Tips and Tricks to help with MUnicycling

I am a keen municyclist, and without being cocky i am pretty good, and i would like to know some tricks that would make riding over really tough terrain easier.
cheers:)

Kind of hard to be helpful if we don’t know what kind of help you need. Please describe the trails you ride, and the types of things you have problems with.

Practice… And remember, if yer not falling, the terrain is too easy :wink:

I am fairly new to muni, but I’ve been riding about 1 hour, 5-6days per week. The trails that I ride are a mix of downhill and pretty steep uphill stuff, so it is good endurance training. I used to be a runner, and considered myself pretty fit-but I was quickly humbled after my first muni ride! Downhill, no matter how technical, is easy compared to riding up 30+ degree hills over and over! (well, “easy” it’s not) Taking the advice of more experienced muni-ers, I reduced my tire pressure in my 2.6 (soon to be a duro 3.0) from about 32 lbs., down to about 18 lbs, and WOW! What a difference in rolling over obstacles and hopping! Also seemed to reduce saddle soreness. Makes sense, no? NExt thing on my agenda: Brakes! But which kind??? Should I get Hydraulic? :thinking:

okay, so in australian measurments, which is Psi, how much pressure would 18 lbs be?

If you get really good and comfortable with rolling hops you can use small rolling hops to significantly smooth out the trail. For example you can use a slight rolling hop to take the edge off of a root or similar bump in the trail. You don’t have to jump high enough and far enough to clear the root, just enough that you lighten the load so you sort of flow over it or just enough that you land on top of it (or skim it) while still moving forward and still rolling.

Kris demonstrated that technique when I asked him how he rides so fast and smoothly. I ride the trail like a tractor while Kris speeds along floating above it all.

I do need to work on my rolling hops so I can improve my muni riding. You need to get so that you can do a slight rolling hop with either foot and even when not in the ideal pedal position. I need to put in some practice time on that, but I’m very bad at actually practicing anything. I’d rather be riding.

Silverfridge… I think PSI stands for ‘Pound per Square Inch’. So 18 lbs (pounds) would be 18 PSI.

But I could be wrong. The simpler a question is, the easier I seem to completely misunderstand it.

yes 18lbs is 18psi.

I like to have my seat low but not ridiculously low for MUni, especially tricky sections.

Just keep your feet on your pedals and go for it, too many people bail before they even lose their balance coz of the little voice in their heads saying its too steep, too fast or too rough. Just hang on and aggressively follow that line you’ve picked. Eventually you’ll develop a knack for weaving down technical sections in such a way that your pedals will be in a “power position” when they need to be (launching and landing big jumps).

Speed is your friend, aim to go at least as quick as you would on a bike. Pulling on your seat handle can increase the control you have and help you push your feet onto your pedals. Avoid all unnecessary arm movements.

Still 18. 18 lbs psi is always 18 lbs psi. If pounds is the pressure number, the corresponding measurement is square inches.

Which may not be what’s used in Australia, but you’ll have to figure that out on your end. Once you do, the Web is rife with sites that will convert things to and from metric measurements.

But beware of specific pressure numbers. The key concept is the lower pressure. The exact amount will depend on your tire fatness, your weight, and the actual trail. You can lower pressure, but if your rim keeps touching the ground you’ll know it’s too low.

On the other hand, if your terrain is not very rough, higher pressure will generally be better. Unless it’s muddy or otherwise slippery perhaps. But you haven’t shared any of that with us.

:slight_smile: