trials uni

I’ve just finished talking myself into building a trials uni. Not as one sided a conversation as you might think… :wink:

I’ll likely use carbon fibre again and post a photo when it’s done.

Is the Suzue still the hub of choice excepting the Profile setup?

Cheers, Greg

Roger was getting some of the hubs and cranks used in the Onza. Not sure if this has happened yet.

it is prety much universaly recognised these days that you need a splined hub like the profile, onza or norco. nobody realy considers the suzue to be strong enough for trials these days, especaily now everybody has got it into their heads that big drops put hairs on your chest.

for purely technical trials work you could probably get away with a suzue hub but as soon as you start to do drops of more than 3 foot or gaps bigger than 2.5 foot you realy start to tax the equipment, and cotterless hubs and cranks start to die,

since drops and gapps are for many the fun part, you’ll regret not having a splined hub, and it may actualy cost you more in replacement hubs/cranks than it would to just get a profile hub,

p.s. the onza hub /crank setup that nb is talking about will be much cheaper than the profile setup, and prety much the same

> it is prety much universaly recognised these days that you >need a splined hub like the profile, onza or norco.

Yes but the profile is unnecessarily expensive for me and I can’t find a splined hub of any other manufacture for sale without the rest of the uni. If they’re out there somewhere I’d love to hear about it.

While I’m rattling on has anyone come up with a creative way to capture the bearings? The main cap style I settled on last time turned out to be a fair bit of tight tolerance work. I may end up plaigarizing Steve Howard’s pinch bolt idea if I can’t think of another way to accomplish this. Sorry Steve.

Cheers, Greg

Just out of curiosity, if you start riding a little agressively:

2 sets twisted or broken cranks: $140
1 broken hub: $25
1 set ruined spokes: $20
1 tacoed rim: $40
1 wheel build: $20

Total: $245
Time lost: 2 weeks to get parts and do the rebuild

That’s a reasonable trials scenario, isn’t it?

So a $299 Profile hub, axle and cranks isn’t such a bad deal after all.

Re: trials uni

No not yet, I think it will be the new year.

Roger
----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: trials uni

>
> Roger was getting some of the hubs and cranks used in the Onza. Not
> sure if this has happened yet.
>
>
> –
> nb - one wheel short
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> nb’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1072
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/21678
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

For a one off, I’m considering using aluminium shaft collars. With trials, the bearing brackets will be taking a beating… you can actualy get stainless collars cheaper. I don’t think a majority (by weight) carbon fiber trials unicycle is practicle because of impacts… perhaps a hybrid? Regardless, it may be akin to making glass shoes -a nifty, special, impracticle curiousity. Even an aluminum-carbon hybrid would be iffy, with serious durrability deficets for marginal weight savings over crome alloy.

That said, make it anyway- I want to see it! Lot’s of cool unthought of solutions came after know-nothing spectators said it couldn’t be done.

-Christopher

Hmm - I think carbon is not the way forward - it’s ideally used in tension - not really possible on a uni.
also it has very poor impact resistance and finally any defects in the manufacture will cause it to fail - with a bang.
I’ve had some experience with carbon in sailing and it’s not pretty when it fails. (I had one of the kyrwood carbon 5o5s in case anyone is interested)

This is why all my Unis are steel - you can make a super strong frame - with low maintainance and high durability - that is almost if not the same weight as the carbon ones.

>2 sets twisted or broken cranks: $140
>1 broken hub: $25
>1 set ruined spokes: $20
>1 tacoed rim: $40
>1 wheel build: $20
>
>Total: $245
>Time lost: 2 weeks to get parts and do the rebuild

For everything else there’s Mastercard. :smiley:

On a somewhat more serious note, does rider weight have a lot do do with what kind of hub to get? I weigh 110lbs and i can do almost 3 foot drops on my $140 CDN Taiwanese uni… and it hasn’t broken. sweet…

Like titanium, it has a very high Ooooowww and Aahhhh factor -in direct proportion to it’s cost. In unicycling, replacing massy parts is as close to practicle as you can get.

What we need is a low weight, tough, high volume tyre… now that would be revolutionary.

-Christopher

Titanium sucks if you’re trying to make anything too - it’s a pain to weld - you can build a lighter uni out of steel - it’ll just cost a lot.
That said it’s still cheaper than Ti

• Just look at the road bike world - the best frames are still the custom steel ones

As to the tyre - If someone helps to fund it I could get a run of about 10,000 two ply kevlar tyres made up :slight_smile:

Joe-

In my limited experience with Ti it seemed to weld quite nicely but machined very poorly. It is hard and light and likes to chatter.

I should qualify that I suppose

I have no real experiance with working with Ti. However I am reliably assured that it’s a pain unless you have a good flow on the sheilding gas.

I want to get an inert chamber if I ever win the lottery - mmmm, magnesium

Just don’t clean up the welding slag on a belt sander!!! We had a guy here sand magnesium on a belt sander!! Talk about dramatic!! Talk about STUPID!! Wish it would have been me.

Lol - really?

I hope he was ok, must have looked pretty though

I guess this is because im not a machinist, or a chemist, or a scientist in any way, but what is so wrong about belt sanding magnesium?

It likes to ignite. The dust that has already been made and is in the vacuum cleaner attached to the belt sander also likes to ignite. It burns hot and EXTREMELY BRIGHT. If you try to put it out with water, it reacts with the water and hydrogen gas (also flammable) evolves. All in all it makes for some cool fireworks action.

Re: trials uni

“Max_Dingemans” <Max_Dingemans.e917y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:Max_Dingemans.e917y@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I guess this is because im not a machinist, or a chemist, or a scientist
> in any way, but what is so wrong about belt sanding magnesium?

I’m not either but I believe this would result in a flash similar to a
“sparkler” or fireworks due to the magnesium and potential heat/flame from
the friction of the sander.

I used these tires for flatland and they rule.

http://www.flatlandfuel.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=868346|889281&PRID=1274705

Kevlar belt, very low rolling resistance, high psi, durable, and they weight next to nothing. Don’t know how they’d work for uni though. flatlandfuel.com would probably be a good place to look for unicycling parts since they are similiar sports with a lot of the same ideals for parts, as far as stuff like tires, pedals, rims, and seat clamps.

Can we design our own tread?

tire.jpg