The Missing Link: A 32" unicycle, a' la Walmart and UDC

That sounds so good. Did you buy just the wheel?

I did. Only cost me $60 bucks after shipping, and they shipped an extra tire. Lucky me

Who did you contact? what is your planned use for it?

I don’t remember the number (it’s posted a few pages back), but I called kent bicycles customer service. I asked them if I could buy a replacement front wheel for the red 32 super cruiser. They said ok and sent it to me. A week later I had my wheel.

not bad, you reusing the current spokes?

I’ve finished welding the frame, here’s a picture. This is before I grinded the last weld, it will look like the other side though. I also have the jig I used next to it, it actually worked very well, I was worried because i’d never welded something that required a jig. I made the frame long enough to line up with the magura mounts in case I decide to put a brake on it. And yes I am panning on re-using the spokes, it’d be pretty expensive to get new ones and these look like they will work well enough.

IMG_20130228_162936.jpg

Magura mounts?? but there is no brake surface on the 32 inch wheel?? … wouldnt it have been less hassle to use a disk brake and a 36 inch frame??

Well if I had the money it wouldn’t be worth the hassle, but I am a broke college student lol. By getting the 26 inch frame over a 36 inch frame I saved 125 dollars, my hub vs a disk hub saves 80 bucks, or my cranks vs spirits saves 110, a v brake plus magura mount over a disk brake saves nearly 100 depending on the options. So in theory I could save myself the most trouble by just buying a full out 36er. I think most of the fun is putting in the hard work to get something one of a kind for far less money than other options. My total for the project right now is less than $200

And I have hand sanded most of my rim up to 800 grit, so the braking surface will be plenty good enough considering the cost savings. My real task will be truing the wheel well enough to not take a rim brake out of the question. But I have a tool up my sleeve to help with that too.

IMG_20130228_192715.jpg

Medaceina: thanks for the info, I was hopping it was closer to 700mm so I could use a production tire on my shrunken 36" rim, oh-well, good to know.

A tip for sanding sidewalls: put the built wheel in the frame and jam a sanding block between the rim and frame leg. Spin wheel until you see aluminum, switch to a finer grit and repeat until the paint is mostly gone. Switch to a finer grit and finish the job removing any remaining paint or scratches. Works like a charm and made a huge difference on a painted 36" rim.

And for truing the rim, you can use your frame as a truing stand, just put a zip-tie on one frame leg for a reference point.

did you make it so you can use your magura mounts

It’s almost done! I finished painting and truing the wheel, it wasn’t too bad, I had it true in about an hour and a half. I decided to put it on the frame and go out for a test ride. I loved it! Pretty hard to freemount compared to my 19" lol. But once I was on I stayed there. I rode about 4 or 5 miles, at 1 am and while it was snowing. I still have to paint the frame (right now it’s bare steel) but I’m very happy with my new machine.

It’s almost done! I finished painting and truing the wheel, it wasn’t too bad, I had it true in about an hour and a half. I decided to put it on the frame and go out for a test ride. I loved it! Pretty hard to freemount compared to my 19" lol. But once I was on I stayed there. I rode about 4 or 5 miles, at 1 am and while it was snowing. I still have to paint the frame (right now it’s bare steel) but I’m very happy with my new machine.

Edit: oops, the back button is dangerous

Painted yet? how did it do in the snow

I hadn’t painted the frame yet so it’s bare metal. I did paint the frame today though. I seemed good in the snow, even though we didn’t have much, maybe an inch or so. the frame will be the same yellow.

IMG_20130303_135851.jpg

Beautifull!

Great job and thanks for sharing the joy.

Greetings

Byc

Finished! I know the paint won’t hold up forever but for the time being it’s fine. I added a little 12 sided die valve cap that was the same color too. Overall I’m happy with my project. It’s been a fun experience.

IMG_20130303_151227.jpg

That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet! I love the colors.

love it! thoes 125 cranks?

Thanks!

And yes they’re qu-ax 125s

how fast ya go? ridden it off road yet?