Tire.... Failure? 😕

My 2 unicycle tires where flat when I free mount them. I could squeeze the tires with my hands. They were squishy.

I got an airpump filled them up. You can’t squeeze them with your hands anymore, but when I mount them they flatten out, even though they have air in the tires now. How do I fix that? Why is it doing that? :confused: Do the tires have to be replaced?

Find a gauge to measure the pressure. Look at the side of the tire to see the pressure range recommended.

Also, your weight will of course be a variable.

2 Likes

On the small one the pressure reads the correct PSI. It still goes flat, but not as flat as the other one. On the large unicycle my 2 gages can’t take a reading, but it looks really flat when you sit on it.

How are you determining they flatten out? Looking down, or is a friend watching?

You are not hearing the rim hit the ground are you?

When I look down. The tire is spreading out the sides. It’s really flat looking.

Hard to tell. Thats probably not the best way to judge this.

How long have you been riding? Is riding affected?

Well, I can’t exactly call it riding. I have got forward 2 rotations. Without touching anything. So, I can’t say riding is, or is not affected.

It may just need more air for your size. If a tire has too low air it may seem hard by hand but your riding puts much more pressure. If you can get a floor pump with a gauge ( usually sorts cheap) it can help you measure if more is needed. See the maximum pressure on the side of the tire and fill about 50%-75% of that number. Play around with it to find the pressure you like.

Unless we’re talking about offroad tyres why not start at 100%? That doesn’t do any harm to the tyre and we can immediately exclude that there is a mismatch between rider weight and pressure. Going down from that pressure is easy then and can be done without having to carry any tools later on.

1 Like

They mention still being early in the learning process so building in squish for stability. Either way works really, this is just my suggestion.

1 Like

Quite a lot of smaller tyres seem to be rated for 35PSI which simply isn’t enough for heavier riders.

I find that on my unicycle club collection I basically have to ignore the max pressure and go to 45PSI to ensure that they’re inflated sufficiently for anyone to ride them.

Some tyres are simply not designed for riding at higher pressures on smooth surfaces though and therefore will feel quite flat and ride unusually when doing so - they’ll probably feel just fine outside on slightly rougher terrain.

1 Like

how many psi / bar tire pressure are you talking about? How much do you weigh ?

1 Like

What a strange experience. Everything was failing, and not working yesterday. My air pump, my tires, my tire pressure gages. Suddenly, everything started working today like normal. :confused: Tires are filled with air now. P.S.I is at the optimum range on both tires.

Also, @anon727874 you were right about not judging tire conditions from being seated on the unicycle. So, I found a way to take a picture of it on the ground, while I am seated on the unicycle. The photo shows everything is fine, even though it looks flat from the seated position.

3 Likes

Is your tire being ran tubeless or tubed? If it’s being ran tubeless, tire burping may be to blame.

I actually don’t know. Both tires were Innova tires if that says anything. How would I find out which it was?

Deflate your tire and take it off of the rim. If there’s a rubber tube under the tire, it’s a tubed setup. If it’s only the tire on the rim, then it’s tubeless. If you do find that it is tubeless, I’d recommend buying a foss tube the size of your rim/wheel from unicycle.com or your local bike store, and using that. They’re pretty cheap. If you use a tube for your tire, the tube will be inflated, and your tire will rest on the tube on your rim. If you’re running it tubeless, all that’s holding your air is your tire itself. If the gap between your tire’s bead and the rim is too loose, it will “burp” air out of it, leading to a flat tire even if there’s no puncture to the tire. It would probably do this when you apply pressure to it, such as mounting the unicycle.

1 Like