Traveling with a Giraffe

Traveling with a giraffe

I know that recently we had a thread going about traveling with unicycles but now as my stable is getting bigger and as I’m planning to attend the MONDO Juggle-Unicycle Festival in St. Paul I’m beginning ot think about how do I get my soon-to-be new giraffe to St. Paul for the weekend.

Any experience – suggestions?

If you could have your giraffe built up with S&S couplings it could be disassembled for travel:

[URL=http://www.sandsmachine.com

I doubt it would take much more room than a regular uni!

Well, this suggestion does not work for a giraffe you already own; but you might want to consider a special model:

http://pichlerrad.de/de01.htm

Click “Giraffen”, then look for the “Travel” model.

Have fun,
Fred

Re: Traveling with a Giraffe

Tmornstar <Tmornstar.fx69n@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Traveling with a giraffe

> I know that recently we had a thread going about traveling with
> unicycles but now as my stable is getting bigger and as I’m planning to
> attend the MONDO Juggle-Unicycle Festival in St. Paul I’m beginning ot
> think about how do I get my soon-to-be new giraffe to St. Paul for the
> weekend.

> Any experience suggestions?

A car with a sun-roof. Just hope that
a) the weather is warm
b) the weather is dry
c) your route has no low bridges
d) your local police have a sense of humour.

Paul

Paul Selwood
paul@vimes.u-net.com http://www.vimes.u-net.com

My Schwinn giraffe (6’) has fit in every car I’ve ever owned. This includes 1975 VW Beetle, and 1972 Honda 600 N (one of those really tiny ones).

So I assume you need to take it on an airplane? I will assume also, for the sake of argument, that your giraffe is no bigger than my old Schwinn.

The Schwinn disassembles down to a frame that’s exactly 4’ long. This can fit into a large duffel bag or one of those rolling extendable bags I described in a recent thread about flying with your unicycles. Bring the tools with you, so you’re not helpless. I think all you need for a Schwinn is a pair of adjustable wrenches. And something to wipe your hand with when you’re through. Bring some ziplock bags for the chain and small parts, and a garbage bag to hold the wheel (makes it easier to pack, and cleaner).

Have a great trip!

I was awakened at 3:00 am this morning from a frightful dream where I arrived at the MONDO festival with a bent uni. (My wife says that I don’t have REAL dreams; I just think while I’m sleeping.) But you are all right this IS a manageable beast.

Thanks John for reminding me that my soon-to-arrive 5’ giraffe can be shortened with the help of a 6” crescent wrench. Your assumption was right about my intention of putting this animal on a plane.

I am planning on removing the chainwheel crank arm for air transport to prevent this from being damaged, along with the wheel and seat. I think that I can easily put these components in the bag with my other uni. If I do that, the giraffe suddenly becomes something that will fit in about a 4’ X 6" dia. tube.

Ahh, yes. This will be OK and I will wake up in Kansas, thanks to the help from the Wizard of Ahhhhs.

i don’t tend to take my girrafe anywhere unless its working
and i 've stopped taking any juggling clubs to conventions too. i just take a trials unicycle and a huge heavy bag of acrilic contact juggling balls. theyre the only things i wouldn’t like to borow from someone else, because you can break them.
then i’ve got just enough room for a spare teeshirt i’ll never wear and a bottle of chilli vodka.
there will probably be other girrafes their anyway. brought by people with vans.