tribute to heroes

who’s going to be watching the telethon tonight? will you donate? one
thing can be said about it…it’s pretty amazing getting all those
networks working together. http://www.tributetoheroes.org/

Rodney

if I only had a sig…

I won’t.

I’m pissed off that EVERY FUCKING STATION IS PLAYING THE SAME THING.


Sean S. <?$s=“moc.seiticoeg@osomynus”;$s=ereg_replace(
“osom”,“noom”,$s);$s=strrev($s);echo"mailto:$s";?> Hex(RGB) ->
http://thedoh.dyndns.org/hexrgb/index.php

“Rodney @ work” <rcircler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3BABE230.27290A38@yahoo.com
> who’s going to be watching the telethon tonight? will you donate? one
> thing can be said about it…it’s pretty amazing getting all those
> networks working together. http://www.tributetoheroes.org/
>
> Rodney
> –
> if I only had a sig…

that’s the good 'ol american spirit :slight_smile:

“Sean S.” wrote:

> I won’t.
>
> I’m pissed off that EVERY FUCKING STATION IS PLAYING THE SAME THING.
>
> –
> Sean S. <?$s=“moc.seiticoeg@osomynus”;$s=ereg_replace(
> “osom”,“noom”,$s);$s=strrev($s);echo"mailto:$s";?> Hex(RGB) ->
> http://thedoh.dyndns.org/hexrgb/index.php
>
> “Rodney @ work” <rcircler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:3BABE230.27290A38@yahoo.com
> > who’s going to be watching the telethon tonight? will you donate? one
> > thing can be said about it…it’s pretty amazing getting all those
> > networks working together. http://www.tributetoheroes.org/
> >
> > Rodney
> > –
> > if I only had a sig…

Yeah, I know sean… it’s just plain terrible that you can’t watch your
regular program… instead you have to watch a bunch of actors and
singers try to raise money to help thousands of people that won’t be
watching their regular program any more either. What if you were in one
of those buildings? Or maybe one of your family members? Would you still
be pissed about it?


TomBryant tom@dixieshirts.com



Get your NextCard visa - 2.99% APR intro
http://www.nextcard.com/index6.html?ref=aff0074289

“Rodney @ work” <rcircler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3BABF0BF.CEFB6BB3@yahoo.com
> that’s the good 'ol american spirit :slight_smile:
>
> “Sean S.” wrote:
>
> > I won’t.
> >
> > I’m pissed off that EVERY FUCKING STATION IS PLAYING THE SAME THING.
> >
> > –
> > Sean S. <?$s=“moc.seiticoeg@osomynus”;$s=ereg_replace(
> > “osom”,“noom”,$s);$s=strrev($s);echo"mailto:$s";?> Hex(RGB) ->
> > http://thedoh.dyndns.org/hexrgb/index.php
> >
> > “Rodney @ work” <rcircler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:3BABE230.27290A38@yahoo.com
> > > who’s going to be watching the telethon tonight? will you donate?
> > > one thing can be said about it…it’s pretty amazing getting all
> > > those networks working together. http://www.tributetoheroes.org/
> > >
> > > Rodney
> > > –
> > > if I only had a sig…
>

Tom Bryant wrote:
>
> Yeah, I know sean… it’s just plain terrible that you can’t watch your
> regular program… instead you have to watch a bunch of actors and
> singers try to raise money to help thousands of people that won’t be
> watching their regular program any more either. What if you were in one
> of those buildings? Or maybe one of your family members? Would you still
> be pissed about it?

I personally think it’s overkill to put it on ALL the local stations.
Local stations are stations you get if you have a TV, period. So,
putting it on one would be enough because everyone who had a TV would
have that channel.

It’s not like bandwidth is an issue with TV and you have to have
mirrors. :wink:

I didn’t watch it mainly because I don’t have anything to donate, and if I
did I would give it locally to one of the banks here that are collecting
funds, or stand on the street corner distributing little American flags
(I’ve heard about 9 people in the last two weeks mention that they wish
they had one).


Shena Delian O’Brien * http://www.darklock.com/shena/ The Graphics Kitty!

