Trials Discussion Thread

I’m not sure why everyone thinks mag pedals are fragile.

My DK distortions have literally been ground down from rocks and from countless drops and crashes ect, and they are still going fine.

-Miles

How much do you weigh again? Surely that plays atleast a minor role in it.

well I weigh 90 pounds.

I’m not attesting to the strength of the pedal spindle, I’m attesting to the durability of the magnesium.

speaking of magnesium… I’m getting a DOB magnesium rim to go with my 32 hole hub protoype, lightest trials wheelset ever, anyone? :smiley: hehehe I’ll hopefully get to test these out sometime in september, thanks to Midwest Bike trials http://www.midwestbiketrials.com/ I hope it works as well as I want it to. There is only 1 downside to the rims, they’re 44mm wide instead of 47mm, but I think the weight savings should make up for it. I’ll use a stripped kh frame and thomson masterpiece/swallis setup with it.

does anybody have advice on how to do a 180 unispin or unihop or whateve its called

that should help a little bit, i cant unispin, ive researched and researched, it just takes the thinking of to hell with it, just get out there and do it once you know whats involved in it. i nutted my last unispin… havent done one for half a year lol

lol yeah my freind doesnt even wanna try and last time i tryd i thought i like died from hitting them i gotta get betta at SIF so i can land it

Because I’ve got a pair, I rode them for a less than a week, took out a few pins and chipped them in a couple of places. My riding wasn’t hard at all, I was just getting used to my new uni.

I used these pedals.

Been riding my DX for a little less than a month

I can jump off a picnic table, jump off the table onto the bench onto the ground and am getting pretty good at wheel walking and skinnies XD XD XD

Anyways, enough bragging about mediocrity.
I think it’d be cool to see downwards pedal grabs, like, you jump down from something into a pedal grab.

I do that sometimes, it is sortof pointless unless you do it rolling into a grind.

It seems to me that a lot of people are making the switch way too fast from SI to SIF trials. Most trials “help” threads are just asking about leg rub when riding SIF, or how the uni jerks away from them when they hop on something. I tried SIF today just for kicks and found that after riding SI for a while, I don’t have my seat pressed against my leg and hopping is so much more stable than when I had previously tried SIF.

So if your new to trials, don’t get discouraged if SIF isn’t working for you. Work on your SI and SIF will come easily.

Danni rode SI till he was hitting 28"-29" and then switched to SIF and now can get 101cm, and Joe Hodges is beastly at SI, able to hit 102cm. There is no shame in riding SI.

I learned seat in when I could jump about 1 foot, now I don’t jump that high but I can tuck the uni really easily.

What do you guys think I should work more on, tucking my seat or hopping higher? I can hop onto a park bench and I can tuck so my butt hits the tire but I usually have to touch the object I’m jumping on. So you think it would be better to learn to hop higher or get better at tucking so I don’t touch???

i think it would be better to learn to hop higher because it will help you with timing and i find it harder to tuck alot on a low object than a much higher one.You may need to touch the object cause you are tucking more than you need to when jumping onto the bench.

Yea I agree, thats what I have been trying to say to all those who ask. Most people seem to see SIF as a goal and think if they can do it they are realy good at trials or sumthing. I think I was hitting at least 30" SI before I tried SIF and it was quite along time before I could top that SIF.

Well, the tucking just comes naturally, it’s not like I’m trying to do it, I have to if I want to do my highjump (which isn’t really that high…)

Yes, riding SI is advisable until you can get two feet (60cm). You should still practice it, as rock lines are often really hard with SIF.

Seat hight should be low at first, then high for SIF, and once you have that comfortable, make it low again. Joe hodges rides with his seat really low, and uses both SIF and SI.

I think that SIF is essential for all ups, but for gaps, SI is better. I can go a little further SI than SIF gapping. Pole/rail gaps/combos are also better done SI as you have more control.

There is nothing wrong with going all SIF, but you should balance your skills to be able to tackle new lines.

Roll hops and rolling gaps are also useful skills.

I hope this isn’t confusing;) .

30" SI is pretty baller. Is that rolling or static?

I cant remember exactly it was quite a while ago and my memory is shocking at the best of times. I know for sure I could hit at least 25 SI side hop and I think over 30 rolling SI, some thing like that.

Does anyone else find that they can jump higher from a skinny than from flat with a prehop?!

Today I was pushing my limits a bit with my high jump and I found that if I was jumping from a 1 inch tall and wide skinny that I could make it no problem. This is without any prehop and I found it pretty easy.

Then if I took away that 1 inch, and I did a good proper prehop I couldn’t do it anymore. The few times that I could get the height I just lost control because I wasn’t in as much control.