Trials for all around?

I’m considering on buying a 20" uni for technical riding, mostly gliding and freestyle tricks. Some muni would be cool too. After doing some research I’m now leaning towards a trials unicycle.

How good is a trials uni at the woods? I guess you need to tackle with the obstacles a lot more than you would on a 24".
Also, how thick is the tire? Eventually riding and gliding will wear it out and then I guess the only way to obtain a new tire is from a unicycle shop, because of the wacky size. So, if it could last at least a year, it wouldn’t become too pricey to order one from Germany (municycle.com).
Any chance of bmx tires out there suitable for a 19" trials rim?

So, here’s some things I’ve listed for and against a trials unicycle (as the 1. unicycle)

• for technical riding and tricks
  • small size for carrying around
  • beefy tire - can do some muni (?)
  • tough (splined hub/cranks, short spokes, trials frame etc.)
  • takes hops and drops
  • slow
  • not optimal for off-road
  • low pressure tire not optimal for freestyle either (?)
  • weird tire/rim size - harder to replace

Thanks for reading, and all comments and suggestions are most welcome!

My feeling on the subject has been simply that you learn to use what you have. If you have a 20" trials unicycle you will be able to do freestyle and muni. You may use different methods but they will be possible.

I would say the trials unicycle would work for what you are describing.

A unicycle trials tire is basically a bike trials tire which should be fairly easy to obtain. A higher end bike shop should stock them and a lower end one could probably order you one in-country.

What I did, thanks mainly to John Childs’ advice all those months ago, was I bought a 24" for muni and trials and a really cheap basic uni for freestyle. I actually really like my ‘freestyle’ uni for things like gliding. I’m learning to coast on it now.

Andrew

I was fine just riding a KH 24 MUni – till I started down the rocky single tracks up in Santa Barbara, and had to walk down most of the technical bits for lack of trials skills.

It takes months to learn how to “roll” over rocky stuff featuring shelf and boulder drops etc., but some stuff you can’t roll, and that’s where trials skills are required. And learning trials skills on grim MUni runs is not only sketchy, but very slow and risky.

Much faster to get a 20 " trials uni and wire side and forward hops/drops and seat out stuff on the street, under somewhat controlled situations, where you can practice the moves over and over. Transfering said skills to the MUni takes a bit of time owing to the larger uni, but I’ve found this crossover strategy pretty handy. I’ve seen folks trying to learn hopping and dropping skills on the rocks, and sometimes it’s not pretty. That’s been my experience, little as it is.

JL

Thanks for the replies!

Andrew Carter wrote:

I’m in a similiar kind of situation now, except I’ve bought myself a cheap 24", instead of 20". My plan would be to invest on a trials/muni/freestyle/trials unicycle and then buy a new set of cranks for my 24" Torker. Changing the cranksize from 175mm to 114mm would make it a good touring machine. I guess I could achieve pretty decent speed with it, although not as close as with a big wheeler. But it wouldn’t be too sizy either!

TheObieOne3226 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Two days ago I visited a local bikeshop and they had never heard of such sizes. During this weekend I will head for the big city (Tampere!) so I’ll check the big stores then.

Oh and by the way, if anyone reading this thread happens to live inside of Europe and would be selling a used trials unicycle, please contact me at isometsa (åt) gmail (dot)com !