I watched it and found it depressing as hell. I had hoped for a more…I
don’t know…patriotic, unity-inspiring presentation…instead of all
that despressing music. However, I am aware that I am very fortunate to
even have the opportunity to be depressed (hi Tom).

I think it’s great that they all came together. But I heard Rosie
O’Donnell say something that I totally agree with. She said
(paraphrasing)…

“There should be a one million dollar cover charge at the door of this
event. These entertainers are all sitting on millions of dollars and are
going to ask the working class to donate THEIR money?”

I did donate, by the way.

“Tom Bryant” <tom@dixieshirts.com> wrote in message
news:9ohct1$23g$1@www.darklock.com
> Yeah, I know sean… it’s just plain terrible that you can’t watch your

What the hell? I’m an unemployed college student. I have $11 in my wallet
and then I’m going to have to dip into my savings account again. Sorry
pal, I need my cash a lot more than the Red Cross. With $40 billion coming
in I don’t think they’ll miss the pennies I would “donate.”

Then again, I’ve never been much on charity.


Sean S. <?$s=“moc.seiticoeg@osomynus”;$s=ereg_replace(
“osom”,“noom”,$s);$s=strrev($s);echo"mailto:$s";?> Hex(RGB) ->
http://thedoh.dyndns.org/hexrgb/index.php

Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:

> I personally think it’s overkill to put it on ALL the local stations.
> Local stations are stations you get if you have a TV, period. So,
> putting it on one would be enough because everyone who had a TV would
> have that channel.

But all the local channels are in competition, they all are targetting the
same audience, so they will put similar stuff on at the same time that
that audience would watch. What I hate is when you are in the middle of a
program and then they break for a special report (hasn’t been bad lately
though) and then you miss a whole bunch of the program you were watching
because of them doing that. I’d rather have some ticker tape on the bottom
of the screen that would say what’s happening and then say turn to XYZ
channel to learn more. At least the future of digital TV with the
simulcasts will probably allow something like that.

> I didn’t watch it mainly because I don’t have anything to donate, and if
> I did I would give it locally to one of the banks here that are
> collecting funds, or stand on the street corner distributing little
> American flags (I’ve heard about 9 people in the last two weeks mention
> that they wish they had one).

They could be used as good promos too… just put a little message on the
pole of the flag saying “free flag provided by gilby.com” or whatever.

yeah, that’s what you want to do now, use the tragedy as a way of
promotion.


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/ http://DomainJunkies.com/
http://EmailSources.com/ http://SellYourLogo.com/ http://JackAssMail.com

Free Color Business Cards http://www.linkcounter.com/go.php?linkid=153264

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message
news:3BACBFDD.3010308@gilby.com
> Shena Delian O’Brien wrote:
>
> > I personally think it’s overkill to put it on ALL the local stations.
Local
> > stations are stations you get if you have a TV, period. So, putting it
on
> > one would be enough because everyone who had a TV would have that
channel.
>
>
> But all the local channels are in competition, they all are targetting
> the same audience, so they will put similar stuff on at the same time
> that that audience would watch. What I hate is when you are in the
> middle of a program and then they break for a special report (hasn’t
> been bad lately though) and then you miss a whole bunch of the program
> you were watching because of them doing that. I’d rather have some
> ticker tape on the bottom of the screen that would say what’s happening
> and then say turn to XYZ channel to learn more. At least the future of
> digital TV with the simulcasts will probably allow something like that.
>
>
> > I didn’t watch it mainly because I don’t have anything to donate,
> > and if
I
> > did I would give it locally to one of the banks here that are
> > collecting funds, or stand on the street corner distributing little
> > American flags (I’ve heard about 9 people in the last two weeks
> > mention that they wish
they
> > had one).
>
> They could be used as good promos too… just put a little message on
> the pole of the flag saying “free flag provided by gilby.com” or
> whatever.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> yeah, that’s what you want to do now, use the tragedy as a way of
> promotion.

Sure, why not? If we don’t, we let the terrorists win… Our society is
pretty much built on commercialism. Companies are always promoting their
products with current events in mind and using it to their advantage, no
matter how bad those current events may be.

actually, sometimes it does matter how bad those current events may be.
sometimes companies do have limits, at least ethical companies do.

