The Official 19" Trials Tyre Thread

@ jamessd - how many 19" trials tyres have you ridden in that list? how many have you owned?

i agree with sponge on the CC build quality compared to trial is poor. that doesnt make it a bad tyre, but seeing threads come out of the sidewalls doesnt inspire confidence.

anwyays its a good list, i’d agree with most of it (although i’ve only tried the eagle claw a few times never owned it and never ridden a whitewalled monty.)

thing i’d say though is that the tryall wears quicker than an echo 08, but that doesnt really matter that much.

Well I’ve ridden the CC, Try-all, Echo and Luna. I own the try-all, CC and echo.

My CC, you can see the threads through the sidewall, and EVERYWHERE on the tire that has an angle, it has cracks… not sure if this is from salt in the winter, or just how the tire is…

My friend with a Luna, his tire is more than 2 years old and it looks new still. Neither of us ride regularly or even a lot… well I ride to school everyday, which is about 1.5km there and back.

I have been considering a Try-All tire for a while, I hated the Maxxis ever since I did my first gap and it folded way over and then when it unfolded shot me off the ledge… :frowning: I can’t ride high pressure on the Unicycle, I like the bounce the tire gives me, I hate that stiff feeling. On a bike though, I ride my tires all at their maximum rated air pressure, and I haven’t had a flat in over 3-4 years of riding, one flat a couple months ago due to an OLD tube, valve stem ripped off, but that doesn’t count, mainly because I was putting a valve cap on when it happened and it wasn’t even tight yet, it was a thorn resistant tube.

Question about the tire with the stripe (Onza): In the pictures I have seen, it seems to be wide… but the profile of the tire seems to be much lower than any other trials tire, what are the facts on this?

I personaly I have ridden a CC, Try All, and Luna. The Info sponge posted is Right on. Everything about wear, sidewall thickness, hardness to softness, its all on cue. Great stuff here for anyone thinking of buying a tire soon, or wondering how another option compaires to their current setup.

Something I think is neat:
The Tryall (which is apperently in the tops for grip), is also a great tire to shave. This shows what Sponge is saying about the high level of construction. Its has an awesome grip shape and compound, ontop of a nicely shapped tire with thick sidewall, all while keeping weight down. Now the price on these makes a bit of sence, huh?.

…also:

Dude, Jerrick has weird opinions on all sorts of things. Just beacuse he wore down a CC and still chooses to ride it, doesnt change the factual information Sponge posted. Please do everyon on here a favor and STOP POSTING your conversation here. You added your opinion, as second handed as it may be. I think we get what you are trying to say.

Hmm, that’s rather weird. I’ve got a 1.5 year old Try-All tyre here that still has a fair bit of tread in places, mind this tyre was used by Joe originally and then given to me. At the same time, I’ve known many biketrials riders to have kept a Try-All for almost if not a complete year. The Echo actually wears out surprisingly quickly we found. However, the Echo and Try-All are from two different worlds almost… one is totally urban suited and the other is more natural suited. But yeah, as I say, don’t take my word as the word of God. I’ve just made reviews of all the current tyres on the market based on my past knowledge and experience doing biketrials and uni trials, Joe’s experiences with all these tyres, and the opinions of the biketrials community as a whole.

I’d say for purely trials… the Try-All and Monty Eagle Claw are the ones you’d want seeing as their grip slaughter the hard compound tyres, yet their treads last ages. At a high enough level, you can really appreciate the subtle qualities of the Try-All, I was truly shocked to see how the Try-All just hung onto a wet round rail only by its side treads and sidewall… something which squareblock-tread tyres aren’t as good at.

Tyres like the Echo and Luna lean more towards riders who want less rolling resistance and ‘dragging feeling’ whilst cycling… i.e. for street riders.

But whatever, I don’t want people arguing and bickering about this. Just accept the reviews or ignore them. Doesn’t bother me either way, I just like to help, in this case sharing my experience and some knowledge taken from two different trials sports.

Thanks Sponge, it is good to see all that info in one place by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I have ridden CC and Luna, your review on CC was bang on, and well, nobody can argue with your review for the Luna. I personally prefer the feel of the Luna and they are way cheeper here.

