Triton 36er w/KH Schlumpf Hub

I understand your hesitations. I am still confident that when it arrives it will be worth it, but, as Tom Petty says, waiting is the hardest part. I will post pictures and a review for sure.

Not good news :frowning: - even if that’s generally how things work: “off the shelf” models come first, then spare parts come after…

Thanks for the info, lpounds!

I guess I will buy the whole thing, then - and then sell the parts in excess…

Cheers, MadC.

(…and sorry to all for being off-topic…)

My thinking exactly, and probably what I’ll end up doing.

Just tripped on this post and now I’m worried, I ordered and paid for a 29" Triton back at the end of March before Dmitry left Italy, and have not heard from him since despite sending 2 emails.

Has anyone received stuff ordered before he “froze” Triton, but after his post above?

Thanks,

Paulo

I have to believe that Dmitry is trustworthy, although a bit slack on the communication. I’m sure he hasn’t ripped us off…(???)! He did say that this May Russian holiday is the biggest of the year everything grinds to a halt. I would bet we’ll hear from him soon and things will be shipped later this month. Right?!

I also believe you’re right. When I say I’m worried, I’m not questioning Dmitry’s integrity, I have absolutely no basis for that. It’s principally because I know what joining the investment banking world entails, at least in the west. People’s time, attention and basically their whole life get sucked into something of a black hole; lots happening in there but not visible from the outside :slight_smile:

I suppose all we can do is wait a little longer. In my case, I have two more weeks to go before the 8 weeks of the “6 to 8 weeks” he told me it would take.

Perhaps, if people who receive frames could post and say so we would know that things are still moving.

Paulo

Hey, kris said the KH frame will be available seperately in the thread named:
New KH36 frame (~June’08) => can’t wait for it!!! 8-D
I’m assuming that means from when the stock KH36er goes on sale or a short while after. Might be an option if the triton thing falls through.
mark

Dear Mark and Paulo

I replied to both your messages. As I wrote to Paulo:,

As you can see, I am here. Though the frames aren’t. I am looking forward to emailing you soon with nice messages about completed frames.

Sorry guys… 2madc-ccc
Sorry, but I did reply. Yes, it was a late reply, but I found it in the sent messages. Here it is:

All right, I am going back to my M&A stuff…

Finally

I finally received a very lightweight package in the mail yesterday. It took almost two months longer than was estimated but it was finally here! My initial impressions were one of disappointment looking at the sloppiness of the welds. Dmitry said that Triton had lost its main welder and was training some one new. Apparently they decided to practice on my unicycle. These welds are no where near as clean as other Tritons I have seen on this forum.
If this were not such hassle and if Russia were not so far away and if Dmitry still worked at Triton I would probably send it back. Look at the top of the crown and how wacked it is!! …but alas after 16 weeks of waiting my main concern was riding the geared hub that had sat idle in out bedroom. The hub fit well on the frame but it does look to be slightly off center, (is there something to be done about that?)
Here is a a couple more pics…

Despite the sloppy welds it does look cool, it is very light and very stiff. I love the integrated seat post and the muted Triton lettering. I went out for a sixty mile ride yesterday. Geared riding has proven to be a more difficult transition than I anticipated. I expend a lot more energy balancing and maneuvering that I do on my old coker. It feels similar to when first started riding 125 cranks. The 165 mm cranks are way too long and unless I riding on the tips of my toes I cannot easily reach the shift button with my heels. When I do finally change I often UPD trying to adjust to the new ratio. I can shift on the fly going slow maybe 1 out of 5 times. I’ve ordered some 145mm cranks and hopefully they will be better. For the first time in my uni career I passed a bike on a descent!! What a rush!! The weight of the hub is noticeable, but still it weighs in just under 19 lbs, pretty good for a geared machine.
I have a problem with my right crank. It has developed a significant wobble and I was sure that the bolt had come loose, but when I stopped it was very tight and I couldn’t tighten it more. I noticed that compared to the KH moment cranks the lightweight Quax cranks screw much further into the hub. The bolt even interferes with the threaded gear shifter. Is there a spacer that would pull the crank out and allow for a tighter fit? Has anyone else had this problem?
Anyway, I love my new GUNI despite the aforementioned issues. I think when I get better at shifting and with shorter cranks I will be able to rock out! I am still undecided about adding a brake…so far it seems unnecessary but when I start descending mountain roads with the 145 cranks I may change my mind.

