top 10 reasons to ride

thanks everyone. keep them coming.

i don’t think any serious cyclist would switch over for fitness reasons. well, maybe improved balance is a fitness reason.

-The direct drive means that there is no option to change down a gear and take it easy up a hill, and also no option to coast down the other side. This probably helps with smooth pedalling.

-Unicycles are extremely low-maintenance compared to bikes. No need to clean the chain or service the shocks, because there aren’t any.

-Bike racks suck, and unicycles are much easier to chuck in the back of a car than bikes. Unicycle’s also combine well with public transport.

-Unicycles are slower and more challenging than bikes, so require less road or trail to have a fun ride. If your local trails have got boring on the bike, trying them on a unicycle will give them a new lease of life. Also, shorter routes are easier to plan for, so you can spend more time riding.

-Unicycles are cheap. You can get a top of the range unicycle for the price of a pretty average bike.

-It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.

Edit- I forgot the most important reason, it’s fun!:smiley:

It’s the closest i’ve found to those ‘flying’ dreams so far - most things feel like i’m driving something - bicycles, 4-wheel ATV’s, cars, airplanes all feel like a vehicle. Walking feels like walking. Unicycling you see yourself moving in a direction, you move your feet, and you fly over that way.
Went back out tonight for an hour or soand managed to turn a couple corners, thus got in several 200+ foot runs. Though I spent about 20 minutes in the middle seemingly unable to mount the damn thing at all, too, never quite figured out why, but the dry run stopped after awhile.

I always thought it was the other way around…

Riding a unicycle enables you to do something nobody’s done before, like the various unicycle tours, entering 24hr MB races on unicycles and the Three Peaks Unicycle Challenge that we’ll be doing this weekend. The amount of things that haven’t been done is getting smaller by the day so it’s difficult to be first to do something, especially on bikes. For instance the Three Peaks Challenge has been done by lots of people, including on bikes, but never before on unicycles so we’ll be first.

My main reason to unicycle though is because it’s so enjoyable :slight_smile:

hm…its worked wonders for me

It gives me somewhere to sit when i walk

Pleasure and mastery. It’s fun and gives me a sense of achievment.
Feels like flying.

It’s a free-your-mind activity.
In both senses:

• you need to free your mind just to learn to unicycle or to learn another uni skill
  • uniing makes your mind free: you forget all your worries and problems

-Jedrzej

Here is a compilation of my favorites:

-Fun for all ages.
-Can be done inside.
-Helps you get the ladies.
-Economically friendly.
-Improves balance and great cross training for balance related sports.
-Total body workout, better than most sports (esp. the core and legs).
-Easy way to earn a reputation.
-Fun to show off.
-Conserve space (can store in bedroom and take on public transit w/o racks)
-Good conversation starter.
-Most sidewalk riding constraints forget to include unicycling
-Because none of your friends can
-It is scientifically proven doing balance skills make you smarter.
-Never a dull moment
-Endless variety and chanllenge (tricks, trials, muni, touring, etc.)
-Feels like flying.
-Great stress reducer.
-Learning to ride or a new skill is exhilarating.
-The direct drive means that there is no option to change down a gear and take it easy up a hill, and also no option to coast down the other side. This probably helps with smooth pedalling.
-Low maintenance.
-Require less road or trail to have a fun ride.
-Shorter routes are easier to plan for, spend more time riding.
-If your local trails have got boring on the bike, trying them on a unicycle will give them a new lease of life.
-They cost half as much as a bike with an equivalent performance level.
-It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.

Narrowing it down to ten would be hard though. It would probably depend on the interests of the targeted individual.

well, thanks everyone, I made the post earlier today while i had a few minutes at work. check it out. here.

Bad form, man.
It must have just been you, cuz ladies love it.

it is a portable chair. I’ ll be chillin in one of my classes and go over to sit by a friend and bring my uni with me and sit on the tire

Here are some of my reasons. :slight_smile:

• Less maintenance then a bike.
  • Top of the range trials unicycles are somewhat cheaper then top trial bikes.
  • A unicycle can easily fits into the boot of a SMART fortwo. Which is what my cousin has.
  • You can pedal backwards on it. :smiley:
  • There’s all types of unicycles (Coker, Ultimate Wheels, BC a.k.a impossible wheel, giraffe and novelties)
  • If you learn to ride a unicycle, then you can achieve anything else you want to do without being scared/fear which is definitely a good thing.
  • Enjoyed by all who ride it.
  • There’s no law saying you can’t ride your unicycle on a footpath.
  • More tricks can be achieved on a unicycle then a bike.
  • It’s very economical riding a unicycle.
  • When you stack it on a unicycle, chances are you’ll land on your feet.
  • You’re in your own world.
  • Can be ridden anywhere you want (indoors, work, in an elevator, narrow alleyways etc)
  • You get great fitness riding 1.
  • When you learn to ride forward, the door opens to the possibilities of learning more tricks which will never make you bored EVER. :smiley:

Sorry to overdo it but i had more but I decided to stop here. :smiley:

It’s a great way to procrastinate when you have a six page English essay due the next day.

+1
that sounds like me… :smiley:

You might get to meet me.

Sounds EXACTLY like me. Excpet that my essay isnt quite six pages.

It’s 9:30 and i still haven’t started.

Hey, Get on a unicycle, and ride for 5 hours, then the next day tell me if your abs hurt lol.
I like the bear scar thing, ill use that lol.
Gives you that feeling that you can do anything.
The ladies obviously like a guy with good balance, and bear scars, with the stories, duh.
Idk who said eco efficient, because your a lier, i mess up my ecosystem riding on plants and junk all the time lol.
Great excuse to get new shoes (wore em out unicycling)
Takes up time.
Great excuse for being late for school (unless you ride a coker)
Easier to fit through/go places because their half the size of bikes.
You can go faster on one (a coker)
Halloween costume(personally i dont like steriotypes who think clows, with unicycling, they ruin our rep(clowns))
Good excuse not to try out for track lol. :roll_eyes: