The ultimate freestyle unicycle...

Okay, I’ve recently been thinking about the freestyle unicycle that I’m going to make some time next year. The good thing about freestyle unis is if you’re prepared to make your own frame they don’t have to cost much even for a really nice one. I’m going to have heaps of question over the next few weeks and this is where they’re go. So here goes…

If discussed this one a bit with Simon Wells but I’d like a few opinions…

For freestyle riding in general, do you want a heavy of light wheel?

I guess I’m particularly interested in the preferred weight for coasting and standup skills. From what I gather it’s good that a heavier wheel is more stable and has more momentum.

What is the preferred crown width for freestyle?

Another question branching from this is where do you like to place your foot for coasting, gliding, and standup skills? It seems to me that the only reason to have a crown as small as the ones on the high end freestyle unis is so that it doesn’t get in the way for things like seat on side riding…but what else would it get in the way for? What’s the overall crown width for the Wyganowski and Miyata frames? Is it best to have a crown that’s completely flat or one that’s rounded but at 90 degrees to the legs?

When riding, should you have the seat up high for all skills?

I think I’ll make my frame like the Wyganowski (is that the right spelling?) with a really tall top tube but I don’t want to make it too tall.

What’s the standard seatpost diameter for higher end freestyle unicycles?

What do you consider to be the best freestyle pedal around?

Do you really need much grip for freestlyle? I ride barefoot for most stuff so would I need grippy pedals?

What style of tyre is best?

A friend of mine has a high pressure, completely slick tyre for his freestyle uni. Are there any disadvantages to this?

Well that sure is a lot of questions. Thanks a lot to anyone who answers them. Feel free to ask any other freestyle questions in this thread. I’m sure this is all goign to help a lot in the making of my ultimate freestyle unicycle.

Oh yes, one more thing…I’d like to have a frame painted in some sort of psycadelic style with lots of different colours. Is there any disadvantage to using just paint and not powder coating? I mewan, it’s not going to drop onto rocks and get scratched all that often is it.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

I know that for freestyle, tires like the Maxxis Hookworm are good, they hold very high PSI which makes less Wheel touch the ground and gives less friction. I’m not exactly sure why this is good, and I’m sure someone can explain it better than me, but it is better to have a high pressure slick tire for freestyle

I love the colours and pattern of the Maxxis Hookworm. I just had a look at the Primo ‘The Wall’ tyre that so many really good freestyle people use and it’s actually got a fair bit of grip. Could anyone who uses this tyre please say what they think about complete slick tyres?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: The ultimate freestyle unicycle…

You want a light wheel that won’t break. Depending on the types of tricks you will do, your wheel needs either good or very good strength. You may put a lot of unusual side forces on it (unusual for a normal wheel). A heavy wheel is not an advantage for Freestyle (including coasting), but too-light is also no good if it breaks.

The Wyganowski frame hugs the wheel on each side, but I think a wider frame would not be more than a very minor hinderance. You don’t want your crown sticking out beyond the fork legs, or it will bang your legs. But extending the crown area a little bit to the front and rear might be useful. I have thought of this, but not made anything. The further you go, the more it will interfere with wheel walking type skills, so you have to find a good compromise. I’d like to try something similar to a giant washer, one with an inside hole that just fits around the seat tube.

The Wyganowski frames are made from parts for a tandem fork, I believe. Nothing espeically wide. The Miyatas are narrower. you don’t want rounded edges, because that will cut down your grip. A textured top would be useful.

Watch a video of Dan Heaton and you will say no. Several top riders have used low seats, including the guys who developed coasting and seat-drag skills. So to keep your options open, don’t make your frame too high.

The one that used to be my favorite was what came with the Semcycle Deluxes many years ago. But those have been off the market for a long time, so no sense describing those. MYS-Co has a nice indoor freestyle pedal, with real soft ends. That’s what I have now:
http://japanunicyclingassociation.org/shop/index.html
(picture below)

Yes, you need grip for Freestyle. But you also don’t want too much tooth, because you’ll be open to getting whacked in the shins a lot. And riding barefoot is a bad idea. Fine for playing around, but if you’re working on unispins, you’re going to regret it.

