The new "Things you CAN'T do on a uni" List

>4) One Foot riding of an “Ultimate Wheel!!!” (I dare anyone to say they’ve
> done it)

yikes! how about one-foot riding the BC wheel? :slight_smile: Andy Schwartz of the TCUC
thinks it could be possible, right? And he is awesome on the BC wheel.

Tammy


Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Hey all you UNI psychos …

I’m now starting to compile a new list along the lines of John Foss “Things not
to do on a Unicycle.”

My list will be called, “Things you CAN’T do on a UNI.”
=====

                                  or

                    "The List of Impossible Uni Feats"

)–/========================================================O

It shall begin with Rick Bissel’s input of last month:

  1. Last month Rick Bissel (or his kid) challenged our imaginations with talk of
    someone actually building and riding an “Ultimate Giraffe.”

  2. Then John Foss chimed in with the idea of “Wheel walking” a BC wheel. (with
    “normal” tire I suppose")

  3. Then Ken Fuchs spoke of a “B.C. Giraffe,” and even submitted a “picture”
    of one :wink:

So, I’m adding somthing which happened to me last night quite by accident when
one pedal fell off my ultimate wheel:

  1.               One Foot riding of an "Ultimate Wheel!!!"
                   (I dare anyone to say they've done it)
    

So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to this
list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark lively
debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these things!!!

But that’s what our on-line comm-UNI-ty is for, Right!!!

Happy trails,

Steve

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

>So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to this
>list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark lively
>debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these things!!!

Has anyone been able to wheel-walk with the seat dragging?

I’m serious! I was wondering if it could be possible by facing perpendicular to
the axis of the unicycle and having one foot on the fork crown and the other on
top of the wheel, and moving along kind of like a one footed sideways wheel
walk. Getting into it and out of it would be interesting.

What about wheel-walking with BOTH feet on the wheel and dragging the
seat…Impossible?

-Rick

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

trdwnds@asiaonline.net wrote:
> My list will be called, “Things you CAN’T do on a UNI.”
> =====

What about riding a B.C. wheel backwards? I just wanted to add bunny hopping on
a B.C., but I already have seen this.

M.B.C ? Mountain B.C. … just a thought. Might be easy to go uphills, because
it’s not very heavy, if you have to carry it.

lars


±-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Wann haben Sie das letzte Mal so richtig gestaunt? |
±-------------------------------------------------------------+
| http://www.circomique.de |
±-------------------------------------------------------------+

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

i thought of this one.

how about riding a giraffe uni, where the pedals are in the normal place, that
is to say no chain set. the only way to do it would be if the >rider< wore
stilts :slight_smile:

trev

----- Original Message ----- From: <trdwnds@asiaonline.net> To:
<unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: 09 April 2000 01:32 Subject: The new “Things
you CAN’T do on a uni” List

>
> Hey all you UNI psychos …
>
> I’m now starting to compile a new list along the lines of John Foss
"Things
> not to do on a Unicycle."
>
> My list will be called, “Things you CAN’T do on a UNI.”
> =====
>
> or
>
> “The List of Impossible Uni Feats”
>
> )–/========================================================O
>
> It shall begin with Rick Bissel’s input of last month:
>
> 1) Last month Rick Bissel (or his kid) challenged our imaginations with talk
> of someone actually building and riding an “Ultimate Giraffe.”
>
> 2) Then John Foss chimed in with the idea of “Wheel walking” a BC wheel. (with
> “normal” tire I suppose")
>
> 3) Then Ken Fuchs spoke of a “B.C. Giraffe,” and even submitted a
“picture”
> of one :wink:
>
> So, I’m adding somthing which happened to me last night quite by accident when
> one pedal fell off my ultimate wheel:
>
>4) One Foot riding of an “Ultimate Wheel!!!”
> (I dare anyone to say they’ve done it)
>
> So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to
this
> list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark lively
> debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these things!!!
>
> But that’s what our on-line comm-UNI-ty is for, Right!!!
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Steve
>
>

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

My 11 yo daughter who is into unicycling and acrobatics, suggested that it would
not be possible to cartwheel on a uni, i.e. a 360 degree turn sideways thru a
momentary handstand with the uni on top, then on to normal position. I’m not
sure though that this would be considered a unicycle skill.

Klaas

On 8 Apr 2000 01:32:43 -0700, trdwnds@asiaonline.net wrote:

>
>Hey all you UNI psychos …
>
>I’m now starting to compile a new list along the lines of John Foss "Things not
>to do on a Unicycle."
>
>My list will be called, “Things you CAN’T do on a UNI.”
> =====
>
> or
>
> “The List of Impossible Uni Feats”
>
>)–/========================================================O
>
>It shall begin with Rick Bissel’s input of last month:
>
>1) Last month Rick Bissel (or his kid) challenged our imaginations with talk of
> someone actually building and riding an “Ultimate Giraffe.”
>
>2) Then John Foss chimed in with the idea of “Wheel walking” a BC wheel. (with
> “normal” tire I suppose")
>
>3) Then Ken Fuchs spoke of a “B.C. Giraffe,” and even submitted a “picture” of
> one :wink:
>
>So, I’m adding somthing which happened to me last night quite by accident when
>one pedal fell off my ultimate wheel:
>
>4) One Foot riding of an “Ultimate Wheel!!!”
> (I dare anyone to say they’ve done it)
>
>So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to this
>list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark lively
>debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these things!!!
>
>But that’s what our on-line comm-UNI-ty is for, Right!!!
>
>Happy trails,
>
>Steve
>

