Greetings fellow unicyclists -
I’m seeking advice on planning a trip from the United States to France with the specific goal of climbing Alpe d’Huez on my Nimbus Drak 29”. I suffered an unfortunate fractured patella on my bike about a month ago, that and the subsequent surgery completely killed my summer of 2013 So, I’m going through some sort of “immobility crisis” where I’m doing a lot of planning and buying up equipment and gear in anticipation of a full recovery (gotta keep a positive attitude right?). This injury has taught me that life is in fact very short and to quote Warren Miller: If you don’t do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.
Who am I kidding? I can’t even walk yet but I’m really looking forward to riding again, One item on my bucket list is to climb the 21-hairpin turns on the road leading to Alpe d’Huez.
I’ve not traveled internationally so I have no idea how to go about this. Here are my specific goals:
- This is not intended to be a multi-week sightseeing or tourist trip, just several days.
- The specific goal is to complete the road climb.
- I would like to ride some muni at Alpe d’Huez if there’s any available.
Advice I’m looking for concerns mainly travel logistics:
- Flights - nearest major airport? Travel from airport to mountain (train, car, unicycle?).
- Transporting/shipping my Drak 29”, helmet, and safety gear.
- Lodging - I’d like to stay at or nearby the mountain.
I’m also interested in hearing from anyone who has done this, either a local European or from the U.S.
Are there any interested parties that would like to join me (it’d be fun to ride with someone else)? Timeframe is August/September/October 2014 - hopefully I will be riding by then
I appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have.