Trials help

True, but I also consider home made obstacles to be real lines…they’re lots of fun too.

Re: Re: Trials help

You’re right, although an 8" gap between a pair of gapping bars is rather pointless unless it’s followed by a rather difficult move. Sorry, I should’ve thought that statement through a bit more before posing it.

Andrew: Correct, you don’t have to wait until 2’, that was rather arbitrary. Again though, a decent sized sidehop and static gap is vital to most trials, even if these are only around 18" and 40", respectively. Also, I think that any average person, with enough practice, can bring their sidehop to at least 2’, so I figured that number wasn’t bad.

Trip: I also keep most of my lines short, with only around 2-4 main moves and 1-2 skinnies. I like your point about learning to get moves down so you can do them away from your course. It’s one thing to land a move in your secluded backyard, it’s another entirely to land it at a competition.

I realise this is off topic and I’m sorry but…

They don’t seem to have any natural trials lines at unicycle trials competitions. Is this true (I’ve only seen photos), and does anybody else particularly like natural trials and think it should be included in comps? I love all the unexpected angles you get to play with on rocks and the fact that there are so many subtle modifications of set lines you can make to better suit your style, etc. All the bike trials comps I’ve done have had lots of natural trials lines and the last comp was all natural (and horribly slippery) which was lots of fun!

Andrew

I can think of multiple simple reasons why natural trials aren’t common at uni trials comps. First of all, they lack all skinnies, which most riders don’t like (me being an exception). Also, rocks are heavy, expensive, and hard to obtain and transport, let alone setup. That makes setting them up for a small comp logistically unfeasible. The final reason is that rocks are hard to categorize in the U system. That would make scoring much harder.

Yeah, I haven’t really read about the U system, but instead of transporting the trials course it’s very easy to set up lines in creek beds and other places (at least it is in Australia). And there’s no reason why you can’t add skinnies and other man made elements to a natural course.

Andrew

gerblefranklin - Andrew’s point about natural trials is just that - using naturally occurring objects as the course. Yes this means you can’t (easily) have natural trials indoors, but we shouldn’t limit unicycle trials to only man-made objects.

Of the biketrials competitions that I’ve entered three have been outdoors and one indoors. It seems to me that far less effort on the part of the organisers is required to set up natural sections. All you need to do is to find an interesting non-flat bit of land and mark out the sections around existing objects.

+0][>-