)> *
)> £30, but well worth it!!
)> *
)
)
)Yes, just imagine if you were a b*ker - you’d have to agonise about
)spending your pennies on two of these things! As some guy commented
)on the street the other day (probably the most intelligent comment I’ve
)had) - “you must save on tyres with one of those”.

It seems to me that I go through unicycle tires at more than double the
rate of bike tires. The twisting eats through tread quickly.
-Tom

Re: Re: The power of Gazz!

I agree. My onza 19" tire has 2 bald spots on it that are about 10" long. There literally aren’t any more knobbies left in those places. And I’ve only had this thing since October.

Re: Re: Re: The power of Gazz!

It’s a good idea to rotate the tyre on the rim occasionally, so that the wear happens in different places.

One plus side of the Gazz I’v found, with over a year of mixed trials (on concrete mostly) and muni, it still had plenty of life left. infact, one of my friends is still using it, almost two years after I was done with it. the kujo I replaced it with was toast in 3 months.

I’ve decided to sell my Gazz 24"x3". It simply is not a good match for my riding style or the Bedford frame, and I have gotten used to 24"x2.10.

It was ridden about 100 yards - still has the little extra rubber from when it was molded. I’ll throw in the tube as well.

Perhaps retail -5% and I will cover shipping?

My Gazzaloddi was installed by Unicycle.com, and it has never been seated properly in the rim. When I spin the wheel it looks like it is buckled, but it is due to the tire being on there funny. It would not work well in your frame Andrew! The bulge is near to the valve, and I have tried deflating it and reinflating it, but I am unable to push the valve in far enough to make a difference. I can push it in but then I can’t inflate the tire, because the pump nozzle needs plenty of valve sticking out. I asked about it at the local bike store but they said downhill tires can be difficult to get on properly, so they didn’t want to attempt to fix it. I have a half worn spare Gazzaloddi that Tony Melton sold me cheap, and I will put that on eventually if my current tire dies.

I agree with Tom Holub, unicycling seems to wear through tires more than twice as fast as on bikes (unless the bicyclists are doing skids on concrete). A lot of my tire wear would result from spinning round and turning on concrete. I’m not worried about the cost of replacing tires, even though a Gazzaloddi is expensive. If I get a couple of years use out of one, and I ride most days, then its only a few cents a day for plenty of enjoyment.

Get a tire valve extender. You’ll be able to push the valve further up in the rim. A little talc (from talc based baby powder) may also help things slide around.

It could also be the tube. Make sure it’s a tube designed to fit a 24x3 tire.

does the nimbus 2 frame fit a 24"x3" duro tyre?
Ben

Yes, try combining talc with over-inflating. That does the job with a lot of tyres. i don’t know about the Gazz though…I haven’t tried that method with it.

Andrew

Yes Ben, I think the Nimbus frame does take the Duro tyre (that maybe the one Phil has on…)

Email Roger or Miark and ask (roger/miark at unicycle dot uk dot com)

As for rotating the tyre, I just change the position of my cranks. It is much easier, especialy with a splined hub. My old trials tyre is totally bald. I now have an Onza sticky Fingers tyre.

Joe,

Joe,

Is the Onze trials tyre wearing well? Also, can you notice any more grip with the sticky bit?

Andrew

Thanks for the tip John. I’ll look into that extender thing, it could come in handy for my airseat too. The tire bulge thing doesn’t actually bother me when riding, so it’s not a big deal. I don’t want to spend too much time trying to solve it.

I am pretty sure the Wilder 6160c comes with a Gazzaloddi downhill innertube, so I doubt that is the cause of the bulge. Tony Melton threw in a spare innertube with the spare Gazzaloddi tire he sold me too, so I have no shortage of downhill tubes. Those tubes are pretty fat!

I successfully ran a 24" x 1.50-1.75" tube in my Gazz for almost a year with no problems (until it got a slow leaking pinch). :slight_smile:

Andrew

Re: The power of Gazz!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:29:54 -0600, thinuniking wrote:

>does the nimbus 2 frame fit a 24"x3" duro tyre?

It sure does, that is my setup. (Duro Wildlife Leopard is the same as
Halo Identiti Contra.) The clearance is not very large but has always
been enough for me. See
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/nimbusii_clearance.jpg>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson”

Sorry for going off topic Andrew, I don’t want to start a new thread.

I checked out the tire valve extenders at a local Auto-parts store. They cost almost $20 for four plastic ones. I only wanted one, and they don’t sell stainless steel ones. They sent me across the road to try a tire shop, who checked out my wheel and said that I have plenty of valve sticking out anyway. They looked at the bead and said it was sitting on there OK, and suggested that the cause of the bulge was due to a faulty tire rather than being badly seated. The guy (who claimed to have had a lot of experience with motorbike tires) let the air out of the tire and painted some sort of lube stuff all the way round, and then put the maximum pressure in (29 psi) for a while. It did nothing to solve the bulge, so it looks like I am stuck with it until I change the tire. I’ve still got plenty of life in my bald Gazzaloddi, so I will ride with it and be happy that my frame isn’t any narrower. My tire would be no fun in Andrew’s frame.

Whoa!!! Prices aren’t so good in NZ. :astonished:

I was only able to find them in packages of 4. The plastic ones were a couple of bucks (US) for four. The metal ones were about $5 (US) for four.

$20 (NZ) = $13.14 (US)
The prices at that auto shop were more than double or tripple what they should be (not taking in to account taxes and such).

You can pump up the Gazz to more than 29 psi to get the bead to seat properly in the rim. Once the bead gets set then lower the pressure down to normal riding pressure. I don’t know how high you can pump it up to, but double the 29 psi should be OK.

I haven’t had any Gazz tires that wouldn’t sit evenly in the rim. The seem to do a quality job making their tires. I’d be surprised if it was a faulty tire.

Maybe the tire was damaged when it was first mounted. Sometimes it can take quite a bit of force and prying to mount the tire when it’s new. Hard to know.

Oh well, as long as it’s working OK the way it is there really isn’t a need to fiddle with it too much. Hopefully your next Gazz will not have that problem.

I guess that is a possibility, but the guy at the tire shop said the line was even with the rim all the way around, and I checked myself later on and he was right. If it was forced on, then surely it could only be damaged around the edge rather than in the fat part where it flares out. When I have shown people my wheel spinning, they immediately think I have a buckle, until I point out that the rim is (almost) true. It’s easiest for me to blame a faulty tire, and leave it at that. Like you said, theres no need to fiddle with it, so I will just be happy I don’t have a puncture!