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

Dear Bill,

At 08:14 PM 4/18/00 GMT, Klaas Bil wrote:
>My 11 yo daughter who is into unicycling and acrobatics, suggested that it
>would not be possible to cartwheel on a uni, i.e. a 360 degree turn sideways
>thru a momentary handstand with the uni on top, then on to normal position. I’m
>not sure though that this would be considered a unicycle skill.
>
>Klaas

This is an entertaining idea to add to “Some” list.

Since it probably can be done, it won’t go on my “CAN’T DO” list, but if you
could get a picture of someone in mid flip actually doing this, I’m sure John
would post it on his … “Not to Do” list …

With some VERY FUNNY caption!!

Now who’s brave enough to model for the photo shoot??

Keep scratching those UNI heads, and hand in your “Impossible UNI Feats.”

Steve

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

----- Original Message ----- From: Rick Bissell <rickbissell@ncweb.com> To:
<unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2000 7:58 PM Subject: Re: The
new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> >So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to
this
> >list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark
> >lively debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these
> >things!!!
>
> Has anyone been able to wheel-walk with the seat dragging?
>
> I’m serious! I was wondering if it could be possible by facing perpendicular
> to the axis of the unicycle and having one foot on the fork crown and the
> other on top of the wheel, and moving along kind of like a one footed sideways
> wheel walk. Getting into it and out of it would be interesting.
It would be difficult, but it probably will not be considered a unicycling
skill. If the foot on the crown carries any weight, the seat becomes a second
support spot.

Alberto Ruiz

>
> What about wheel-walking with BOTH feet on the wheel and dragging the
> seat…Impossible?
>
> -Rick
>

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

Coasting on a BC Wheel (both feet dragging on top of wheel).

Wayne van Wijk

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

trdwnds@asiaonline.net wrote:

> Dear Bill,
>
> At 08:14 PM 4/18/00 GMT, Klaas Bil wrote:
> >My 11 yo daughter who is into unicycling and acrobatics, suggested that it
> >would not be possible to cartwheel on a uni, i.e. a 360 degree turn sideways
> >thru a momentary handstand with the uni on top, then on to normal position.
> >I’m not sure though that this would be considered a unicycle skill.
> >
> >Klaas
>
> I have wondered about this myself. Also, a forward or backward flip. I think i
> could be done if the rider were clipped into the pedals. But, with a light
> enough cycle, it should be possible…

george peck

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

Greetings

In message “Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List”, Wayne van
Wijk wrote…
>Coasting on a BC Wheel (both feet dragging on top of wheel).

If this is not as joke, could you describe it in more detail. The only
“coasting” on a BC wheel that akes sense to me is for the rider to airborne with
the wheel rolling under him.

Don’t forget that the very essence of a BC wheel is that it is already coasting.

>Wayne van Wijk
>
>
>

Regards, Jack Halpern CJK Dictionary Publishing Society, http://www.kanji.org
Voice: +81-48-481-3103 Fax: +81-48-479-1323

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

>4) One Foot riding of an “Ultimate Wheel!!!” (I dare anyone to say they’ve
> done it)

I think people have done this. They put their other foot alongside the wheel and
let it kind drag there. Sorry.

Peter

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

From: trdwnds@asiaonline.net [snip]
> “The List of Impossible Uni Feats”
[snip]
>4) One Foot riding of an “Ultimate Wheel!!!” (I dare anyone to say they’ve
> done it)
[snip]

That might be possible (but certainly not by me). Put a BC wheel peg on one side
of the wheel and a pedal and crank on the other side.

Anyone here going to try it?

john_childs


Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

I worked on this trick for a little while and it is definitly possible. The
balance for the trick is pretty hard and it doesn’t look very good.

-Dan -----Original Message----- From: Rick Bissell <rickbissell@ncweb.com> To:
unicycling@winternet.com <unicycling@winternet.com> Date: Sunday, April 09, 2000
4:00 PM Subject: Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

>>So, scratch your twisted uni brains and come up with more additions to
this
>>list. I’m sure that each new proposal, as did the ones above will spark lively
>>debate, and even challenge the “Real Sickos” to try to do these things!!!
>
>Has anyone been able to wheel-walk with the seat dragging?
>
>I’m serious! I was wondering if it could be possible by facing perpendicular to
>the axis of the unicycle and having one foot on the fork crown and the other on
>top of the wheel, and moving along kind of like a one footed sideways wheel
>walk. Getting into it and out of it would be interesting.
>
>What about wheel-walking with BOTH feet on the wheel and dragging the
>seat…Impossible?
>
>-Rick

Re: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

Re this list:

It would be cool to archive versions of this list over time, so that the next
generation can look back at this list and laugh at the things that we thought
would be impossible.

