I’ve been thinking for some time about trying longer cranks on my 700c, ideally 150 mm’s.
However I noticed the 170mm’s on my much underused racing bike and decided to put them on the uni.
The cog thing (spider?) will look a bit strange, but that’s no problem.
Getting the dust covers off was pretty straightforward, then it was time for the crank puller. It’d been some time since I’d used one of these, but I thought I could work out what to do.
Screwed the first bit into the crank and had to use a fair bit of force. Then it’s time for the other bit that screws into the first part and forces the crank off the axle.
This is again hard work, not helped by the fact that I’m having to use an adjustable spanner that’s too long to clear the axle, so each turn I have to loosen it off, put it back on the puller and retighten it.
Temper flares, force is applied and still the crank isn’t budging.
That’s when I see a thin sliver of metal thread protuding from the puller, simultaenously I realize that I’ve forgotten to take off the crank nuts!
I’m very lucky cos the puller isn’t too badly damaged.
Eventually the 170’s are off, I take the 125’s off the 700c and replace them with the 170’s, taking care to grease the axle and hammer them on properly.
Now it’s just a matter of putting the new set up into my Muni frame and look forward to a ride on the new set up.
At this point I realise that the enterprise was doomed from the start because the cog bit on the right crank prevents the wheel from fitting in the frame.
I guess it’s time to order some unicycle cranks!