Training for 100 mile ride

I think that whilst alcohol is possibly not a performance enhancer, part of the point of that CAKE thing was that when you’re actually doing exercise, really all your body wants is a load of stuff that you’d like to eat that is mainly carbohydrates, and that taking a load of expensive crazy brand name supplements is nice enough, but that you can really get just as much energy from a bunch of nice to eat, cheap things without going into all the science (pseudoscience) that the people who make energy supplements sell you. So it is actually a perfectly sensible diet for during exercise (and beers afterwards is a nice thing to do too.)

I know of a few bike events that have been won primarily on Haribo, Jelly Babies, bananas, cake etc. They might not be a great long term diet plan, or a weight loss diet or anything, but if you eat a lot of them regularly they keep you going fast and let you push yourself beyond what you do in your normal riding. I’ve done 100 mile plus rides primarily on cake, sweets, chip shop visits etc. Distance nutrition isn’t complicated - you just need lots of food, things that are easy to digest that you want to eat.

Joe

Yep, there’s a time and a place for just about every drug, although many people overuse them when there are better solutions to their health problems. The body can do amazing things when it is given good food, exercise, and sleep.

Excuse me now. All this talk of food is making me hungry. Time for lunch. I’ve got a 60 mile training ride tomorrow. Better start loading up. I can see dinner now, Oysters Rockefeller, a bottle of McEwan’s Scotch Ale, salad, a loaf of bread and a few rounds of darts with friends. yummmmmm

Geoff

Crap I lost my post… let me hit the high points

First the serious/sincere stuff:

Mr Quack, I appreciate the humor and tone with which you came back to this thread with. It says a lot about you. Clearly a healer in more ways than one. Good on ya’ mate.

LOL out at emergen-c as a gateway drug.

Some stuff about your electrolyte elixir being nourishing for both Yin and Yang but a poke at you about your choice of Taurine as in okay your are no pill pusher but I got my eye on you.

Some sentences about why I tend to be a nervous Nelly about the miracle pill pushers. A mention of a summer training with Kick Boxer as an example. A mention about living/training very close to the original Golds Gym. Some talk about how racquetball playing and later swimming put me in the sauna and steam room with the strenght/body builders. People talk. Phone numbers but not names are exchanged. I joke that even the natural body builder have running accounts at GNC which I call a pill store. Speaking of Pill stores I mention that I worked five years here:

http://www.earthbeamfoods.com

a good size, independently owned health food store in business with the same owner since 1971. I brag that when I worked there the bulk herb section was larger than the vitamin section. We even had the good stuff like Sassafras which the Fed’s banned in 1960. External use only, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

A few tales of things like trying to run a 10k (not my best sport) after a 3 day juice fast, or being told by my running buddies I had to stop eating raw garlic clovers if I wanted to keep running with them.

My experience taking an herbal energy tablet that had a good amount of Ma Huang before a martial arts promotion test. Not fun at all and I support the banning of it. When I went home and laid down my heart was playing hop scotch and four square. Not a pleasant sensation. For those how don’t know Ma Huang is Ephedra which is now banned as too dangerous.

A bunch of stuff about yin and yang, tao te ching, pulse diagnosis, triple heater, five elements blah blah blah.

I mention that my friends called me Kwai Chang Cain (some of you younger will need to look that up) putting me clearly in the wussy nature freak category.

A few notes on my current supplement regime given my wussy nature.

I sum it up with: See Quackery spoken here.

Then I join the regularly scheduled program and mention that a single malt is probably an OK thing, I think most traditional things are, and mention my vice of really dark, bitter chocolate. I consider this a supplement and have one or two squares most days. Not every day but most days.

I wrapped up with saying that when I did drink I enjoyed Widmer Hefeweizen an unfiltered wheat beer. With a slice o’ lemon.

Oh yeah one more thing I talked about, going from a fairly strict macrobiotic diet to a ‘college’ diet of pizza slices (two slices folded like a sandwich and eaten on the run between classes,) Peanut M&Ms (they got peanuts in them they are good for you) Twizzlers (fruit obviously) and hydrate with Mountain Dew. Just the thing for 14 hour days in the computer lab. Just the thing for gaining 65 pounds in six years. Of which I lost 55 of in the first couple of years after college.

