The official SIF hop thread

I feel this is necessary for all of the newer riders. And put it in this forum because I thought it would get much more views.

this is the spot for riders seeking advice. More experienced riders can answer questions and discuss technique.

heres a start:

the most crucial part of the SIF hop (too me) is the prehop/“take off”

since i am a jumper and pole vaulter, i know that posture is key if you want to jump efficiently.

so if you are using a prehop, position yourself at a comfortable distance from the ledge.(so you can use a powerful prehop). and remember keep your back straight and your head up.(it will help with the landing too)

now after you have compressed your tire(before you leave the ground) jump with all the force you have, springing your knees, almost like jumping on a trampoline.

okay, so so far you have done your prehop, and you have used your tires bounce (like a trampoline). now, your posture comes into the picture. as you leave the ground, completely straighten your body out. now this comes from my pole vaulting experience. as you take off from the runway, you want to be as tall as you want, and jump up. since you wanna go high, might as well get as tall as you can possibly be. makes sense right?

so as you leave the ground your body should be straight as you rocket up. never take your eye off the ledge.

this is your perfect set up for your tuck. you have a straight body, and your traveling upwards. now as your going up you want to start your tuck. your timing is key, this will also come with practice.

back to your posture. so you have finished your tuck and your either over the obstacle or already touching it. your butt should be touching the tire. if your butt is touching the tire, that means that your back is straight. you dont wanna be curled up into a ball cause its hard to keep your balance that way ad you’ll tip over.

hope that helps!

-RILEY!

Sounds helpfull to me. And if it is about unicycling it should go in RSU any way, whether it gets more views or not.

cool, this will make ongoing help for a lot of people.

Imo, SI beats SIF any day…

What about the day when you have to jump 120cm?

so all the people who need help hit me up!

haha, i’m oposite yay. I hardly tuck, but i do fold a lot when riding SI.

When i SIF, i dont really know how to tuck much…

This is me practicing a couple of hours ago practicing Sif at 54.6 cm. So yeah the Vimeo might take a little longer to convert but the youtube is up. I need advice on possible posture, or really anything. (yay at first one asking for help?)

Youtube

Vimeo

-also check out the story I posted in the little heading thing… it should almost go in the “Made my day” thread"

are you talking about rolling hops? or just seat in.

you pedal grab :):stuck_out_tongue:

oh no you didn’t!

the best help is helping yourself, practice, and it will come with time, and determination is much more progressive than frustration.

i had to …
its funny cuz i pedal grabbed somewhere in the 115cm range yesterday, but i couldn’t for the life of me get on a ledge that was about 30 cm lower without a pedal grab, i guess that’s what i get for being out of practice.

how those that work??

just like everything else, i’m more confident and comfortable with a high pedal grab than i am a high hop to rubber, and i have to commit to a pedal grab or get hurt, while i can just fall to pedal on a jump to rubber(and commonly do on very high stuff)

Yeah I think I am the same way…I tuck alot, and don’t do a big hop…

isaac and emile.

i used to be the same way when i was younger. does it feel like your arm isnt strong enough when you do a prehop?

Yeah, kinda. Like the prehop almost feels like it doesn’t help…

I will upload a vid of me doing 61cm without a prehop and then 65cm with.

adjuggler. you have a pretty good prehop but it looks like you might be a little to close. i noticed a few times that your tire hit the side of the ledge on the way up. try lengthening your prehop a little. ( about a foot)
also, i noticed that you still lean over your seat as you try to tuck. you have to break these Seat In habbits. leaning over the seat takes away the ability to tuck.
thaks! riley!

adjuggler. you have a pretty good prehop but it looks like you might be a little to close. i noticed a few times that your tire hit the side of the ledge on the way up. try lengthening your prehop a little. ( about a foot)
also, i noticed that you still lean over your seat as you try to tuck. you have to break these Seat In habbits. leaning over the seat takes away the ability to tuck.
thanks! riley!

When I first tried this I found my center of gravity pulled me backward towards (my back duh :slight_smile: ) How would I compensate for this shift? I tried moving my thighs forward on landing, helping a little. Ever have this issue?

Looking at some other videos I saw people shifting to the side instead (but also) straightening their back. This allowed movement of the tuck to fill the space taken up by leaning over their seat. Comments?