Primo The Wall works well for me. A nice round cross-section and low-profile tread. I tried a slick tire once and didn’t like it. But that was just once. It again depends whether you ride indoors or out, and on what types of surfaces.

More than 90% of the scratches on my Freestyle unis come from when it’s not being ridden. Loading in and out of the car, being parked with other unicycles, etc. The stronger your finish is, the longer it will look nice.

54.jpg

Thanks a lot guys. John, what didn’t you like about the completely slick tyre? I guess if I can source one I’ll get myself a Primo ‘The Wall’. Is there any way to seal a normally painted frame so that it’s just as tough and scratch resistant as a powder coated one?

I wear shoes for anything like unispins but I reckon you get a good feel for what you’re doing when riding barefoot. For gliding I wear one of those cheap shoes that are really floppy and made for walking on coral, etc with. I just waer one shoe and think that any more feels horribly bulky.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:49:04 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>The [pedal] that used to be my favorite was what came with the Semcycle
>Deluxes many years ago. But those have been off the market for a long
>time, so no sense describing those.

I bought my Semcycle Deluxe (they are just called Semcycle but I think
it is what you mean) 3 years ago with the stock pedals. They have a
surface with small ‘pyramids’ all over. Over time I have come to
realise that the grip is less than optimal. (I still have them and
could provide a picture.) Are those your favourite?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder”

coming to a swap meet near you…

the shadow pic.jpg

Oh no! :astonished:
Not the freestyle.
Don’t do it Jagur.

you know you want me to. :astonished:

accually,i dont think a freestyle uni can sell.freestyle just aint happening around here.

Well, it was inevitable that you would eventually sell it. But being without a freestyle unicycle is just hard to fathom.

If I had to pare down my unicycle fleet to just two unicycles it would be my 24x3 muni and my freestyle. I can’t even allow myself to think about what it would be like to cut the fleet down to just one unicycle. You’d have to pry my muni and freestyle uni from my cold dead fingers.

SELL, what does that mean? I only understand BUY. Jagur, that is one nice freestyle uni. If it was beer you bought, you couldn’t sell it, so why a uni?

Although john_childs could live with two uni, I need three and only have two. This is the difference between the haves and have nots. The one I need is a Coker/36. I’ve discovered I would need to travel to do much serious muni, and freestyle is difficult without a nice (wood) gym floor. For the winter I can’t see anything else working but a Coker.

It was a cheapie, and I much preferred the other white tires that were available to me at the time, so I didn’t stick with the slick long. Mostly I think I was riding it outdoors on pavement, and I just didn’t like the way it tracked. Don’t give this opinion a lot of weight, because I didn’t spend much time with the slick.

Re: Re: The ultimate freestyle unicycle…

I think three years is not long enough ago. These pedals had two rectangular blocks of white plastic, which stuck out the ends for floor protection. The “blunt pyramids” were square at the base. There were two rows of them down each half of the pedal.

These pedals did not have a lot of grip, but they were a lot less unfriendly to the shins and calves. I found them a good compromise when learning lots of new tricks.

pedals?

i have a primo “the wall” tyre too, its nice.

i currently have some crappy pedals, they came free with the uni.

has anybody tried the langenberg pedals?

http://www.langenberg-manufaktur.de/d/template/index.html
the site is in german though

look for pedalen;)

they look pretty much perfect for freestyle.
shin freindly. and hand frendly too, if i ever learn to hand pedal.

not too cheap though but, hey, its not like theyre going to wear out in a hurry.

the circus bike riders ive been shareing a practice space with have them, and they seem strong and grippy.

i was thinking of getting some plastic oddyessy pedals but there still pretty hard things to get hit with. even though i like the platform style.

and the langenberg pedals are esier for me to get hold of than the miyata pedals,
or the oddysessy pedals for that matter which are unavailable in the u.k. or montreal.

has anyone tried KHE Stimulatorz pedals? They’re plastic but very solid looking and they come in 9/16" so should work on a uni.

Are nimbus’s good?