Torker LX 20" or Club Freestyle 20"?

Ok so I narrowed it down to these 2 uni’s for my first uni. I know I would like to get a Muni later on, but to start learning a 20" will do (I’m 5’7", 162lbs, 29" inseam). Since I dont know anything about the component, could some look at these and tell me which is better and could possibly last longer? Again this is my learner one so…

These are the specs for the Torker LX:
Torker lx saddle, Seat post: 300mm, 25.4mm black steel with H style 4 bolt mount; Seat post clamp: Black double bolt; Frame: 20" Steel frame with 40mm with maincap bearing housings; Hub/axle: 48 hole steel, cotterless, 92mm center to center bearing; Spokes: 14G. (182mm in length for 4X); Rim: Single wall aluminum; Tire: 20" x 1.95 kenda K-rad; Crank arms: 127 black, aluminum Chrome Steel; Pedals: Plastic, 9/16 threads; Approx. cycle weight: 12 lbs.

Now the Club 20":
Club saddle; Seat post: Club 25.4mm x 300mm chromed steel or aluminum with a welded rectangular mounting bracket, 4 hole; Seat post clamp: Nimbus (black) quick release, aluminum; Frame: Nimbus II 20" steel with 40mm stamped maincap bearing housings; Hub/axle: UDC cotterless 36H, hardened splindle,100 mm center bearing to center bearing;
Spokes: 14G. stainless chrome (184mm in length for 3X); Rim: Club 20" 36H, singlewall, aluminum; Tire: Kenda Kikzumbut 20" x 1.95"; Crank arms: United (chrome) 114mm, cotterless, steel; Pedals: United, 9/16" threads, plastic;
Approx. cycle weight: 11 lbs.

Price is similar on both models as well as weight and overal most of the parts. The question is is the Nimbus frame of the Club better that the one on the Torker? what about the hub/axle and rim? As I said I know they are similar but I have never had one so not sure durability or quality so a little help will be appreciate it.

I purchased a Nimbus Club for my daughter when she was about 20 years old and although she doesn’t ride it much anymore it’s still in good shape. It’s a really basic medium quality freestyle uni, great to learn on and will probably last quite a while so long as you don’t do drops and such.

I also puchased a Torker LX for my son when he was about the same age. It’s a little beafier and can handle more abuse but I still wouldn’t do any large drops on it. The durability is why I bought it, versus the Club, since he is like me and tends to break things. Many riders in our club have the LX and have been fine with it, even doing some minor trials riding. One other advantage to the LX when you get to doing stand-up skills is the relatively large, flat crown. This gives you a better platform to stand on. If you get to that level the LX Pro is even better.

One caveat on the LX, the seat bolt pattern is different than most. It’s called an “H” pattern and used to be common on Miyata unicycles. Both the LX and TX come with this bolt pattern, I don’t know why. If you ever want to upgrade the saddle you will need to replace both the saddle and the seatpost. Luckily seatposts aren’t expensive.

LOL well I just measured again and indeed my inseam is about 31" (which makes sense since I use pants with a 32" inseam) so then this actually puts me on the 24" tire instead of the 20" according to unicycles.com sizing option. Well then again my choices are the same but in the 24" tyre diameter instead…or still get a 20" but with a longer seat post like maybe the torker LX pro with longer frame

Both those 20s come with 300m seat posts. Neither should be a too short for your inseam, even without the long neck frame. It costs a little more but the LX Pro is better than both of them. I have one and I am pretty happy with it. The LX Pro is only available in 20", if you are thinking about a 24 you are back to the Club or the LX.

The wheel size/inseam guidelines are just general recommendations. You can learn on either. If you plan on practicing in a relatively small area (gym, basketball court, the block in front of your house) and focusing on improving your control and learning skills, then 20 is fine. If you plan on tooling around the neighborhood a lot after you learn to ride, then you’ll probably be happier with the 24.

Martin

True, dat. I have a 32inch inseam and have a 400mm frame post tube. That keeps people from riding my uni most of the time. :astonished: Learning to ride is easier on a 20 for most people, I tried to learn on a 24 and had trouble with the amount of torque required to move the wheel properly. I can do it now but have been riding for seven years. I strongly suggest starting on a 20 but the choice is up to you.