The "official" Muni Tyre Review Page

My Gazz Jr. never came off of my rim, I dont know how that can happen. I love my Gazz Jr. it’s really grippy and it looks cool:p

I agree, and I can’t remember the last this happened even ona bicycle, which is why I think the bead broke. I bought it off Ebay as new, so I’m not sure the seller would do a refund…

BUT, since these tires are now a few years out of production, it’s worth noting that they may be getting too old and could have age related defects.

24" Duro or Intense 24" (and where to buy)

I ride about 75% dirt trails, 25% pavement. Been riding for approx 9 months, and still consider myself a beginner muni rider.

1. Which is best 24"x3.0 tire to get (24" Duro, Intense 24" or something else)?

2. Where do you buy your 24" Duro Wildlife tires or your Intense 24" tires? (didnt look like they were available at UDC)

Thanks,
Scott

I can’t answer “which is best” because I’ve only ever used Duro Leopards. Some people really like the Intense - Terry MuniAddict is a big fan.

UDC usually sell Duros, or sometimes Halo Contra which is the same thing rebranded.

AFAIK the Intense tyres are out of production but Jamey (UniProShop) had some stock of them - not sure if he has any left now.

Rob

surly endomorph 26" x 4"

is an other big muni tire.

its excellent in soft ground, sand, snow
really good for soft landing drops
its light wheight around 1200gr

but not recomanded for wet grass, roots etc…
on rough terrain you can go with very low pressure,
but on road it should be more than 25psi otherwise it rides like a steamroller

it has the same diametre than a 29" tire
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/album.php?albumid=42&pictureid=231
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/album.php?albumid=42&pictureid=232
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/album.php?albumid=42&pictureid=230

my favourite is the 26" x 3" gazza on the 65mm large marge rim

jogi

Another option is the Felt Berm Master. If you’re looking for a hardcore MUni tire you’re better off with the Duro or Intense but if you don’t mind giving up some grip in the dirt to get better performance on paved surfaces then the Berm Master could be a good choice. There’s more on it in this thread: 24x3 Felt Berm Master Tire

Both my son and I prefer the Intense DH 24" because it can be run at very low pressures and not bottom out. It’s just about as sticky as the Duro, but has a harder “edge” of knobbies, so carves better when cutting sharp turns. I don’t find that it slips amy more or less than he Duro when riding in wet conditions. It does seem to wear longer.

There’s nothing wrong with the duro, but as a heavier rider I find it’s not enough tire for me, can’t seem to find a happy place in terms of tire pressure and ride feel. I use a Duro on my 26" only because I trashed my new Gazz Jr. I have some other DH tires in the works, one is a Intense DH 2.6 which might be enough girth for my needs.

some weights

26" x 4" surly endomorph 1260g
26" x 2,5 Try All Stiky 1280g
26" x 3" Duro Wildlife 1550g
26" x 3" Nokian Gazzaloddi 1650g

new tires self scaled

The Surly Endomorph is a surprising weight for such a big tire!

yes! its very thin build and I suppose its an other kind of Material than ordinary tires, a bit like silikone…or what else
nevertheless there are no problems like you know from other thinwall tires.
in dry conditions I like it very much its excellent bouncing and lightweight

• and looks really giant, you always get attention :roll_eyes:

I was also surprised about the weight of the duro (1650g in the catalog)
and gazza (1550g in the catalog )

I picked up a Maxxis Minion 26 x 2.7, still haev to mount it up, but it’s about the same weight as a Duro 3" and the sidewalls feel like a Gazz, so it might be a nice ride. I’ll report back after this weekend.

Maxxis Minion DH 26 x 2.7
Measures out to 2.25" wide (outside to outside of knobbies) and 2.25" tall (rim edge to top of knobbies). Compare with a Intense DH 24 x 3 measuring 2.5" x 2.5". So a hair smaller all around.

I didn’t get a weight, but Maxxis says it’s 1320gm. I compapred it my Duro 26 x 3" and it did seem lighter.

How does it ride?
Well, my goal was to find a tire that was similar to the Intense DH. I wouldn’t say that the Minio is similar, though the Minion does has a consistent hard knobby edge like the Intense and Gazz Jr. The first thing I noticed with the Minion is how fast and light it seems, like quick even, so not sure if it’s because of the weight and volume or tread pattern.

In dry and wet conditions, traction was comparable to the Duro and Intense. I initially ran it high pressure (18#), then lowered it (14#), but found I was hitting the rim on hard impacts, so I put it at 16# and it felt good. I’m 200#. I could see bumping up or down by 2# depending on air temp.

Sidewall strength is higher than the Duro as evidenced by the tire holding an edge on off angles, esp when I’m starting on a sidehill. So less sloppy at low pressures than the Duro, though still not quite as firm as the Intense. The Intense and Gazz Jr really have the best sidewall design for muni, but sadly neither is made anymore :frowning:

In comparision to the TRY ALL Stiky, this tire has more width, more volume, and more sidewall strength, so I’d vote for the Minion over the Stiky.