I don’t think it has anything to do with letting terrorists win, it has to
do with ethics and compassion. but that’s just me…why let morals get in
the way of commercialism?


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/ http://DomainJunkies.com/
http://EmailSources.com/ http://SellYourLogo.com/ http://JackAssMail.com

Free Color Business Cards http://www.linkcounter.com/go.php?linkid=153264

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message
news:3BACCD14.6070906@gilby.com
> Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> > yeah, that’s what you want to do now, use the tragedy as a way of
promotion.
>
>
> Sure, why not? If we don’t, we let the terrorists win… Our society is
> pretty much built on commercialism. Companies are always promoting their
> products with current events in mind and using it to their advantage, no
> matter how bad those current events may be.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> actually, sometimes it does matter how bad those current events may be.
> sometimes companies do have limits, at least ethical companies do.
>
> I don’t think it has anything to do with letting terrorists win, it has
> to do with ethics and compassion. but that’s just me…why let morals
> get in the way of commercialism?

But you can promote stuff using good morals.

So what’s bad about handing out flags with a small message on them?
Wouldn’t that show patriotism and help those that want flags get them?

The tribute to heros was a promotional thing for the United Way.

All the online companies, and tv stations, that have donations stuff set
up are promoting themselves? It’s brand recognition.

So what action would be ethical? Sitting back and doing nothing? Or
getting in and showing you care while also promoting yourself?

Pal, nobody said that you had to donate. I was just commenting on your
piss poor additude about the telethon being on “every fucking station”.


TomBryant tom@dixieshirts.com



Get your NextCard visa - 2.99% APR intro
http://www.nextcard.com/index6.html?ref=aff0074289

“Sean S.” <noemail@here.blargh> wrote in message
news:9oidqg$se7$1@www.t-shirtcountdown.com
> “Tom Bryant” <tom@dixieshirts.com> wrote in message
> news:9ohct1$23g$1@www.darklock.com
> > Yeah, I know sean… it’s just plain terrible that you can’t
> > watch your
>
> What the hell? I’m an unemployed college student. I have $11 in my
> wallet and then I’m going to have to dip into my savings account
> again. Sorry
pal,
> I need my cash a lot more than the Red Cross. With $40 billion coming in
I
> don’t think they’ll miss the pennies I would “donate.”
>
> Then again, I’ve never been much on charity.
>
> –
> Sean S. <?$s=“moc.seiticoeg@osomynus”;$s=ereg_replace(
> “osom”,“noom”,$s);$s=strrev($s);echo"mailto:$s";?> Hex(RGB) ->
> http://thedoh.dyndns.org/hexrgb/index.php

Mentioning this, I couldn’t help but notice last week that one of the
cameras viewing the WTC made sure to include the Verizon building (with
their big ass logo across it) in the lower left part of the screen.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> yeah, that’s what you want to do now, use the tragedy as a way of
> promotion.


Jay Tierney – jay@jaytierney.com

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message
news:3BACD3CE.7090108@gilby.com

> But you can promote stuff using good morals.

Ok. I agree. But in this case I think the two are mutually exclusive. But
that’s only my opinion.

> So what’s bad about handing out flags with a small message on them?
> Wouldn’t that show patriotism and help those that want flags get them?

Sure. But it’s would also show that you’re out to make a buck on the backs
of those who died (IMO)

> The tribute to heros was a promotional thing for the United Way.

I don’t agree with that. But that’s my opinion. I think it was a way of
raising money by reaching the masses. United Way is nonprofit though, so
that’s a different animal.

> All the online companies, and tv stations, that have donations stuff set
> up are promoting themselves? It’s brand recognition.

If you say so. I say they already have the brand recognition, they were
just using the traffic they already had to encourage their visitors to
donate. They didn’t send out flyers telling you to come donate. For the
most part, people just happened to be surfing yahoo for information, or
looking to amazon.com for a book recommendation, or going to paypal to
login and happened to find a way to help on their way to do what they
normally do. I think that’s commendable. Trying to make a profit off of
it, is not. That’s why most places say they will realize no profit from
the donations.

> So what action would be ethical? Sitting back and doing nothing? Or
> getting in and showing you care while also promoting yourself?