I make a joke about selling my trademarked diet for $1.50 and you don’t have count calories because I have never seen a calorie so I wouldn’t know what to count.

Now I’m posting this before my Firefox spontaneously combusts again on this beta version of Linux I’m using.

NQ, your dinner sounds good. What do you play 701? Do you play on Bristle or wussy plastic? My best round is laughable so I won’t ask you yours and I play on wussy plastic so I don’t have to do math in my head.

I crack up everytime I read this:

So the questions are: “Is Geoff some whacked out drug pusher who believes in better living through chemistry? Will he try and seduce young unicyclists with promises of 100 mile races won in record time if only they take the evil cortisol? Or is he some wussy nature freak who considers Emergen-C a gateway drug?” Who is right? Inquiring unicyclists need to know. "

If it wasn’t so long I’d make it my signature!!! What is it that larry the cable guy says. I don’t care who ya are, that’s funny right there!

And I need all the laughs I can’t get today.

All the bickering on this thread, and I can’t believe nobody has pointed out the real problem, which is the inept thread title. You’re not training for a 100 mile ride. You’re training for back-to-back-to-back 33 mile rides. These are VERY different things.

Good thing most of your advice givers figgered that out. You’ll make it no problem.

Ezas,
That’s DOCTOR Quack to you!:stuck_out_tongue:

One of my principles of treating my patients is that there is no morality in biochemistry. I’ll leave that judgment to those involved with ethics, religion and politics. Molecules influence our physiology, some are good, some less so, some downright poisonous. As in unicycling, everything should stay in balance.
Taurine is good stuff. Just because it is put into those trashy energy drinks doesn’t mean it’s actually bad for you. Guilt by association? They put water in them too, right? We all make taurine. When we eat animal products we eat it too. It is not a steroid or anything remotely similar. It is not a stimulant either, quite the opposite. Among many functions, it assists in the transport of magnesium into cells. This allows muscles to relax, without sedating them. Magnesium is a very important cation. Many people are deficient in it, mostly due to their diets of refined food substitutes. Other people have an increased need for it. Absorption is difficult. Magnesium oxide is so poorly absorbed that it works mostly as a laxative. Magnesium taurate is much better absorbed, not just from the intestine into the blood stream, but also from the blood stream into the muscle cells. I use magnesium taurate with many of my patients who suffer from: congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmia, hypertension, chronic muscle spasms, etc. There is a lot of research out there on magnesium and taurine. Check out the Wikipedia article on Taurine. It’s a good summary of many of the high points of the taurine research.

Don’t worry about the dark chocolate. It’s not a vice. A moderate amount of dark chocolate has been shown to reduce the oxidative level of cholesterol. Dark chocolate is a health food. Just don’t eat too much. Balance, balance, balance.
Widmer Hefeweizen with lemon? Eeww! :smiley: I started drinking Widmer back in the mid '80s before they started bottling it. I’m not much of a beer drinker now, but back then I much preferred their Bock.

The patients that I find are the least healthy and most difficult to bring around are the ones who are super inflexible and dogmatic about being perfect in all of their health choices. Usually they are strict vegans. Everything in moderation, especially moderation. In order to be healthy you’ve got to have some fun. For me that includes the occasional round of steel tipped (not wussy plastic) darts (We play Cricket in this town) with friends, a glass of Balvenie single malt scotch and oysters Rockefeller. If you ever pass through Ashland, drop me a line.

Oh by the way, just to keep this from being an egregious example of thread jacking, I had a good training ride of 56 miles yesterday. Wearing both my cycling shorts and cycling long pants gave me a little extra and much needed padding. I got that tip from someone else in a different thread I think. Thanks, whoever said that. My new KH FFR seat seems a bit too hard though. I might switch back to my 2007 KH FFR seat.
Total elapsed time of the ride (including breaks) was about 7 hours. I’m going to have to pick up the pace quite a bit if I want to achieve 100:10:1 The last 10 miles were into a head wind and SLOW.
I hope there is good food available on the Reach The Beach route. I can’t ride that subsisting on bananas.
Oh yeah, and my knees are creaky.

Geoff

Wow, a long training :slight_smile:
I aimed today at 20 miles, but due to the weather and hangover (I started late because of the party yesterday) I’ve done just 8. Anyway I think it was a good training and definitely I’m back on this track :slight_smile:

And my backpack got pretty much magnesium today when my drink spilt inside :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

35 mile ride on Virgina Creeper Trail

Hi,

I just completed a very fun 35 mile training ride on the Virginia Creeper Trail.
However the temperature was a rather hot 83 degrees. I learn a few lessons on this trip.

My legs were hot wearing knee pads and feet were also hot with winter shoes.

I will definitely sacrifice the knee pads and get lighter cooler shoes for my 33mile/day charity ride in May. I think the knee pads definitely caused some overheating issues around my knees.

Not sure about with the Uni, but for long distance multi day hikes I carry a spare pair of boots and change shoes every day… Gives them a day to dry out from the sweat while you wear the other pair

Dr Quack. I found my FFR pretty hard too. Last night I did a foamectomy and replaced the top layer of soft grey foam to a high density visco elastic foam. Under the grey foam is a higher density foam in two channels these channels have vertical glue lines and I think they may contribute to the 09/10 FFR feeling hard. I won’t be able to test my reupholstery job for another day or two. Waiting for a slight groin strain to heal up. I’m up to some very light stretching on it. But I thinking its going to be better.

Ezas,
I’ve been tinkering with the idea of tinkering with either of my seats. I’m not sure if I should add some more padding to my 2007 KH FFR seat or remove some of the hard foam and replace it with something softer on my 2010 KH FFR seat. What is this high density visco elastic foam? I was wondering about maybe shaving the 2010 seat down and adding a layer of gel stuff. Let me know how your new career in saddle upholstery turns out. You might have a customer here eagerly awaiting for your services.
Geoff

I’ll post some pictures later today, Probably wont ride it till tomorrow. I want to make sure this groin pull is fully healed.

Here is a link to the foam I bought, though there is not much info about what kind of foam it is. But it is open cell, and does hold an imprint for 5-10 seconds. I bought it from these people since they sell small pieces, and in three different densities. I went for the highest density. When I first got it I was like holy schnikes this foam is firm but it really is not as firm as it seems at first. When I post the pictures you can see why I think the seat might feel firm once you have packed out the soft foam the FFR is covered with. I was impressed by the multilayer foam on the FFR but my backside sure wasn’t impressed.

The foam was very easy to work with with just a bread knife, a rasp and some 60 grit sand paper.

Going along with this, what would be the advice for a 100 mile, one day adventure? Specifically, if I rode 25 miles for the first time a few days ago and I wanted to do a 100 mile ride a month from now, what would be a good riding plan?

Also does the speed advantage of 114mm cranks hold up over those lengths on mixed terrain (all paved) or is 125mm a more comfortable and therefore energy efficient choice?

Thanks

Justtysen,
If you want to ride 100 miles a month from now then you better put in 50 miles this weekend. You’ll learn things on the long rides that you can’t learn on shorter rides. Things like how your butt hurts after 50 miles and ways to redistribute your weight. What kind of handlebars help you do that? What kind of food do you want to eat after 60 miles? How much food do you need? How dazed and confused are you after 70 miles? How do 114 mm cranks vs 125 mm cranks affect your knees after 80 miles?

I figure that if I can put in 80 miles in 8 or 9 hours and still be coherent enough to maintain balance and keep pedaling then I can probably make it to 100. I’ll be attempting my first century in a little over a month. I’m absolutely certain that my training rides will all be less than 90 miles. Probably less than 80. On the day of the big ride I’m going to have to push myself farther than I ever have before. That’s why we do this, after all.

