Trial uni for a heavy person

Can you prove this?

I would love to see some scientific basis for all the opinions that people on this newsgroup hand out as fact.

Plumsie

no scientific basis
just experience people had with different hubs/cranks and so on

Ryan Atkins for example went through profiles like butter (Kris said it here in the forum somewhere i think) and rides his first pair of moments for over a year now (as maximus unius said)

But that could just show improvements in technique or a loss of desire for “going big”

Until someone puts some strain gauges onto a variety of sets of hubs and cranks no-one will know for certain what is the strongest. Everything is subjective, I could say that I have been riding on my hub and cranks for 2 years now doing drops of up to 4 feet and riding down short flights of stairs and I haven’t bent or broken them yet so they must be the strongest (UDC wide flange Cromo Hub and Qu-Ax aluminium cranks). How many people would argue with that statement? I am not very light and I have done a lot of bouncing around and not broken what I have got, Does that mean it is the strongest? I doubt it. I know it is very strong but I am sure there are stronger hubs available but until someone demonstrates what is strongest and shows some decent scientific proof then NO-ONE will know for certain what is strongest.

Plumsie

Like silymarco said there is no measured data, just a lot of experience by really good riders.

Any splined hub and cranks are going to be much stronger than cotterless. Even if the hub is hardened CrMo steel.

Kris posted a while ago that Profile cranks would only last him a couple of months and he rode the moments for almost a year and not bent them.

If you are really conserned about wheel strength I’d consider sticking w/ the Qu-Ax. It’s heavier but I think it would be the strongest, because of the 48 spoke hub, and rim.

qu-ax

The good thing with qu-ax is that they have a branch office in Poland.
I thought about http://www.qu-ax.de/edata/htmls/m_munim24.html but i`m not sure about 24"… - maybe stay with the 20"?

I don’t see why unless through landing wrong or crashing out in some odd way that a frame would break it may have been just an odd occurance you saw you do ger faulty things being built. I’ve heard many reports on the rims breaking, at least the drilled ones anyway so i won’t comment on them.
I agree with above comments that there really needs to be some more scientific proof as why these instances appear more with Koxx than for others, you would think Koxx would do this test as surely all the bad reports do them no good at all.

I would think that you would be more likely to get the company that thinks they have the strongest hub and cranks doing the test so that they could say that they have got the best product rather than someone who suspects that their product is inferior proving it to people and putting them off buying it.

The real test would be if someone independant was to carry out the testing to prevent bias from creeping in. The important part though is getting some sort of accurate figures for the strengths of a variety of crank sets.

I think the best way would be to build a small rig that could hold a hub in the same way that it is fitted to a frame and then subject the cranks to an increasing amount of force as if pressure was being applied to the pedals whilst monitoring a strain gauge to record the maximum force prior to breakage/deformation of the hub or cranks.

The other advantage of having a rig built to do this sort of test is that it would allow the manufacturer/designer that had it to test different designs prior to manufacture to ensure that standards were improving not falling or at least staying the same when a product was changed to save money/cut costs.

Any volunteers to build a rig capable of this? KHU, Koxx, Profile, Onza?

Plumsie

well i wonder what sells best, KH20, or Koxx-one (but only their Trials/Street uni’s).

This is not retorical, i’d honestly like to see the numbers. But in EU i recon koxx probably sell more, which could explain more broken things. In US its defo the KH20. And not many have complained about the moment crank, so that can only be a good thing. Personally that would be my crankset of choice if i was buying a uni today.

So as far as frames go what do people think?
I’ve been thinking of getting a koxx devil frame as I want a black frame and i’d figured it was cheaper getting that then powder coating my current frame.
I currently have the KH06 frame which I can’t really complain about apart from one tiny thing and that is getting hold of replacement bearing clamps (had to order mine from bedford, cheers darren :sunglasses: ).
I realise that this is a technique issue really but the clamps don’t take much bashing to wear down before interfering with the bearings.
Would a koxx frame take this beating any better and is it still more or less impossible to get spare bearing clamps for these too?
What do people think?

i might be able to do some tests on them in collage using the machines we have i.e preasure,twisting, bending,downforce,puling apart tests and such like machines which will give out the accurate readings but i am not wiling to pay for any of the materials such as cranks and such like as i dont have the money to fund such tests.

The KH truck trials 300

KH could build us the truck trials 300 easily if he wanted to. Just use the same materials and construction he uses now, and doubling the load strength by using more metal. It would be more complex, to do a good job, then simply doubling of metal thickness, but you get the idea. Hopefully there is a suitable tire, and there you have it. A uni that takes repeated 8’ drops by a 387 lb. Samoan uni trials champion.
However, this still leaves the large problem of convincing Samoens to ride unicycles in large enough numbers to find one who can land an 8 ft. drop and not go splat. And then he can start selling the 22 lb. trials truck 300 to an eager world wide market.
And a big market it will be.

no offense meant, but that is the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard.

+1.

No fat guy would be a uni trials champ.

i have the koxx devil crmo frame and all i can say is that its holding up great. But the bearing clamps on the KH07 frame look beafier.

The clamps on the koxx frame look like the normal standart ones tbh… however you can get hold of those real easy. but honestly i wouldnt bother spending ur money on a koxx devil frame if its just for the bearing holders.

as for that massive uni… lol i just hopeu werent serious

Like Lutz said, no big things where made with the frame… it just cracked. Dont know the guy who owned the frame.

If you already got a KH frame… dont change it

If you want a black frame i would take this one:
http://www.einradladen.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9&products_id=59&language=en

way cheaper than the Koxx and without the ugly sticker lol :smiley:

And for the bearing clamp issue:
http://www.einradladen.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=8
They fit the 20 Inch standart frame

looks like the frame might have been badly welded or something… but thats pretty unlucky lol

It ain’t just for bearing clamps because I realise that would be stupid. I wanted a black frame and thought that would be the strongest and cheapest and wouldn’t add too much weight and it would be cheaper to buy a frame rather than paint what i already had.
I’ll maybe look into that other frame that Smilymarco suggested though as it even cheaper and hopefully replacement parts are easier to get in the UK.

Getting replacement bits for KH uni’s is hard in the UK.

koxx uses those exact clamp fittings on the devil frame, so getting replacements would be a doddle.

and yeah powdercoating would be more than a koxx frame probably lol.

I think what i’ll do is give those helpful boys at unicycle.com a ring and see what spares fit what and how easy it is to get them.
The only thing wrong with the other standard black frame is i’d have to buy seat post and clamp also as the ones on my uni now are different sizes.
But if Koxx also just use the standard clamps like fitted to nimbus and standrad frames then that would make replacement bits a load easier.
I’ll prob wait till BUC too to see what folk may be selling and what other people think of various uni’s and how they hold up.
Cheers for help and advice so far folks :slight_smile: