The unispin tutorial to end all unispin questions

I just learnt to unispin about a month back after almost a full month of regular practise (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQlEYmwT6I) and having not read this thread before, I daresay that I might have learnt the trick somewhat faster if I had.

My progression was very similar except that I had to find out those same steps through trial and error. I haven’t guts of steel like some of you guys here so I didn’t have the courage to plunge straight on and Just Do It ™. I tried to but went nowhere for a week or two until someone suggested I learn the 180 jump mount. I still can’t do that really well now but it helped in giving me some semblance of courage to attempt to land a unispin.

Spencer had suggested to me to land my feet on the cranks because the surface area’s larger. That was pretty good advice too I feel because that somehow made me more self-assured that I wasn’t going to miss if I aim to land more inwards than I would have. However, til now, I’ve yet to actually manage to land on the cranks (I’d land on the pedals regardless of where I intend to land).

Spinning the uni isn’t hard. It helps a lot to watch yourself on tape. I do that regularly to see where I’ve gone wrong and I noticed that I don’t really need to be jumping that high to clear the tire and that the spin doesn’t even need to be that fast. For 180 unispins, the spinning motion is more of a ‘switch’, somewhat like what you’d do to a steering wheel of the car.

Anyway, despite the long post, what I really want to say is, great work maximus_unius. And hey, we have similar nicks!

ok could someone at least post a vid of a 360 unispin? if you are able to show it in slow motion that would be great, I want to land this so much so please can you help

cheers that has really helped me. i can nearly do it now its just getting the confidence to jump high enough.

James

This was really helpful. Anyone that thinks its “too specific” should write documentation more often as you have to be as specific as possible to write good instruction

1. remove pastries from plastic pouch
  2. toast pop-tart

:stuck_out_tongue:

this needs to be stickied…

That’s funny… I can easily 180 unispin, 180 jump mount and 360 jump mount fine, but I can’t 360 unispin yet.

I thought I had said this before but I cant see that I have, I have made a unispin video tutorial to help you learn both 180 and 360 unispins. After no one could post a video showing me what I needed to do I have made a tutorial to help those who are learning. hope it helps you, feedback would be great.

You did make a thread for that…

“Once you have 180s down it shouldn’t take long to learn 360s as it’s very similar.”
I’ve practised 360s many months now and I still can’t do more than 360 unispin jump mount. So yes, it takes long to learn 360s. I learned 180s in couple week, I think.

It took me about half a year to learn 180 unispin and I’ve been practicing 360 for about a month now. On and off… I’m getting really close. I can do a 270 no problem. Both rolling and static.

i guess it depends on how your hands are positioned when you’re learning 180s. I’m not getting 360s either.

can you do 180s consistantly? I found 360s easy to learn compared to 180s because I was used to jumping off, spining the uni and landing from doing 180s. I felt spinning the uni 360 instead of 180 didnt make it much harder. I guess thats just me though. good luck, hope you get it soon.

I never found going from 180 to 360 too hard either. I dont even need to jump higher or kick my feet out higher, just flick my wrist a little more and the uni spins the 360 in a fraction of a second, then I land back on.

I think the biggest thing to do, is dont be afraid to be jumping over your uni, with the uni spinning underneath you. Be confident your gonna land it, dont think “Im gonna smash my nuts, im gonna mess up, wont land right” That will jsut kill your motivation.

Mount, get ready, go for it, dont spend too much time hopping or your legs tire out and you wreck.

jack nickleson yelled at me…
:smiley:

Thanks for the great tutorial.

I always find that breaking down a trick\process into smaller steps makes it much easier to do, especially when that trick requires some confidence. Walking and turning on a slackline can be learned very quickly using this process (less than a day).

cool thanx i can uni spin for shit

bump for great justice

Hey!
Where are you people looking when doing 180 unispins? I really don’t know where to point my view…

:smiley: Here’s something that might you my good friend. :smiley:

Also i welcome you to the forums with open arms and mighty big hugs.

If you require assistance/help. Don’t hesitate/feel free to ask me as i will always be here to help you with your unicycling problems to the best of my knowledge. By the way you can call me Harry if you want. But again, welcome to the forums.

So have fun, enjoy, relax and welcome to the wonderful world of unicycling. If you want to know what i’m like. Read my 1st signature line. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your new friend. :smiley:
Harry a.k.a HAZMAT

How long did it take you guys to learn 180s?
and i’ve seen in one tutorial, the kid lands on the cranks?
is this how your meant to land?