Traveling with my MUni

I live in Maryland and am taking the train up to Connecticut and I wanted to bring my KH-24 with me. I took the whole thing apart so I could fit it in my suitcase, but I had to put the seat post in my backpack. Has anyone traveled like this with their uni before, and have any idea about security having a problem with a giant metal rod with a seat on the end in my backpack? Also, does it matter which crank is the right one and which is the left?

Jason

I try not to carry anything on the palne, but a train is probably not as big a deal. Can’t imagine a highjacking on a plane.

It does matter which is right and left.

I was with my uni by plane in portugal and in greece. I just bought big suitcase and put everything inside. nobody look inside and it was ok. when I was coming back from greece a had the uni in my hand all the time. in the bus on the prom and so on. when I am traveling with the train I just have uni standing alone. I didnt pack it.

travels with a unicycle

hey hey,
I’ve done quite a lot of travelling with my unicycle. In favt I just gopt back from barcelona last night having been travelling up the east coast of Spain and spending a week or so in Barcelona. I find the easiest way to travel with a uni is just to wheel it around, and not bother taking it apart or anything. When I travel I tend to carry a big rucksack, a little rucksack and My uni (an onza 20"). Flying with a uni has never been a problem for me either. Depending on which airline you go with you may have to before getting on the plane…take off the pedals, let down the tyre a little or put the bottom half of the uni in a cardboard box and tape it up.
The best thing about flying with a unicycle is the looks on people’s faces when it comes around on the luggage carousel. Anyway, in short I would highly reccomend travelling with a unicycle mainly because you get to find many new places to ride. And if you’re travelling alone it’s a great conversation starter for those moments when you’re sat getting bored in a train station.
Anyhoo, happy trails
Kit

travels with a unicycle

hey hey,
I’ve done quite a lot of travelling with my unicycle. In favt I just gopt back from barcelona last night having been travelling up the east coast of Spain and spending a week or so in Barcelona. I find the easiest way to travel with a uni is just to wheel it around, and not bother taking it apart or anything. When I travel I tend to carry a big rucksack, a little rucksack and My uni (an onza 20"). Flying with a uni has never been a problem for me either. Depending on which airline you go with you may have to before getting on the plane…take off the pedals, let down the tyre a little or put the bottom half of the uni in a cardboard box and tape it up.
The best thing about flying with a unicycle is the looks on people’s faces when it comes around on the luggage carousel. Anyway, in short I would highly reccomend travelling with a unicycle mainly because you get to find many new places to ride. And if you’re travelling alone it’s a great conversation starter for those moments when you’re sat getting bored in a train station.
Anyhoo, happy trails
Kit

For those of you that are USA members, there will be a big, detailed story on packing unicycling for flying in the next issue. This issue has apparently just finished printing, and is about to hit the mail real soon!

That article follows much of what I’ve written here in the past, and covers your needs if you fly with two or more unicycles and need to pack them up. Having a single one and just using it as a piece of luggage can work, but can be risky, especially if you have a painted frame. Actually, any form of packed unicycles are still at risk (unless you build a fortress around them), but avoiding oversize and bicycle fees is my main goal. Plus by putting them in a big piece of luggage, there’s room for other stuff like tools, pads, Camelbak, etc. Plus my luggage looks like luggage, so it usually doesn’t attract any attention even though it’s pretty big!

I took my uni to Iowa. It mattered to me which crank was which, but it was easy to figure out since they only went on one way. I checked the bag the uni was in and everything came out fine, though they did take my allen wrenches.