the wheel i want does'nt exist

this is my rant

i so wish that a 22 inch rim and a Monty tyre to fit existed.for urban trails this would be the perfect size for trials/freestyle.

the smallest Profile cranks (145mm) would no longer be too long and the speed gain would help with momentum based gaps.

as punchy and accurate as a 19"with a Monty trials tyre is,i think its a bit to small;but a 24 with a 3.0 is too big/bulky…there is a space in the middle there that i belive would be perfect.

any thoughts?

Is there a moped or scooter or similar tire available in that size? That would be your best bet for finding such a tire. The problem is in finding the tire and being able to order it. Then there would be the issue of finding a proper rim.

I’m with Jagur if only because I haven’t bought a new uni in ages :wink:

Seriously though… I too find a 24x3 more cumbersome than I’d like for trials and a Monty far to slow for getting around.

As you may or may not know I’ve been playing with motorbike tyres and there is a “perfect” tyre - but it’s heavier than the 24x3 bike tyre - this is because they have to be a lot more durable.

My 4 inch plus tyred uni weighs a ton

according to profiles litrature they can make cranks in custom sizes,
like 125mm for those who think that 145mm is too long,
imho 145mm is great for trials. and i’ve even used 150mm cranks when i had a cotterless hub. it was almost a disapointment to move back 5mm. when i got the profiles.

My friend was using 158mm cranks on his trials uni. he liked them, but they produced so much torque that the cranks wouldn’t stay on the cotterless hub, they kept coming loose, no matter what he did, so he finally bought 140mm, and then profiles. I agree that for Street trials, with rolling hops and riding around town, a 22 inch tire would be ideal, but if you’re in a fixed area, and you’re mainly doing seat-out-front stuff, then i think i would prefer the current 20 inch (or 19 inch) whatever you want to call the montys.

-Ryan

A 22 inch rim and tyre does exist. Josue Bareto uses a 22 incher on his freestyle uni. However, the tyre selection for this rim size would be very limited. I think the tyre Josue has is one made by Miyata.:smiley:

Tony Melton
NZUNI

Moped tires might be the answer then.

I’m not sure the truth of this statement but its what I was told by a former Monty distributer. Apperently the Monty tire that we know and love started its life as a Moped tire and Monty bought the company (going out of business) that made them because so many trials riders were using them and thats how they got into the tire business.

I know they make smaller tires for mopeds, there are 16x2.5, and 17x2.5 avalable for mopeds. And there might even be a 21x?? tire out there for them as well. Now if these 21" tires are anything like the 19" monty tires then you might be in luck with your 22" tire. Then all you would need is a rim to put it on.

these guys seem to make trials tires (for motorcycles) in all different sizes, but it some of them look like they could be used on a uni. They have both a 21"x2.5" and a 21"x2.75" trials tire In the Mountain cross bike section I also see a 22"x2.125" tires (SR157 model), I dont think these are going to have the volume you want. But it doesnt look like its too bad…

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/product/em_trials.htm

I think the 150’s are as short as Profile can make them because their machines or tools cannot go any smaller.

thanx folks,alot of idea’s shared here.in responce to evilewan,Profiles crank making machine wont go any smaller without damaging their equipment so 145mm is as small as it goes.i once pushed an e-mail to uni.com about paying big bucks for some custom 135mm cranks and he asured me that “it aint gonna happen”:frowning:

thanx for the Moped ideas but i dont know how easy that would be.just finding a moped around is hard to do.they kind of go against the SUV driven american way.anyone riding a moped in the US may have just as hard a time finding replacment tyres or rims as somone looking for a Dyno flamer tyre…by the way before it comes up i would like to say that even if a trails tire was available for the 24 inch,i still think that the overall diameter is to big.If the Dyno Flamer comes out again that wont solve my problem…

if Monty only made a Trials 2.5 tyre for the regular 20 inch rim,that would be a little bit bigger diameter without hunting for a rim.

Re: the wheel i want does’nt exist

Hi!

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:11:33 -0600, Checkernuts
<Checkernuts.efyzp@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>
>Moped tires might be the answer then.
>
>I know they make smaller tires for mopeds, there are 16x2.5, and 17x2.5
>avalable for mopeds. And there might even be a 21x?? tire out there for
>them as well. Now if these 21" tires are anything like the 19" monty
>tires then you might be in luck with your 22" tire. Then all you would
>need is a rim to put it on.

The numbers on the moped tires seem to measure an other diameter than
for bicycle tires. Yesterday I have put a 16-2.25 moped tire on a
normal 20" rim for a trial unicycle. So a 22" moped tire (measured the
same way) wouldn´t fit a 22" unicycle rim. Perhaps there is a 18-2.5
which fits a 22"???

Frank

I’ve just confirmed by telephone with Profile directly that their tooling only allows them to go down to 145mm. Bummer.