Tool kits - what do you take with you?

If you’re going for a ride out, what tools do you usually take with you?

Any particular tools you’ve come across that you think stand out from the rest or nifty items or gagets you’d like to share with us all?

Short rides: Park-tool MT-1

Most rides: Lezyne Micro floor pump, patches, crankbrothers m19, levers, zip ties, tape, large 8mm wrench for cranks. All but the floor pump is in a canvas tool roll I can throw into whatever bag I’m using, so I’ll usually carry a small tool like the MT-1 or some other small allen key set in a more accessible pouch.

Some rides: I’ll throw in a cable lock in case I want to pick something up at a store, bluetooth speaker, spare blinky lights, extra batteries.

Overnights: small med-kit with a blood clotter, bear spray, kevlar spoke repair kit if I’m on a smaller wheel (<36… they just don’t fit the big wheel) I would highly recommend these for Muni riders if you like doing crazy stuff far out in the woods: https://www.amazon.com/FiberFix-Emergency-Spoke-Replacement-Kit/dp/B001GSMQZC

Just depends on what you think you’ll need. I haven’t had too many maintenance issues, but I usually come prepared, and I’ve sacrificed more repair gear to people in need than I have used. Invest in good, lite gear, and you won’t care about the weight of bringing too much. Tools like the Fenix E05 or E01 light, a cheap tiny pocket knife, and zip ties are invaluable as a get-me-out-of-jail-free card, as they are cheap, weigh almost nothing, and are reliable for many different situations.

TL;DR: allen keys, patch kit, pump, and other stuff as needed.

I like to carry a SEARCH FUNCTION with me.

Do you keep that next to the stick up your butt?

That’s exactly where I keep it. Didn’t you use it on the Iron Horse Trail one year?

Nope, didn’t need it I have my own… :wink:

Nice concise reply, greatly appreciated thanks.
Think i’ll get myself one of those MT-1’s as they look handy.

Gee, now why didnt I think of that!
Oh wait, maybe I did and after seeing that same post and noticing it was three years old, perhaps thought it was worth asking again as a lot can change in 3 years.
But hey, thanks for pointing that out with your big stick. :roll_eyes:

I always carry around my Fix-It Sticks, I work at a bike shop, and am constantly tinkering with stuff, so It makes sense to have a tool like that at my disposal.

When I am out riding, I usually just take my Fix-It Sticks, sometimes a tube and pump.

Not to mention if everyone just searched, that would put an end to most of the discussions going on… It’s about people helping people, not just data. Look at the top of the page, it says “community” :slight_smile:

I guess that could depend on what you’re riding and where. I usually take nothing with me other than my mobile phone for dire emergencies, and I leave tools in my car when I’m away from home. I’m usually within walking distance of my car or house when I ride, but most of the trails I ride now have tools and pump stations available, so even that is becoming less of a necessity. If you’re going really far, and/or if you’re an extreme rider, to start with I’d recommend carrying the tools needed to change the tube, an extra tube and/or patches, a pedal wrench, and a tool for tightening your cranks. Pare that down as you learn from experience. Doing a check on your unicycle, as well as routine maintenance before riding can avoid a lot of issues during a ride.

A generic cheap Allen key multi tool, pedal wrench, a Pump. Sometimes Patches/a tube if I have one, spoke wrench.
Nothing spectacular, no fancy lightweight multi tools. I’d say if you have none of the above, get a good multi tool at a bike store, if you already own it, throw it in a bag and make it your tool bag. It will weigh less than a bottle of water, which most people take along anyway.

ahh right, forgot the pedal wrench. I use a simple cone wrench (15mm) instead of a full pedal wrench. They are more flemsy, but they get the job done and weigh a lot less. Most of my wheels have a 6mm interface behind the pedal, so you really don’t need the pedal wrench.

Saturday was the first day I have ventured far enough from the car to take more than my phone and carkeys with me. I took a pump, an Allen key to fit the seat post clamp, a cycle lock and key, my purse and my phone which is always on a lanyard round my neck for easy access. If anything more drastic had needed doing I would have walked back to the car.

the left one is just a light piece of pipe as extension for the allen keys

4 and 5mm allen keys, patch kit, tyre levers, pump. No roadside/trailside repairs needed yet, just adjustments.

I just got a new hydration pack which has more cargo space than my old one. Now I’m trying to resist the temptation to carry more junk.

Eric aus Chemnitz has a Schlumpf!

I thought about which tools I bring. It used to be the same kit every time, because unicycles were more consistent. Patch kit, tools to get a wheel/tire off, multi-allen tool, valve stem tool (Schraeder), and the “$5 crank nut”. That was the spare crank nut I would charge someone $5 for, because they would always fail at the farthest point from the car. I never actually ended up charging anyone. Recently I realized NOBODY is riding square taper cranks that use axle nuts on trails anymore Maybe axle bolts, but few enough of them too!

Nowadays, the tools have to change to fit what I’m riding. The Schlumpf 36" requires the Schlumpf tool (that flat thing in Eric’s kit) and the matching tiny allen wrench for shift buttons, as well as the Torx T8 (I think) for my disc brake. Always the multi-allen tool, and always my Presta/Shraeder mini-pump (which I failed to mention above). But I don’t worry about changing a tire on my 36". Not because the Foss tube can never fail; what can I say, no relation? I’ve had one fail. But because the tools and effort it takes me to get a tire on/off that rim are not to be attempted on the trail, especially without my large and heavy, metal tire spoon.

For the trails, I have a new KH 26", also with disc brake. It’s still so new I haven’t paid much attention to what tools I might need, other than the multi-allen to make seat adjustments…

I’ve heard this a lot, but assumed it was just the old rim/tyre combos that had this problem. I’ve had my 36er tyre off a few times and it’s no more difficult than any other tyre. Mine is a Nightrider tyre on a Stealth 2 rim.

I carry two flat plastic tyre levers like the one pictured (except mine are red, allowing me to get the job done faster). They’re small, light, and work just fine on my 36er. I don’t use them to put the tyre back on - fingers work fine for this.

Do I just have a really loose tyre? I run it at 50 PSI (and used to run it at 60) and have never had a blowout like the stories you used to hear about the Airfoil rims…

a8suK.jpg

I think I need one of those Stealth 2 rims. I have an earlier one; the one with the holes in it. In spite of the holes, I think they weigh more than the Stealth 2. Your tire levers look good, but I don’t think they would work with my Nightrider tire and that rim. You’d need an extension tool for leverage, and they might just bend…

In thinking about tools I used to use, I went all the way back. Back in the day, we had Schwinns and Miyatas. 20" and 24" wheels, and adjustable crescent wrenches. Remember, you needed two of those for the Schwinn, just to raise or lower the seat (or change the tire)! We rounded off a lot of small saddle nuts in those days…

Found sth interesting for bikes. Maybe ideas like this can be transformed to unicycles.

5 MTB Tools that Live in your Bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6J8BTwTpk

I also carry nylon tyre levers That i do not need to use to put the tyre on, not sure if i even need them to take tyre off. Also a nightrider 36 running approx 50psi

I also carry 4/5/8mm Allen keys, foss patches,Zip ties, Small multi spanner i think it came with a new unicycle. A Ten pound note,and a Mini pump.

A handy tip is everything apart from the pump fits in a hard spectacle case

Regards Phil