Trials competition in West Virginia

I was wondering how many people would be interested in attending a trials competition in West Virginia. It is the 24 Hours Of Snowshoe on June 28. I have e-mailed the people in charge of the event about a Unicycle trials category. I assume that if they say yes, they will need a certain amount of people to attend if they are going to take the time to set the obstacles up and deal with all of the work.

There is more information about it at

.http://www.grannygear.com

I will get back with more info when they respond

I really would like to go, but I will be on the left cost for the summer so I wont be able to make it.

Brian aka Bugger might be interested if he’s still out there.

Chex

I may be able to go. It’s about nine hours but if a few other unicyclists are going then I’m interested. I’ll have to check my schedule and make sure I’m not anywhere else first. How many are interested so far?

• Sal “Godfather” Gionfriddo

Count me in John. Any of the other Hell on Wheel members going?

Frank

Hey, I’ve only talked to Sam so far and he said he would think about it. I will ask the rest today.

I still have not heard back from www.grannygear.com
but hopefully in the next day or two they will respond.

Re: Trials competition in West Virginia

I’m interested in going. I just need a ride. If anyone is going from
Toronto, or if any one is driving through Toronto to get to the event and
has room me and my unicycle, I’d be happy to split costs. I could also get
to a nearby city by bus if it makes it any easier for some one.

Is there any talk about putting together a 24-hour unicycle team for the 24
hours of snowshow?

Jeff

“johnglazer” <johnglazer.n36xb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:johnglazer.n36xb@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I was wondering how many people would be interested in attending a
> trials competition in West Virginia. It is the 24 Hours Of Snowshoe on
> June 28. I have e-mailed the people in charge of the event about a
> Unicycle trials category. I assume that if they say yes, they will need
> a certain amount of people to attend if they are going to take the time
> to set the obstacles up and deal with all of the work.
>
> There is more information about it at
>
> http://www.grannygear.com
>
> I will get back with more info when they respond
>
>
> –
> johnglazer - member of Hell On Wheel
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnglazer’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3714
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/25027
>

Re: Re: Trials competition in West Virginia

I might feel up to it. How many people are usually needed for such a team?

I will probably be there but I will be racing in the bicycle race. I’ll bring my uni and hope to see others there too!

topside

dang

looks like they didnt take me seriously.
maybe if everybody that is interested e-mailed them about it, they would at least reply

Thats a great idea John. I will be sure to send them an e-mail, and tell them that there are hundreds upon thousands of other unicyclists planning on coming. They’ll have to have a unicycling event then. Everybody else should send e-mails too. I don’t know if I can go though…

I may be at Philmont then…

I’m interested but not sure yet if I can make it. In any case, if you haven’t heard anything back from the organizers, are you aware of this website:

http://www.natrials.com/2003/snowshoe.php

This site has more details on the trials aspect of Snowshoe.

I organized 12 unicyclists who competed at Motorama in February. While I was there I met a guy named Tim, who seems to be a big organizer in the bike trials world. He seems to have some involvement at Snowshoe- I noticed that his email address is listed: tim@trialsin.com

Tim’s a nice guy, he saw what we do and thought it was pretty cool. If you haven’t talked to him, he might be able to help. Make sure you are dealing with the trials organizers and not some peon dealing with the bike races.

In any case, you shouldn’t have any problem getting acceptance, but based on my experience at Motorama, here are a few tips:

At Motorama, the unicyclists picked the sections that looked rideable (as a group). We used the existing bike trials checkers. We agreed (for the most part) as a group, that stratodabs would count as a five. We built some sections on our own and included them in our course. We tried to be helpful and not create additional headaches for the organizers.

Basically, since we were organized as a group and we could figure out what we wanted to do, the whole thing came off pretty smooth and we had a blast.

Make sure you know the bike trials competition rules well. It helps to have a “spokesperson” for the unicyclists to act as the “go-to” guy. This way the bike trials organizers only need to deal with one person.

Hmm, wish I could make it. Snowshoe looks like a cool event. LMK if I can help. Trials events are definitely fun.

Joe

This all depends on

replied!

here is the e-mail I recieved today:
Hello John,

The people from Granny Gear productions forwarded your e-mail to me

since I am the one handling the trials competition.
At this point I don’t think I will have time to set up Unicycle
trials sections. If you want to come and set up your own sections, we
would certainly do the registration, scoring and everything else.
Let me know.
Enjoy,
Tim
Trialsin USA

I think I will go and set some stuff up as long as I have at least one or two other unicyclists. Tell me what you think

Re: replied!

Even if you’re the only unicyclist, do it. Have you seen trials bikers ride? Guys like JJ Gregorowics and Chris Santos will blow your mind.

Go even if just to watch, but ride and you’ll have more fun!

Joe

pro bike trials

I actually ride bike trials too! They are very amazing. I really do want to see them. I would go even if there arent any other unicyclists going, but I probably would just compete in bike trials.
On a bike trials forum, I asked if anybody else rode unis and they said no, but it was very impressive to see uni trials.

Re: pro bike trials

Did you do bike trials first and for how long?

Do you have a preference of bike or uni trials? One of these days I want to get a trials bike and try it out.

I had been doing uni trials for a while and had never seen bike trials - so when I finally saw it, it was a real eye opener.

Joe

Make sure you get premission to use the bike trials lines for the unicycle trials comp. if you can.

At flint and Motorama we used the Beginer and Sport lines to compete with. We rode along side the bikers and used the same rules as they did.

Even if you cant set up your own Uni trials course, using 5 bike trials lines will be a great time for unicycling. Mix and match sport and beginer lines even some experts are rideable on uni’s

Have fun
Chex

yeah

Merrill: I rode bike trials first. I rode it for almost a year before I learned to unicycle. I actually like uni trials more. A bike feels so big now and heavy. If oyu go to snowshoe, I will have my bike and you can try it out. It is more of an urban trials bike, so it isnt as light as some, but it is stull lots of fun.

Here is an e-mail I received

Hey T’Sinners,

Just a quick note about upcoming Snowshoe event...... the location for the competition has changed from the "village" to the Silver Creek Lodge area (where it was for the first two years).  Registration will be in Silver Creek Lodge.  All times remain the same.  Prizing will be at the 24 hour race podium.[B] Something new for this year.......... Unicycle trials!  We are welcoming our hoping one wheeled friends to the event this year... this should be a blast to watch![/B]
     On Sunday at 1pm will be invitation bunny hop contest.. some of the best in the country!  This will take place just in front of podium also.

Enjoy,
Tim Williamson

Thanks to anybody that e-mailed them about unicycling.
They have all the materials we would need, we just need to build the sections. If anyone is interested in going, send me a PM or just reply. I hope to see you all there.

I’m going! You already knew that though.