I have a Question for other cold weather riders: Has anybody done much riding in the winter with anything other than a CC or Luna? And what are your findings?

I have found that the Luna stands up to the winter conditions like a champ but does not expel snow very well. I have mostly been using a studded Luna for winter trials and haven’t noticed ANY appreciable wear other than on the studs.

The CC seems not to snowball as much but seems to wear even faster in the winter than it does in the summer, I have no idea why. It also gets deep cracks all the way to the casing in the tread, not to mention the side-walls seem to show threads in no time. The cracks in the tread and the visible threads on the side-walls look ugly but don’t seem to effect performance.

I’ve been riding this tire since December 2006.

probably because he is getting alot of info from Joe. Plus it helps us know that he is getting this info from someone who actualy has tried these products, which although not the best kind of info, is still a hell of alot better than the third or fourth hand info you tend to get on these forums on these subjects.

He also rides with Joe if I’m not mistaken.

Okay, I get the point! - and I knew that anyway.

I said what I wanted to say, It wasn’t meant to be offensive or anything, and now it’s over.

Yeah, why am I getting dragged into this?

I never said my tire was shaved, I said I rode it for as long as I did to get it to wear out.

I dont think my opinions are weird though. I read a lot on this site, and a lot of what I read, is the exact oppesite of what I experience with my riding and equipment.

Like this quote from Sponge.

Now here is my fact about this. I do ride on slanted surfaces. All the time, wither it be on rocks, logs, and natural settings, or the fact that I setup the pallets I find to be slanted and at odd angles. Low pressure? I keep mine right at 30psi, or 20psi. I have two gauges, and each one tells me something different. But, for me, I still hit my rim a lot, and fold over with the rocks and stuff. Its improving, and on urban stuff has like a 5% of happening.

I’m looking at my CC tires, all three of them, and now thread showing on either of them.

See, I don’t see how that is weird, its just me posting my facts, which most of the time, go against what other people post. There are variables.

Reading this thread again and finding the point where I was quoted into here, was used somewhat wrong. Like I said before, I didn’t shave my tire. Over a long time, and at very small increments, did my tire go bald. I have the same effect of a shaved tire now, and its joy to ride on. But I agree with Sponge here. The CC isn’t the best tire to shave. Its already thin and soft, and without paying attention, you will take off too much rubber, and quickly wear it down to non-rideable.

Well, great thread, Sponge. I enjoyed reading it, and now have an interest in the try-all stiky. Once my CC tires are finally dead, which may take a while lol, I will probably try the try-all out, and the eagle claw. I have had my eye on the eagle claw for a while.

that tells us nothing
how hard, how much a day, pressure, how much you weigh, etc
doesnt contradict what he said
like you are trying to do

What?

I was showing the cracking that happens, which is completely agreeing with him.

If you must know.

Couple drops here and there not usually over 2 feet.
I weight 155, and run 25~ psi.
Ride on concrete.
Ridden in temperatures as low as -20c.
Casual rider, and rotate the cranks regularly.

i think he thought u were saying that the CC doesnt wear quickly. peope shouldn’t be so jumpy…

it’s a tyre - not your mum

HAHAHAHA…that made my week lol wow

damn this thread got jacked!

Awesome write up though. I wish this was made before I decided to try out a CC. O well :roll_eyes:

I have a try-all now and I’m going to build up another uni with the CC on it. So pretty soon I’ll have a side by side comparison…

what about the onza sticky fingers???
anyone know about that one?

It’s in his review, second from the bottom.

I hate the Creepy Crawler! I have only ridden the CC and the Luna, but I can safely say I will not be buying another CC. It folds way too much and messed up loads of lines.
The luna is definatly a hard compound, theres not alot of grip on smooth surfaces, like the mable in Milton Keynes. I have ridden it for just over a year now and it still has barely worn.

Next I think im gonna try the Monty.

Edd

Great guide Sponge!
I agree on most points, from my own experience of the tires.
The only thing I’m missing in this guide is weights. My CC and Try-all felt considerably lighter than my current eagle claw.