Tips for Commuting

For an equivalent wheel size or feel, would you go up a wheel size? The one pictured is 27.5 x 2.4, which is, personally, the perfect do-all size. I know many here prefer a 32 or 36 for commutes, but I like a slightly smaller one for maneuverability. I’d like to keep the pictured 27.5 for muni-ing on weekends. But I do have a 29er I’m thinking of converting to a slick tire uni, perhaps 29 x 2.2ish?

Sounds ideal to me. Even with a slick tyre you might be surprised at how capable it is - it should handle everything short of slippery mud and full-on muni.

One thing to consider, the smallest wheel most would consider for commuting, the 24 inch, is only 1/3 smaller than the largest, the 36 inch. So if you could ride 9 mph on a 36er, then you could ride 6 mph on a 24er. Bottom line is we’re not talking an enormous difference in speed even when we’re talking about what seems like an enormous difference in wheel size.

29 x 2.2 Sounds perfect for this use. I’d use it.

I second that :point_up_2:

The continental - double fighter 2.0 has served me well.

1 Like

Good to know. Nice to see another bottle-cage equipped unicycle pop up here.

Perhaps a little left-field and not specifically unicycle related , but as a general commuting consideration, no matter which modes of transport your employ (other than perhaps your car) , consider carrying a USB power bank and appropriate charging cable so you can power your phone if it goes flat – especially if you use public transport and have any form of e-ticket.(!)… Something cheap has served me well as long as it is charged :slight_smile:

Based off your photo, and my general understanding of some sketchy asphalt stretches/ short bike path stretches between lights I am going to assume your location near the Western Ave Bridge, River Street Bridge, potentially the stretch that runs to the Trader Joe’s and the BU bridge with all the Geese that the transient population feed, and maybe that little stretch near the boathouse. Those stretches are either annoyingly broken up, the road is terribly potholed, and or feature up hill mounting with narrow lanes and frequent traffic. Again just guessing on your exact location.

That being said, the reason why I am guessing specifics would be because I believe you could cut across Memorial Drive near the Harvard stretch of the bike and take some of the bike paths in the suburbs of Cambridge. Those roads are better and have dedicated lanes for riders (and potentially a lot of parked cars to stabilize mounting or light stops). From memory, these streets aren’t terribly trafficked either (and there are at least 2 bakeries you can get a donut at). If it’s not too out of the way from where you are commuting to, it could be worth a trial run. Cambridge as a city is super bike friendly but that area is also extensions of Harvard and MIT and is (imo) set up well to facilitate pedal commuters both for the person riding and cars on the road that (should) have come to expect students and professionals and yuppies on their wheels

Gross!
That seems so disrespectful to me.

1 Like

I’ll agree to disagree. Placing my hand on the roof of another’s car for 5 seconds is about as disrespectful as ad hom calling someone out for doing so.

That’s allowed. (I had to look up “ad hom” as I’m not up on the current speak))

I was just pointing out a habit that I think should not be passed on to other unicyclists.
Maybe it’s an old school thing but putting your hands on other people’s property is just something I don’t do.
This is a board for sharing information and that’s what I do.
I pass on information that I think will be helpful to people.

What you do is your choice as I have mine.

2 Likes

If I needed assistance, no poles etc around, I’d choose to use a parked truck or a vehicle like a worker’s ute if one was needed over someone’s normal car on the street. I figure people would be less precious over it.

I commute the entire East-West length of Cambridge, MA, so there’s several ways to go about it. This time I took the longer route along Charles River bike path, like you said, just to avoid car traffic altogether. Going thru the suburbs of Cambridge might be worth a try, I’m just not too good at split-seocnd freemounting in stop start traffic. I.e., I need a few seconds to get ready to mount. So I’ll consider bike lanes (those next to car traffic) when i get better at mounting.

Same here… I wouldn’t want anyone touching my car either.

1 Like