The Minion didn’t seem to be any worse with crowns than other tires I’ve tried. Rebound was good, though the lack of volume compared to the Duro was telling; it is a smaller tire. The ride was good overall, though at times it felt like a tractor tire as it doesn’t have as clean a centerline as some other tires. Overall it is one of my new favorites as I felt like my riding was stepped up a notch by riding the Minion over the Duro.

The best thing about the Minion: They are still being made!!!

Sounds quite promising (although I’m pretty happy with the Duro for the riding I tend to do, and haven’t like the “sacred” Gazz 3" at all when I’ve ridden other people’s munis). Is that a rear Minion you’re testing? The front one looks like it wouldn’t be nice at all.

Rob

+1 DHF or DHR
one more question, is it the sticky compound?

@Nurse Ben: Nice review. Since I’ve been getting more experience riding with my Schlumpf KH24 MUni I’ve been thinking that perhaps I should experiment with a thinner tire than my current 24x3 Nokian Gazz. I love the Gazz and have a brand new replacement for when my current one goes. However I’ve noticed that riding in high-gear the advantages of having such a wide tire go out the window; it would be better (nicer?) to have a tire with a bit less rolling resistance. Anybody out there using a 24" MUni tire that isn’t 3" wide that does pretty good? I’m now starting to see Kris Holm’s logic with going with the 26" tire of less than 3" width…! :slight_smile:

I have the DHF 26 x 2.70 with wire bead. The DHR would work, though it might be slicker side to side…

I don’t know that a narrower tire is a replacement for all uses, they certainly don’t help with hopping, but for more of a rolling XC use the narrow tires work fine. The Minion is nice beause it has a stiff sidewall, like the Intense ro Gazz, so it can be run at low pressures, unlike MTB tires which fold unless you pump them up over 20#; at least at my 200# weight.

KH is a lightweight, that’s why he can get away with riding MTB tires, well that and he’s an exceptionally skilled rider :slight_smile:

Next thing I’ll try is one of the wider Intense 26" tires…

Hey Munisano, good luck with finding a narrower tire for your 24", they just aren’t making that size in many tires these days, which is why I ride a 26": Lots of rim and tire choices.

Are you calling the Minion, Gazz and Intense non MTB tires? If they weren’t made for Mountain bikes I don’t know what they were made for.

I temporarily used a Continental Gravity 26 X 2.35 on a DX32. It was really light and responsive with good grip. It was a decent XC combo but I missed the flotation of a wider tire and switched back to my Gazz.

Thanks for clarifying that - from just looking at them I would have guessed the front pattern would be horrible to ride, but nothing beats actually trying it!

On the subject of using bike XC tyres, I sometimes use a 2.1" Ritchey Z-Max on my 26er for really muddy XC races where the mud is sticking to the tyre and a lot of the bikers are using 1.5" mud tyres. It works well for that, although it does have to be run at higher pressure and takes more concentration to ride when half asleep. It’s not good if it’s rocky or very rooty. It’s what I used to use all the time when I was riding mountain bikes (which is why I’ve got one lying around), but on a unicycle I prefer something a bit fatter for general off-road use.

Rob

That was one of the first tires i ever used for muni. I purchased them for my bike, but i hatedthem because they didn’t have enough grip to bite through leaves or grip slippery surfaces. Suprisingly it wasn’t a bad xc muni tire. The sidewalls are fairly stiff, and they last forever. It has a nice stable profile that works well for narrower rims, but it’s lower volume than any of the other 2.3x’s i currently own.

My current really bad weather tire is a 2.35 maxxis swamp thing. It has decent bounce for it’s size and it rides wet trails like it has tentacles. This tends to make it horrible on pavement :slight_smile: because of that, if i’m riding in heavy snow and ice around town, i’ll usually take something more road friendly.

Yeah I know, just thought I’d ask. FWIW, I invested into the sport BEFORE there were a lot of 26" options! :slight_smile: (My first MUni was a 26er which I had to piece part together with quite a bit of effort) Now the pendulum has swung the other way! That is all within a few years, a sign of how quickly our sport is changing! Still, I’ve got a slightly used 24x3 Duro, and a brand new 24x3 Gazz waiting for me so I should be good in the 24" realm for a while longer. After that I’ll look into throwing some more $$$ at a 26" KH frame and rim set. If I do that I’m pretty sure I’ll go with a narrower 26" tire. I’m really starting to think Kris Holm is on to something (surprise, surprise). Still I want a MUni set-up that is nimble and tight for the rough trail system I have to ride all the time; I think a 26x3 would be too much (more like a 28er). You wouldn’t think a couple of inches would make a difference but I can tell when I ride the tight and buff single track around here. I’d love to have a 29er too, but that would be a nightmare to ride around Monte Sano!