Neither. I choose option C: getting in and giving out flags out of the
goodness of your heart. WITHOUT promotional tags on them. That’s one of
the reasons why I like cafepress. They are banning all “for profit” stores
relating to the attacks. Hey, you know me, I’m all for self promotion,
urlsi’s at the drop of a hat, etc…but I also think their are limits and
that there is a time and a place for such things.

If I did give out flags, I would take some of the money from the profits
that I’ve realized throughout this year and go out and buy some flags.
Give them to out to people. Or, I’d even be for encouraging your visitors
to donate by offering an incentive. Say give them a free small gift if
they show proof that they’ve donated. That way you are not just handing
out website links, you’re using your community traffic and loyalty to
increase the giving and rewarding them for doing so.

-Rodney two bits.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> That’s one of the reasons why I like cafepress.

Cafepress… great promotional thing they got going using this tragedy.
They are getting tons of business because of it. Yeah, they say that all
profits go to the charity, but what’s that mean? It means that after all
expenses, they will give the rest to charity. What expenses are there?
Cost of materials, cost of labor (their workers get paid, probably
overtime), cost of postage, ect. And as a bonus, they get a lot more
business, lots more people link to their site, they get brand recognition,
more stores are opened for other t-shirts, etc.

Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s a great idea, and I bet it’s working great
for them. The customers are happy. A win-win situation where they used
this horrible tragedy to their advantage.

So the secret is to make it look like a non promotional thing…

So the wording on the post of the little flag would be better if it said
“Donate to help the victims of Sept. 11th at XYZ.com” or “Get more flags
at XYZ.com”. Then it doesn’t look as much of a promotional item.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:

>>All the online companies, and tv stations, that have donations stuff set
>>up are promoting themselves? It’s brand recognition.
>>
>
> If you say so. I say they already have the brand recognition, they were
> just using the traffic they already had to encourage their visitors to
> donate. They didn’t send out flyers telling you to come donate.

They don’t need to with that sort of thing. A company can never have too
much brand recognition. If you can donate on a particular site, you
associate that generosity with their name, instead of with their
competitos name. So the next time you need that service they provide, you
are likely to go to them instead of their competitor.

Also, by having that, you get word of mouth advertising, about the best
kind of advertising there is. People tell their friends about the
donation thing going on there, and how much they’ve collected so far, and
then their friends go to the site. They wouldn’t have gone there
otherwise. They got people to put links on their site to theirs, for
example there are links on webdiscuss.com to these sites and they get
more traffic for that.

There is a lot of promotion going on because of this tragedy, whether you
see it as promotion or not.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> actually, sometimes it does matter how bad those current events may be.
> sometimes companies do have limits, at least ethical companies do.
>
> I don’t think it has anything to do with letting terrorists win, it has
> to do with ethics and compassion. but that’s just me…why let morals
> get in the way of commercialism?

Hey Rodney, you’d probably like this site:
http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/first/


Shena Delian O’Brien * http://www.darklock.com/shena/ The Graphics Kitty!

again, an example of using their existing client base, user traffic to
encourage people to donate in another manner. They are also donating their
markup, so yes, they are just covering their costs, if that.

much different from handing out flags on the corner with cafepress.com
printed on them in my opinion.


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/ http://DomainJunkies.com/
http://EmailSources.com/ http://SellYourLogo.com/ http://JackAssMail.com

Free Color Business Cards http://www.linkcounter.com/go.php?linkid=153264

“Gilby” <mail@gilby.com> wrote in message
news:3BACDECE.4010009@gilby.com
> Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> > That’s one of the reasons why I like cafepress.
>
>
> Cafepress… great promotional thing they got going using this tragedy.
> They are getting tons of business because of it. Yeah, they say that all
> profits go to the charity, but what’s that mean? It means that after all
> expenses, they will give the rest to charity. What expenses are there?
> Cost of materials, cost of labor (their workers get paid, probably
> overtime), cost of postage, ect. And as a bonus, they get a lot more
> business, lots more people link to their site, they get brand
> recognition, more stores are opened for other t-shirts, etc.
>
> Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s a great idea, and I bet it’s working
> great for them. The customers are happy. A win-win situation where they
> used this horrible tragedy to their advantage.