The world whould be a better place if every one unicycled!

hi

i have to do an english speach on this topic and was wondering if anyone had any advice or ideas. it whould be much apriciated. Ithink there was a thered about this before but i can’t find. thanks.

Luke.

<Devil’s Advocaat Mode (Mmm, fruity)>

Or would it?

One of the great things about unicycling is the novelty… loads of people talk to you, improving everyone’s interpersonal skills and bringing everyone together, meeting new people and the like. But would this still apply if everyone unicycled? Would we all have to go around saying “you’ve lost a wheel!” to everyone we passed?

Otherwise… it’s something to keep our bodies and brains ticking over, and hobbies and pastimes are always good, especially one as challenging as unicycling.

Phil, just me

Re: The world whould be a better place if every one unicycled!

I spent years unicycling all around the Wollongong University campus, and
the best quote I ever got was:

“man, you sure put the UNITY in the university COMMUNITY”

sums it up well I think…

All of us would probably ride around on those Jack Halpern half-wheel unicycles.

Hey, man, where’s the other half of your wheel?

if unicycling teaches u one thing, it’s persistence
when u started out, u had no chance of staying up on the machine and yet, something made u hang in there untill eventually it came together
this process repeats itself with monotonous regularity every time u want to learn a new skill
if everybody could see this in action in their own lives and apply it to any pursuit, be it professional, personal, academic or recreational, the world would be full of people who have tasted the sweetness of achievement on a regular basis
and yes, that would make the world a better place

with or without the other wheel

No, we’d buy shooting sticks and hop around on them, after redefining them as nilocycles, or perhaps nonocycles.

Right On!

Lowell

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: The world whould be a better place if every one unicycled!

>
> if unicycling teaches u one thing, it’s persistence
> when u started out, u had no chance of staying up on the machine and
> yet, something made u hang in there untill eventually it came together
> this process repeats itself with monotonous regularity every time u want
> to learn a new skill
> if everybody could see this in action in their own lives and apply it to
> any pursuit, be it professional, personal, academic or recreational, the
> world would be full of people who have tasted the sweetness of
> achievement on a regular basis
> and yes, that would make the world a better place
>
> with or without the other wheel
>
>
> –
> GILD
>
> How can there be self-help GROUPS?
>
> Namaste!
> Dave
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> GILD’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19811
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________
> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>

A while back I was talking to a friend who was involved in a plastic
component design for a military weapon. For the rest of that day I was
jealous that I couldn’t be involved in something like that.

Then I remembered how Nobel created the Nobel Peace Prize out of sorrow for
all of the damage that his TNT caused in war.

Consolation for me came in knowing that the sport that I’m involved in has
no real military value.

Doug

“hooney_uni” <hooney_uni.9d1ca@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:hooney_uni.9d1ca@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> hi
>
> i have to do an english speach on this topic and was wondering if anyone
> had any advice or ideas. it whould be much apriciated. Ithink there was
> a thered about this before but i can’t find. thanks.
>
> Luke.
>
>
> –
> hooney_uni
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> hooney_uni’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/994
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19811
>

Re: Re: The world whould be a better place if every one unicycled!

Yep, I agree with that. I can’t picture any kind of stealth attack by unicycle troops, especially if they’re equipped with Profile hubs;)

Have fun!

Graeme

Re: Re: Re: The world whould be a better place if every one unicycled!

Unless it’s some cunning ploy to hide your numbers, if they’re counting bike tracks with two wheels each rather than unicycle tracks. Hmmmm…

Phil, just me

It can be affective to find some reason to work in phrases like ‘bloody hell’, or ‘tea time, tea time- darjeeling anyone?’. Accessories like a cain might be considered, and can be used to great success when combined with a fopish tie or ascot. Oh, and don’t forget to mention your love for the Queen.

-Christopher

Back in the 1800’s, they were looking into the use of unicycles for military purposes. The generals even commissioned Julian Fucik to compose a march for us to use while on manuevers, while we drilling or being oiled-up by slaves, even for just casual times like hanging out in the bulimatorium… you know, to keep us in the right frame of mind for the kind of mayhem and, yes, sheer terror we were to wreak from atop our mono-chariots. Then, wouldn’t you know it! On the day we were to stage our first demonstration for the big brass, the politicians, and the press… the field we had planned to use was half taken-over by a circus who had set up their tent in the middle of the night! We went on as scheduled anyway, and it certainly would have been a stunning and fearsome display of what a one-wheeled light-armor unit is capable of, but our military band drowned-out the circus’ calliope, and so, from that day forth, “The Entry of the Gladiators” Be afraid! Be very very afraid! , and the unicycle, were forever lost to the Art of War. (sob!)

Now, if you’re worried that unicycling is becoming too popular to satisfy your jaded lust to be above the crowd, and if you’d like to try something that very likely has military applications, take a look at PowerSkip and click on the yellow video links. The “.swf” links are for FLASH.

Do you guys do parties?

Do you guys have a bulimatorium?
:astonished:
*~

Mr. Rhysling:

Kindly pardon me. I should have used the more conventional term vomitorium instead of bulimatorium.

Of course we do parties! We have excellent manners, however, so we do prefer a designated place to spew…

How long do your parties usually last before the authorities are called, and what type of armor do the authorities in your district wear?

Veni, vidi, vomiti!

Luckily, there are some circles where the proud tradition of unicycle military is alive and proud.

From my UNICON photo gallery: