Toe armor

Since this thread just got referenced, I’ve switched from the La Sportiva to the 5.10 Guide Tennies. http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/48-guide-tennie

These have a better sole for MUni than the La Sportivas (with the same 5.10 rubber and button pattern that so many people like), and they have a similar climbing toe box. I like them enough that I’m probably going to stock up on another couple of pairs before they get discontinued or something.

i broke my toe, riding muni with the five-tens’s. since that i ride only with some real hiking boots…

La Sportiva doesn’t make the Cirque Pro approach shoe any more. The current version is called the Boulder-X and I’m using those for unicycling. I’m still very happy with them.

I’ll check out the 5.10 Guide Tennies next time I have a chance.

Which five-tens were you using? The Impact model is the most popular amongst MUni people, and that one doesn’t have any real toe protection. The Guide Tennies are much better if you’re concerned about toe injuries.

Tom, how are the Guide Tennies for shifting?

They’re reasonable. The heel is fairly straight, so if you like having the sole bump out, it doesn’t do that, but if you like it flat, it’s pretty flat.

Steel toe boot until it heals.

Five Ten shoes won’t protect your toe any better than a skate shoe, same goes for approach shoes, the toe box can all collapse and the soles flex under the toe.

So Tom, got any pics :wink:

There are two Toms on this thread. I assume you mean me. This is an old thread. My broken toe was three years ago. The topic came up again because of this thread.

A steel toed boot is only as good as the fit with your foot. If your foot can move so your toe hits the inside of the toe box, then you’re no better off than you are in a floppy-toed shoe. You need a stiff toe box, a stiff sole, room in front of your toes, and a super tight fit on the rest of your foot.

The kick-the-ground-with-your-toes test is very revealing for what it’s going to feel like. The only shoes I’ve tried that pass are the approach shoes. The toe box is plenty stiff enough.

Oh, I gotcha.

I can’t wear Approach shoes, the toe box tend to far to point for my wide foot. Stiff sole maybe, but the top of the shoe is still soft.

I doubt there is any reasonable way to avoid all injuries, even couch surfing can lead to back problems :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be happy if I can go this whole next year without breaking a finger :frowning:

This thread is great, thanks for linking the other one here, tmoyer.

The uncertainty of whether this might happen to me again even with better shoes didn’t sit well. It’s good to hear other people have experienced the same thing, and (it seems), found that the shoe itself is the problem.

I’m going to have to check out those 5:10s!