:angry: you made me Drool on my Keyboard :smiley:

Nice ride, finally. All that stuff with Triton really is a liberty.

Oh my god. I love it so much. I see what you mean about the frame. A lot of the nimbus frames are whacked like this. I have had 2.

Only thing missing is a custom handle. Maybe something like Munivision has.

That 36’er is STYLIN! Man wish I could efford one of those for my kh20 :smiley: love the “triton” on the side :stuck_out_tongue: hope it works for you. Happy riding :slight_smile:

Wow, that is a beautiful 36’er.

I wish I’d ordered one now, before they halted production :frowning:

yummy 36’er… I want…

welds look good to me, where are they sloppy? what an amazing unicycle, i am very jealous.

The top of the crown is not symmetrical, one side bulges, the welds on the crown are drippy and sloppy looking compared to Ken’s 29er and the Sponge trials that I saw. Maybe my expectations were too high. HOWEVER, I do love the uni. Thanks for all the nice compliments. Anyone visiting Colorado is welcome to give it a spin.

Osmundo, are the Kookas compatible with the geared hub?

Nope. Kookas are square tapered and KH/Schlumpf is ISIS. By the way, I f@*#ed up the Nimbus lightweight aluminum cranks I started out on. I originally had a set of moments on and they fit really nice and tight. Based on Siafred’s recommendation I went to the lightweight, cheap Quax aluminum, (which for some reason came with a Nimbus label…same factory probably). They never really fit well and after my first and only long ride the right side came loose a couple of times. Now it has a hitch in it that is permanent…I probably rode on them when they were loose and there was play in them and damaged the ISIS groove on the crank. The play is present on both sides of the hub. The hub naturally has a slight amount of back-forth play, so it is hard to notice when a crank has come loose. Anyway, those cranks were too long anyway and they are out but meanwhile I am going to go back to a pair of moments (dual 150/125) because the fit just seemed to inspire confidence. SO…my SuperGuni is out of action for a couple of days.
I am going my old hub/wheel (bent spoke and all) with the Triton until my UDC shipment comes in.

Yeah, the Qu-Ax seem to be a good choice due to the weight difference, but I actually have not tried them out on my guni yet. Tom has lightweight qu-ax cranks on his kh/schlumpf 29er and he seems to get on with them quite well. I think that if I were to upgrade my KH/Schlumpf 29 I would try out the lightweight qu-ax cranks since I keep it in the 125mm slot on the moments anyway.

Also…you said that your right crank came loose a lot. That seems to be a common problem with the KH/Schlumpf hub. I had to tighten my right crank a bunch before it finally set in place. Get proper tools to tighten the crank bolt because with the allen key that was originally sent out with the hub I seemed to round out the custom isis bolt. The allen key had a little play in the bolt, so I bought a nice set of proper fitting hex adapters to put on a socket wrench. Also, make sure that when you are tightening the bolts that before you do, the shifting mechanism is pushed in on the side that you are trying to tighten. You don’t want that interfering with you trying to tighten the bolt.

When I build up a kh/schlumpf 36er with the new KH 36 frame (when it comes out), I think I will stick with the KH dual moments 125/150, but I also heard he is coming out with dual 110/137s which might be great on the geared 36. 137s for geared riding and if you just wanted to keep it in low gear you could use the 110s. From what I have tried so far on geared 36ers briefly…the 150s feel pretty nice, but seem a little bit too long, the 125s seem rather nice but harder to controll and push, so I think somewhere in the middle (137) would be ideal.

For the wheelbuild did you just do 4 cross with the 14g spokes available on unicycle dot com?