Todays ride and seat holding

Today I went down to the skate park park again and practiced the two things I’m working on at moment- hopping and riding backwards.

Also did a bit of juggling and poi.

Then went over to the skate park to watch and drink some water. The BMX and skateboard stuff is amazing, so much more based on speed and momentum, a totally different set of skills to unicycling but requiring the same discipline and perserverence.

Some of the younger guys there always show a bit of interest in the Muni and there have been times when I’ve ridden by and heard mutterings of ‘look at his tyre’ -(it’s a 24x3).

It’s a shame I can’t ride anything in there; I went down a couple of months back when there was no one around and worked on the easiest looking bit, but it was too steep to climb.

I’ve had more luck with the dirt trail type of BMX humped track parks, with practice I can get over most of them; this place is the concrete ramp type though.

After watching a while I rode to the grass embankments on the edge of the park and practiced riding up them. I’ve improved a lot a these and now that I’ve been working on holding the seat I’m finding that I can go straight up ones that previously I’d have to go up on a diagonal.

It was nice to finish on one that I considered impossible. I ploughed into it as fast as I could, grabbed the seat and munched up it with considerable force on the cranks.

Seatholding has really extended what I can do, I can now face rutted terrain with the expectation of staying on and the fear of being bounced off the pedals on steep downhills is gone.

I find it of limited use on steep uphills that I can do reasonably well, but on rough really steep stuff it helps massivly.

I’m seriously considering getting a Reeder handle for my Muni as several posts have said that it gives more leverage.

It will also take me one step closer to the visual ideal I have for my Muni i.e. that it should look as much like a tank as possible.

Re: Todays ride and seat holding

You can go up said hills at an incredible rate due to the handle though.

Sofa
Sofa Lofa Doffadeedoo

Re: Todays ride and seat holding

quote:

Originally posted by onewheeldave

I find it of limited use on steep uphills that I can do reasonably well, but on rough really steep stuff it helps massivly.

You can go up said hills at an incredible rate due to the handle though.

Is the rate so incredible that it would have helped turn around events in my recent ill fated up hill challenge against 3 bicyclists?