time

how old are you?.. i’ve progressed a decent amount recenlty… been able to go a few feet without support… and because my firneds and parents think im krazy for trying to learn to ride this thing… im on my own… so right now… my best friend is a wall… HAHA (if you get wut i mean)

<<how old are you?..>>

59 years old (it seems old to you now, but it won’t when you’re 58)

<<i’ve progressed a decent amount recenlty… been able to go a few feet without support…>>

I remember marking my forward progress by putting a piece of duct tape on the pavement. It was exciting to move it a few feet forward but frustrating when I couldn’t match it again for a few days.

<<and because my firneds and parents think im krazy for trying to learn to ride this thing… im on my own… >>

Yeah, just try to imagine what it was like for a geezer like me launching from my mail box time after time, day after day and falling after only a few feet with the neighbors watching the “old fool.” After a few weeks the wounds will be healed, the frustration will be forgotten, and you’ll be unique - someone who can ride a unicycle!! How many of your friends and relatives can say that?

torkerboi, When I learned it took ~10 hours, but this wasn’t all in one go - It was 2 or 3 twenty minute sessions a day for the best part of a month. I found it so tiring on my legs initially that I couldn’t have kept at it for more than 20 minutes.

Oh and let me wish you good luck - although luck hasn’t a whole lot to do with it, I reckon that anyone who has fallen from a unicycle 500 times is a unicyclist, so just get out there, and fall off it a few hundred times, and pretty soon you’ll be falling off less frequently. We’re all a teeny bit jealous, because one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences you will ever have with a unicycle is learning to ride the thing in the first place. So take your time and enjoy yourself.

thnx a lot… my inner thighs have been in a lot of pain lately… not when walking ro sitting but everytim i get ont he uni… jeebus… haha… wells thnx for the support… and for those out there still trying ro riding… hope your riding has improved or is getting better…

TO randonneur :
I must say i am quite amazed of your perseverance, and i hope that your riding improves greatly and that you may have many hours, days, years of joy riding on taht one wheeled “thingamabobber” hehe

TO joseph:
Thanks for the “luck” haha… well i haven’t fallen 500 times YET… i would count… ohhh…~~ 68?? hehe… well thnks for th encouragement

Re: time

I don’t know yet, I still fall occasionally. :smiley:

Sorry, I wanted to be the first nerd to point that out.

My own learning experience is a bad example, so I won’t even go into it. Don’t worry so much about how long it took someone else to learn. You either want to ride or you don’t, and you just keep at it until you get better. It’ll be well worth it. 17 is about the perfect age to learn to ride. You’ll get it.

For inspiration, buy a video or download some clips. There’s everything out there from basic riding to amazing sick stunts. Watch basic riding to help you know how to move. Then, spend less time here at the forums and more time out there working on it, and it’ll pay off.

Also make sure your seat is high enough and your tire has enough air. Search the forums if you don’t know where either of those should be.

wow thnx for the info i’ll probably buy a vid or two… thnx!