torker LX 24 or 26

Hi, I’m new here. I havent ridden a uni in 35 years but want to get one again. I have been shopping on the web and found this site.

http://bicyclesource.us/itemlist.cfm?category=153

They have free shipping on unicycles. They have the Torker LX24 for $119 and the Torker LX26 for $129.

My question is this, if I need to re-learn how to ride a uni after 35 years, is a 26 inch wheel to big? I think that I would prefer the 26 once I re-learn to ride but I’m not sure if it would be to much for me at the start.

Everyone recommends the 24 inch for learning but would you get the 26 inch for only $10 more?

Thanks for all the advice you can give.

Tim:)

I am a big fan of the 26" wheel size so my opinion may be skewed

I would say get the 26 with both 125 and 150mm cranks. Re-learn with the 150s on then swap them out for the 125s once you are comfortable for a smoother faster ride.

…then you will realize that you want something faster and something better for hopping and end up getting yourself a new 36er and a trials, then a better 26 MUni and then another 20 and a 24" Muni and a skinny wheel for the 26er…

If you are going to focus more on riding around without doing tricks I would not hesitate to get the 26.

Thanks for the advice, my plan is to just ride around the sub-division, then maybe ride the paved trails around the parks. Nothing fancy.

Thanks, Tim

Re: torker LX 24 or 26

On Sep 26, 11:36 am, saskatchewanian
<saskatchewan...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> I am a big fan of the 26" wheel size so my opinion may be skewed
>
> I would say get the 26 with both 125 and 150mm cranks. Re-learn with
> the 150s on then swap them out for the 125s once you are comfortable for
> a smoother faster ride.
>
> …then you will realize that you want something faster and something
> better for hopping and end up getting yourself a new 36er and a trials,
> then a better 26 MUni and then another 20 and a 24" Muni and a skinny
> wheel for the 26er…
>
> If you are going to focus more on riding around without doing tricks I
> would not hesitate to get the 26.
>
> –
> saskatchewanian
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> saskatchewanian’s Profile:http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180
> View this thread:http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/73121
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com

dang dude how many unis do you have ? lol… really though, i can’t
wait till i have an excuse to have a different uni for whatever riding
mood i’m in.

Yeah, get that

That’s a good price for a quality uni. 26 " tires are a lot more common, and if you think that’s what you want, that’s a good uni at a good price IMHO.

I sorta had to learn again. Start along a wall. The first day was kinda disappointing, but I was having a lot of fun the second day.:wink:

Go for the 26" I learned on one, worked fine. Easy to find tires, very good uni for the price.

I’ve got a torker LX 24" for sale for 75, almost new if you’re intrested. I only used it for about a month and a half or so.

It’s in pretty good shape.

My old unicycle was 26 and I went 30 years without riding. A year ago I got a Torker LX26 and it took about an hour before I could ride up and down the street again. I’m very glad I didn’t get the 24. If you rode a 24 back in the olden days, you should do great with a 26.

The LX26 comes with 170mm cranks which will work very well for muni. I got the 127mm a few months ago. I wish I had got them sooner, now I’m antsy to get the smallest cranks. Torker cranks are very inexpensive - for the LX anyway.

The 26 is a great size, but it will make it harder to justify a 29. You’re going to have to go straight to 36.

My only complaint - it’s hard to get replacement parts for Torkers and the people who ship them are not-too-competent.

I broke my 24" learner unicycle at the axle, and just got the Nimbus 26" Muni… I think the 165mm cranks seem more familiar to me since they are much closer in throw to mountain bike cranks! The 150mm cranks offered a similar leverage on the 24" wheel -but just felt funny. (I am just learning -so I thought it was unicycling that felt funny!) When I hopped onto the new rig, it seemed possible to idle, and was easier to freemount! Depending on the tire size, I’m traveling 6-10" further than the 24" wheel, and the difference in handling doesn’t seem drastic.

The bigger wheel makes the bumps smaller, but the shorter wheel takes the lumps better… however, a $130 unicycle will not tolerate off road for very long. I had to replace my learner after a months worth of learning on pavement -after replacing the tire, pedals, seat collar, and seat! If you know you will get back into it -just buy the better one even to sell it later! Because, depending on how this breaks, it won’t be worth fixing or even giving away!

I disagree with ^ about reliablity

Cranks for a torker lx or ax ,or any cotterless uni, are cheap. Riding it on the street or dirt, it is unlikely anything will break before you have worn out a few tires. Just don’t hop a lot or off high things. A 14 $ set of odyessy plastic pc pedals is all these unis really need. The bearings are generic 1 $ each, the parts pretty low cost and standard. Google for what you need. My ax torker came with an Alex rim etc. Parts are standard and cheap for the lx and ax Torkers.