Top Speed

So,

Whats the fastest speed someone has gone on a 36 inch :thinking:

25mph-ish i think. do a search, this kinda thread pops up every so often.

I’ve hit about 53ish :stuck_out_tongue:
That would be freaky

That’s nothin’ I’ve clocked my 36er at 65! But it was in my car at the time!:wink:

Yeah, I might try to go for some kind of record. :roll_eyes:

I think the world record is about 30 something mph but I can’t remember exactly, I personally have hit about 23.5 mph, I hope to beat that soon when I get the 89mm cranks.

I won’t be pulling off any crazy speeds with my 150 mm cranks.

By the way can you get cycle computers for a commuter?

I have 125’s and I just ordered a pair of 89’s a few weeks ago, and a pair of 110’s… I REALLY want a speed record… don’t ask why I just like speed…

yes I have a Cateye Enduro 8 it’s a wired cyclometer, and works great, there is a thread or two about the measurement to use with your cycle computer.

OK I can look tha up!:smiley:

The IUF’s web site lists the 100m and 400m as the shortest sprints. I have no idea which distance would result in the highest measured speed, because these are standing starts.

Bikes use a flying 200m to record top speeds. So maybe a flying 100m for us?

I think I’ll get a wireless computer. So theres less that can go wrong. I’ll try some of those sprints you thalked about. Our school has a really nice track.:slight_smile:

a wired one is actually probably going to be easier, at least that’s what I understand from reading through the forums…

44.8km/h is my fastest done. :smiley: :smiley:

1) Yes you did. :smiley:
and
2) Yes you will.

Usually that’s true, but in my experience, once the Cateye wireless cyclometer is all set up, it doesn’t miss a beat.

I second Joseppi. I have burned through 2 cheap wired computers and one good wired computer. The only setup that hasn’t failed me is the cateye wireless. Its great and really looks nice without all the wires.

Re: speed on ungeared 36er.

Does anyone know what the highest VERIFIED speeds on unicycles are? Like at a NAUCC meet, or by some other impartial refereeing body. Based on those numbers, we can quickly figure those rider’s rpms.

Here’s a little (aproximate) speed to rpm chart for a 36 inch wheel:

10mph = 96 rpm
15 = 144 rpm
18 = 172 rpm
22 = 211 rpm
25 = 240 rpm
30 = 288 rpm

In bicycle racing 200 rpm is all but unheard of, and then only in the cases of the sickest, sprinting pros. Granted, their cranks are longer than ours. Aside from feet-on-tire coasting, claims of well over 200 rpm, let alone 250 rpm or more, should, IMO, be viewed skeptically, even if they’re down a hill. If you’re there, then I have some kryptonite to sell you.

I love all you guys, but cycle computers can have errors, speed guns may be recording your forward-most pedal’s speed instead of your own forward movement. An accurate, flying-start 100m timing course would be the only way to convince me that some of these speeds mentioned are possible.

Steve, I think there have been believable coker speeds of 25mph or so. Good speedy coker riders (not me) will commonly reach a sustainable 20mph on shortish cranks. A few credible people have vouched for a near-30mph burst downhill.

Yes, amazingly high cadence, but it seems there are people who can do it. I don’t believe Hazmat’s claim of 44mph though - I’m sure he’s either mistaken or lying (or a superhero), even with his ‘special 40" tyre’.

Personally, I’m happy spinning 150rpm on 170s on my bike in a sprint (45mph, 50 chainring, 13 sprocket, 700x28c tyres), which means in theory I ought to be able to spin faster with 150s on the unicycle - and I can on the 26" muni (something like 180rpm in an all-out sprint), but on the coker also with 150s anything over 15mph feels really unstable and dangerous for some reason. I’m just not a good coker speedster.

Rob

The other big confusion seems to be in setting up the cycle computer in Kilometers and the rider assuming it is miles per hour. So, fwiw, I re-did the calculations, but included a km/h column;

mph	   km/h	   rpm
10	   16	    93
15	   24	   140
18	   29	   168
22	   35	   206
25	   40	   234
30	   48	   280
35	   56	   327
40	   64	   374

My figures are slightly less than yours, but that could be due to the amount of decimal points Excel uses.

Of course, this is just for a 36" wheel again. Anyone with a custom made pneumatic 48" wheel will have to work our their own figures :smiley:

STM