, didn’t do anything that most people would consider wrong. I’m a law-abiding citizen and a good driver, but apparently it’s reasonable cause for suspicion to take a nap in your car -enough to have a cop search the car, anyway.

I’m not saying that our incidents are related in any way - I suppose I’m complaining about how one misdemeanor can be resolved so simply, but, with others, they go overboard and make you do all sorts of things that you don’t need to be doing, and paying money that would be better spent on my college tuition. Apparently the judicial system around here has nothing better to do than prosecute a bright kid with high hopes for the future, just because he had a marijuana pipe in his car.

no respect for authority or the law = punk