I can’t help you out with crank length suggestions. I’m pushing on 165’s on my 36" Schlumpf. Obviously terrain will play a big role in how short you can go.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.

I’m planning for a 50 mile ride tomorrow. Funny thing though is that I have a different handlebar and seat set-up than I plan to be using by the end of next week, so maybe I’ll learn the wrong lessons.:stuck_out_tongue:

Either way I’m pretty confident that with the right course I can do 50 tomorrow, and I’ll see from there.

Not sure what the route for the 100 will be like yet, but hopefully fairly flat and smooth.

I’ll be riding my first ever century, and just have a few questions for those who have done at least one before. First is about tire pressure. I’ll be on smooth, mostly flat concrete for the entire distance, and was wondering if I should keep my nightrider tire at full 65psi, or maybe around 40-45, to have at least some better shock absorption. Would this lower pressure decrease long-term saddle soreness? Would I be better off going with max psi for the least rolling resistance?

In addition to my regular 4-5 day MUni rides, I’ve also been doing training rides on my 36er, and putting on lots of miles in preparation. But I’m also wondering if I should pre-ride the whole 100, or if that’s even necessary. I’ve ridden the entire route before, although not all of it on the same ride, but I know the course.

I’m also thinking that I should not ride at all at least a 2-3 days before, so my body-mostly legs-can fully recover from all the training, and also allow my leg muscles to store as much glycogen as possible while I’m carb-loading in the days before the ride. Kris told me that if I refrain from riding just in the last few days before the big ride, that I’ll not only be fully recovered, but I’ll be so full of energy that I’ll be rarin’ to go! Maybe I’ll feel like a racehorse dying to break out of the starting gate!

Love to hear your thoughts, advice and any other insights you might have to share. I’m really looking forward to this ride! I’m also doing this to benefit the American Cancer Society. I hope you will go here to help support this very worthy cause. :slight_smile:

PS: I made this little card to hand out in the days before the ride.

Go terry!

Woo Hoo! You got my ten bucks. Come on all you one wheelers, lets represent unicyclists in the fund raising world. Who would be a better figurehead than Terry?

Tire pressure: I usually ride with about 40-45 psi in my Wheel TA. I’ve never pumped it up to 65 psi so I couldn’t tell you what it’s like. I do remember that for the last 20 miles of my last century the bumps where definitely making an impact. Ouch! This is the sort of thing that training rides will teach you.

I don’t think that riding the whole course in one day is necessary. If you can do 80 miles in one day, then you should be able to push yourself to 100. When I was training for my 104 mile century I did ride 105 miles in one day about a month before the 104 mile ride, but that was by accident. I honestly thought that I was only riding about 80 miles. Oops! Oh well, what’s an extra 25 miles, anyway?

Definitely take a few days off before the big ride. I rode 25 miles three days before my century and then only about 1 1/2 miles each day on the two days before the century. I figured I wanted to keep my legs moving without stressing them. You don’t want to go into a century with sore legs.

Best of luck, give us a good write up when you’re done.

Geoff

Thanks so much Geoff for the advice and your donation! It would be so cool if there was just 1 donation for each mile! Whatever people can give will be so greatly appreciated, especially by those who know, or have lost a loved one, as I have, to cancer.

Initially I wanted to do this ride to raise awareness for prostate cancer, since I’m in the age range that periodic testing is so important, but then I thought making it more generalized to cover all forms of cancer would be best. The four most common are Lung, breast, prostate and colon cancer.

Short version carbo load

For one short method to carbo load you should match event day stress and heart rate for three minutes the day before your event. I would recommend a light week of training with a one third to one half event ride three or four days before event.

If my route has road crown I use 50 to 55 psi. If no crown I pump it up to 60 to 65 psi. I train at 45 to 50. If I need stress in shorter miles I run 25 to 30 psi.

Have lots of fun.

That sounds interesting and well planned. Yeah, I will probably do a very short, light ride the day before just to stay loose, and do lots of stretching too.

PS: I updated my card. Even though all the ACS info is on my website, I thought it should mention it on the card as well. :slight_smile: