Torker Airseat

Now that I have a Miyata seat, I can’t ride my original Torker at all. But I can’t let the uni go unused, so I’m going to try and make an airseat for it. It might not work, but at least I’d have tried. Here’s a beta of my plan:

Using canvas or nylon canvas, make a "bag for a 6 (or 8) inch tire
This wil be shaped much like the original seat. The canvas bag should help the tube keep it’s shape.

Using the same material as the bag, make a seat cover. I will have to figure out a way to make the bag and the cover connect. Velcro? I’m hoping to make the cover fit snugly over the seat and bag with some sort of lace system to keep it secure.

The tube will have to be inflated prior to being placed in the cover. I think I might make a hole in the bag for the valve.

Another thing I was thinking about is it make the center of the seat concave. I would do this by making some way for the center of the bag to be pinched in. I was thinking I could use some sort of lace syatem to do this.

As I stated before, I’m not sure if it’s going to work but I’d feel better if I tried.
Any suggestions? Comments? Questions?

I have never made an air seat before so I really don’t know what I’m doing.

Daniel

That sounds like a worthy project! I think you should be able to put eyelets along the bottom edge of the bag and lace it underneath the saddle. That will be adjustable and strong. Velcro might be a nice way to cover the laces, but I doubt it would hold up on its’ own.

Have fun - and post lots of pictures!

Tim

Are you trying to make an airseat out of a stock Torker seat? If so, can you reuse the original cover? That way you could make the tube bag and put it in place of the seat foam then put the original cover on top. Miyata air seat conversions are sometimes (were originally) done this way. Cut a hole in the bag for the valve stem and drill a hole in the seat base. Then you can inflate it after it’s installed.

The seat is stilled too small.

i think muddycycle made a kind of over cover out of some Levis for a Torker seat.maybe he could elaberate

Harper,
I don’t believe the original torker seat has a cover. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

I will take a closer look at it tonight.

On a side note, I think I’m going to sell the uni this was going to go on. I have an extra stock torker seat that was on my old, now broken, 20 inch uni. I think I will still attempt the project, but I’m not quite as motivated now.

Another side note: Do they make 6 or 8 inch tubes? I just came from my LBS and they only had 12. I know I could try folding a 12 or 16, but I would prefer to have the smaller tube.

Daniel

Good idea.

Greg,

I can just imagine that…“Hold on a second, I’m just pumping up my saddle” :).

Daniel,

Good luck…it sounds likea great idea.
Andrew

Hehe

Pump me up Scotty!!