Todays Ride

Today I rode almost 90 miles on my Coker. Average speed is a little over 12MPH. I took 1 hour and 23 minutes for breaks so that brought my average speed way down. I am going to attempt a century next week provided I recover. The ride was pretty brutal because I don’t have enough miles under my belt yet. I rode from my house in SLC up to Antelope Island, around the causeway and back home. The causeway was brutally windy because there are no houses or anything to offer protection.

There are a few hills along the causeway, one of which I had problems with. There is one hill steep enough that my 5-inch cranks couldn’t provide enough leverage to make it up. I tried to gather enough speed to climb it with momentum, but my body got ahead of the uni and I wound up taking a spill. Received a few minor scrapes and that is about it. Like we talked about before, there are trade offs in using smaller cranks and a reduction in leverage is one.

Anyway, it was a beautiful cool sunny day with not too much wind other than the causeway. Other than a rash that looks like a unicycle seat on my butt and a few scrapes form the fall, I had a great time

By the way, in using 5-inch cranks my feet seem to wonder around much more so than before the switch. I use stock Coker pedals and tennis shoes. I am thinking maybe I need to change to a skateboard shoes with different pedals. If any of you have any suggestions please let me know.

dan

Just so you dont think I am a monster speedster, the average speed I mentioned was ridding time. It does not reflect the 1 hour and 23 minutes for breaks. Still have a lot of improving to do

dan

How long did it take you to make the whole 90 mile ride (breaks and everything)? Next week mabye you can come down to where I live (its only like fifty miles)

Riding time was 7 hours and 19 min. Total elapsed time was 8 hours 42 min.

Hard to find Unicylists in Utah. I will e_mail you the next time I am plan a trip up your way and maybe we can hook up.

Thanks for letting me know.

BTW, the century ride I ma talking about doing next week is the Cycle Salt Lake Century. Should be fun if I do in fact recover from today

dan

Re: Todays Ride

> Today I rode almost 90 miles on my Coker. Average speed is a little
> over 12MPH. I took 1 hour and 23 minutes for breaks so that brought my
> average speed way down. I am going to attempt a century next week
> provided I recover. The ride was pretty brutal because I don’t have
> enough miles under my belt yet. I rode from my house in SLC up to
> Antelope Island, around the causeway and back home. The causeway was
> brutally windy because there are no houses or anything to offer
> protection.
>
> There are a few hills along the causeway, one of which I had problems
> with. There is one hill steep enough that my 5-inch cranks couldn’t
> provide enough leverage to make it up. I tried to gather enough speed
> to climb it with momentum, but my body got ahead of the uni and I wound
> up taking a spill. Received a few minor scrapes and that is about it.
> Like we talked about before, there are trade offs in using smaller
> cranks and a reduction in leverage is one.

Whoooa, I was impressed with my 62 mile ride in 8 hours including stops
yesterday. That 90 miles is a very long ride even on shorter cranks,
sustained 10.5 mph average for 8+ hours.

I rode from London to Chichester yesterday, which is a lovely ride, but has
a monster bunch of hills (the South Downs) 6 miles from the end which was a
real killer. It was a bit unplanned, I’d been out riding a bit on Friday and
Saturday already and done probably 40 miles or so in total, but then Sunday
morning I was told to go on a long unicycle ride so I was out of the way of
revision, so I looked on my road atlas for somewhere quite a long way away
and pointed my unicycle towards it.

I met a unicyclist somewhere near Petworth who had a go on my coker and said
he just had to get one, gave him one of Roger’s cards, with any luck
there’ll be another southern Cokerhead soon.

Also saw some bike time trial or something, passed hundreds of bikes going
the other way which was fun, they were all really friendly.

Oh and I saw an ostrich which could run at least as fast as I can coker.

Joe

Re: Todays Ride

I’ve been using the 661 Duallys for general riding and MUni. They grip very nicely, especially compared with the running shoes and hiking boots that I used beforehand. The tread is designed to match in size with the standard mountain bike pedals that have pins, such as the Wellgos that they sell at unicycle.com: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=2&subcat=23&cat=Wellgo&L2=Pedals&L3=Wellgo, which are what I have on my Pashley. The shoes grip well in inclement weather, are well made and have an ankle cup.

I bought them directly from the company (http://www.axocycling.com) for about $80 but you may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else.