Time to get to distance

My tip getting weight in the saddle is to think of it as “lifting the knee” on the up-stroke.

Although I now sit pretty much upright I definitely do not sit as Slamdance suggested: “Lean your upper body/shoulder back”.

Perhaps the pro freestyle riders do this but otherwise a slight forward lean (not hunch) is preferred.

Yeah I also look at the ground in front of the uni at around that distance. You need to see what bumps to anticipate. Though occasionally I wonder how much my wheel wobbles and I look down straight at the wheel, but then I get confused and lose my balance.

Yes, I’d say Bungeejoe’s legs are made of steel. He is one of only two unicycle riders that I know of that have completed over 200 miles (I322 Km) in one 24 hour period.

On longer stretches between stops I stand up on pedals, but for only only a few seconds and that seems to do the trick.

I have to laugh at the legs of steel comments. I’ve broke both legs in two different 36” UPDs.

I was the fifth one I know of to do 200 or more miles in a 24 hour period. Since then I’ve heard rumors of a couple more.

Back to back centuries are maybe worse. It’s hard for me to convince myself to get out of bed on day two and ride 9 or 10 more hours in the saddle again. But I’ve done it and worked a shift on one or both days while training.

JM

3 Likes

Saturday when riding my Hatchet, I wanted to give it a try to stand up off the seat for 30-45 seconds. The first few tries I could barely hold 10 seconds, but nearing the end of the trip, I guess I had warmed up enough and was more stubborn, so held out the 45 seconds (counts). Right after it is very nice to be allowed to sit again.

Then two questions come to mind. How long do you need to stand up to give your butt a rest? And what impact does riding with no weight on the saddle have on the maximum distance ability of the rider?

For the first question, about 10 seconds seems to be long enough for me to get he blood flowing and a new lease on life.

The second question, assuming that a rider can exert a certain amount of effort before their legs/body is “used up”, it follows that keeping the time with all the weight on the pedals to an absolute minimum would be best. Taking this to the extreme, assume that a rider can do 100 miles before being fully spent when riding with full weight in the saddle and that same rider could ride maybe ride 5 or 10 miles before “using up” their legs with no weight on the saddle. If you ride with no weight on the saddle for 45 seconds every five minutes it seems like that extra effort would have an impact on the maximum distance.

Another question would be “why do you stand?”

I stand for power and stability when I ride.

For my cross country riding the standing is a much higher percentage.
Downhill section - standing percentage 10%?
Level section - standing 5%?
Uphill section - standing 50-75%?

Even in town when I ride I’m up and down in the saddle so saddle soreness isn’t an issue with me.
But then I haven’t tried anything long distance on pavement yet either.

True enough, when offroading, especially when it is very bumpy, I tend to put more weight on the pedals, but it isn’t quite the same as standing. I think it is half sitting, half standing. Maybe when going downhill, the braking with my legs, instead of a brake, lifts me more up from the seat. I get saddle soreness roughly after 10km, which is mostly when sitting and difference in saddle also has an impact.
Standing up every 5 minutes I think is overkill. If I could do every 15 mins it should be enough.

Time to get distance…yes, that is what I’m after. I reached 18mph in my quest for speed, which I’ve decided is enough for me for the time being. 20mph can wait a little longer. I’ve got a different way to kill my body now :). This summer is going to be my last before I go to college, so I want to do something special. Ed Pratt and his youtube vids have been an inspiration lately, so I’m considering just starting out my front door after graduation and seeing how far I can make it before the fall semester starts, unipacking as I go. I’d like to be able to comfortably ride a good 50 miles–and wake up ready to do it again the next day, by the end of May. I’ve been increasing my distance lately. I was at 14 miles last week. Yesterday I went for 22 miles in 2.5 hours and it almost killed me. I was wobbling all over the road on the way back! I’d prefer not to quite do that to myself again…does anyone know if I could get to 50 miles in that time, and what a reasonable mileage increase per week would be?

Paul

I think for consistent long distance riding you have to pace yourself. For training the 22 miles in 2.5 hours is good but for long distance day after day, take it easy and take frequent breaks. Last year I put in a 70 mile very relaxed day (12 hours) but on a single training run I’d only did about 15 miles in a single run.

Yes, it sounds doable. I would not find it a problem. Many sports and cycling coaches recommend weekly increase of 15% or less as a guide. 50 miles daily is a good goal. I’ve tried 80 dairy with the 7th or 8th day a rest day hard to sustain. 60 miles daily was more enjoyable. You are a lot younger, so I’m sure 50 miles daily maybe attainable. I have managed 1000+ miles in two and a half weeks with a support vehicle unicycling the coastal route from Canada to California. Self-support is increasingly difficult as you try to carry more and spend less.

One wise experienced touring cyclist shared the recommendation of only plastic. YES, one credit card and what you need to ride today. I’ve found his method of touring most satisfying.

Many, if not most, younger touring cyclists find a need for many more material possessions than just a kit, a couple bottles, and a credit card.

if you run into problems I try to be available. Last time I tried the PM feature was not yet working. Just put a shorty note or phone number in the subject and only one character in the message and it worked for me.

Enjoy,
JM

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention that the 2.5 hrs was with some breaks; I think I had 4 or 5 breathers in there. Breaks do help, but I think 9-10 mph is about optimal on a 36" with my 100mm cranks that I have on right now (they are the 100/125/150mm).

15% increase sounds like a doable number, and it would get me to the requisite 50 miles by the end of May. I dropped down to an 18 mile ride this week over 1:45 with breaks when I tired out, and that was very easy to do. Weight will be a little difficult for me. I think I’ll be able to make a frame to put bags on, and then look at getting the bags from Cary Grey (if he still sells them). I live in Michigan and would probably head towards Banff National Park, then see how far north I could make it after that. End result would hopefully the Dempster Highway through the Arctic…but I doubt I could make it there over the Summer. All pending on the fact that the border will be open at that point… I agree, going light is the only option. I’ve been doing some looking at ultralight backpacking for it. However, there are stretches where I would probably have to make it for a week without resupply. A credit card might not taste too good at that point :-). But point well taken, only one pair of socks. I’m used to roughing it anyway.
Side note: PM sent in specific manner, it should get through.
Paul