Trials Question

Alright, I have decided that the first area in the unicycling foray that I want to get into is Trials. I mountain b*ke a lot and trials is the only major type of riding that I haven’t really tried very much, so I might as well give it a go.

I have decided on the unicycle I’m going to get, and will hopefully have it soon…

This post is now on the third and final section that I need clarified… what should I work on?

I know that the basics are the most important. So riding forwards, backwards, and free mounting. Once I have gotten this, what should I work on next? (I don’t need to know how to do it, I can search the tutorials section for that :D)

So, what are the ‘essential’ skills for unicycle trials? I’m not looking for street/flatland stuff, just straight up trials riding.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Well, one of the main things you are going to need for trials is jumping. Level your pedals, put whichever foot (that is more comfortable) in front. Hang on to your seat and start to jump in place. After you get that down try jumping left to right, right to left, forward, backward, jump while turning. And after you get that down start trying to jump onto and off of things, stairs, curbs, logs, railroad ties, ect. Have fun!

Hopping and dropping…start with smallish curbs then go higher.

Alright cool.

I figured as much, I just didn’t want to miss out on some all important skill :slight_smile:

… and then hopping up stairs. One at a time, then two, then three. Hopping on railroad track ties. On each tie, then every other one. Also riding the track, if that is too hard ride cracks in the sidewalk and the edge of curbs. Learn to ride and hop SIF. Learn all of the hopping in both directions. Reduce or even eliminate prehops (practicing still stands will help).

Some have noticed benefits of being ambidextrous w/ hopping (L/R foot forward, holding on w/ L, R hand - that’s 12 combo’s for seat in and SIF)

When you can consistently hop ub two stairs get a buch of pallets and wood and build a trials course in your backyard.

Edit: go to unicycletips.com and check Trials Skills.

How come all of the videos on that site don’t work?

I have been there before and I had the same issue, when I click on a video, it takes me to a page that says “no username”

Does this happen for anyone else?

That probably means you need to sign up and get a user name.

Yeah… but there is no where to sign up…