-Kris.

— Lars Burgstahler <burgstahler@ind.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> trdwnds@asiaonline.net wrote:
> > My list will be called, "Things you CAN’T do on a
> UNI."
> > =====
>
> What about riding a B.C. wheel backwards? I just wanted to add bunny hopping
> on a B.C., but I already have seen this.
>
> M.B.C ? Mountain B.C. … just a thought. Might be easy to go uphills, because
> it’s not very heavy, if you have to carry
> it.
>
> lars
>
> –
>
±-------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Wann haben Sie das letzte Mal so richtig
> gestaunt? |
>
±-------------------------------------------------------------+
> | http://www.circomique.de
> |
>
±-------------------------------------------------------------+
>


Do You Yahoo!? Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

RE: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> > Has anyone been able to wheel-walk with the seat dragging?

> It would be difficult, but it probably will not be considered a unicycling
> skill. If the foot on the crown carries any weight, the seat becomes a second
> support spot.

Alberto is referring to the definition of what is a “unicycling skill” in our
rules of Freestyle competition. In other words, competition-wise, if you did
this skill it would not improve your Difficulty score because you’re not
actually unicycling, at least not as we have defined it.

But for an audience, you will be building a bridge between the mysterious
world of unicycling and the known world of the skateboard! For the trick to
work, I think you’d need to move the frame foot around a lot, as your
steering. This would make it look even more like a skateboard, and I think
audiences would love it!

If I were to work on the trick, I might start by adding a little caster to the
end of my seat, so it will roll more easily in any direction while I learn…

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

“Lay down – I think I love you” - Bumper sticker seen in Sacramento

RE: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> What about riding a B.C. wheel backwards?

Done it.

I’ve gotten into backwards two ways. The first is to roll into a wall, which can
be funny in a show. Smack, into the wall (hopefully not too hard), then
“peeling” off into a backwards roll away.

The other way is where you spiral down into almost a spin, then do a little 180
in there and roll out backwards. This one is a little harder.

> M.B.C ? Mountain B.C. … just a thought. Might be easy to go uphills, because
> it’s not very heavy, if you have to carry it.

I’ve done uphill too. I used to have a pair of ski poles, with pieces of old
tire tread on the tips to protect them (and the floor/ground). I could go uphill
and probably even off road if I was enough of a masochist. The ski poles
repaired the thing that made the BC wheel too similar to a skateboard, which is
that it doesn’t go on its own, you have to get off and push…

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

“Lay down – I think I love you” - Bumper sticker seen in Sacramento

RE: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> Coasting on a BC Wheel (both feet dragging on top of wheel).

When the feet drag, it’s called Gliding.

Coasting is the “standard” riding position on a BC. The other basic position is
“wheel walking with the hands”, which is the easier way to get it moving.

Gliding would definitely be impressive, even with only one foot.

Pedaling it would be cool too, but might end up violating the definition of
the cycle…

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

“Lay down – I think I love you” - Bumper sticker seen in Sacramento

RE: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> > drop the seat rather low, and do a headstand on the seat, (put your head on
> > the seat) and peddle the uni with your arms…

> Hmm, if I remember right, Sem Abrams did something like that on a special
> unicycle. It doesn’t have a seat, but some kind of fork to hold the shoulders.
> But then, it was only a photo I saw and it might be, that he fell the very
> next moment.

I remember seeing Sem do it in the NUC Public Show in 1993 in Adrian. He rode it
all the way around in a controlled circle.

A handfull of other performers have done this in the past. The most notable was
probably Mel Hall, who freemounted and did an inverted ride on a nine footer.
These unicycles don’t actually have seats; instead they have two little shoulder
supports. Sem’s also had a little “head bowl” to keep his head off the wheel.

But one of the most amazing unicycle feats ever performed has to be the one done
by Reino. This was featured on the cover of the IUF section inside the USA’s On
One Wheel in 1991 or 92. Reino, a Swedish circus artist, rode an ultimate wheel,
in a handstand, on a slack rope. It’s rare enough to see a unicycle on a tight
rope, even more rare to see it without a balance pole. I think he only performed
it a few times because it was so difficult and the audience had little or no
idea of the extreme difficulty.

So upside down riding is not available for the “can’t” list…

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

“Lay down – I think I love you” - Bumper sticker seen in Sacramento

RE: The new “Things you CAN’T do on a uni” List

> how about riding a giraffe uni, where the pedals are in the normal place, that
> is to say no chain set. the only way to do it would be if the >rider< wore
> stilts :slight_smile:

I have a picture of this one. The picture quality is bad, so it never made it to
my Things not to do page:

At the 1985 USA National Unicycle Meet as part of the “Coneheads” performance,
Frank Birdsall strapped on a pair of painters’ stilts and rode a Miyata with a
stack of seat post extensions. I think there were a dozen or more of them on
there, making for a ridiculous unicycling contraption! I think I’ve heard of
others doing this too…

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

“Lay down – I think I love you” - Bumper sticker seen in Sacramento