The Mikefule Anthology

yes please.

Cathy

<http://www.lulu.com/products/books/>

lets you put a book online for people to order hard copies.

You can set if you want royalties or whatnot, and hence set the price (over and above the minimum cost for printing).

It’s free for the author, the website takes part of the book cost for printing costs.

They’re proper books. If you pay them $150 you can get an ISBN, and into wholesalers in the UK and US, so people can buy them from a normal bookshop. If you don’t, people have to order them from lulu.com.

Joe

A palpable hit!:o :slight_smile:

Hmmm. Only ever attached photos before. Lessee if this works.

Nope. Try again.

Mikefule’s Anthology Volume 1.pdf (104 KB)

Well, that’s about the first ten stories, tidied up a bit and with some “commentary”, just to see how people react. How does the format work?

Fantastic so far. Thanks Mikefule. Your first ten stories are now saved on my PPC for reading where ever I may roam.

Cathy

Great stuff Mike. Being a relative newcomer to both the sport and the forum, I missed a lot of your write ups. I enjoy them immensly and agree with others in this thread that even non-unicyclists would enjoy the stories. It might even give them an appreciation of the abuse we sometimes receive from the general populace and perhaps make them think twice about making some wise crack.

I know that without a lot of extra effort from you that this project of yours will fall mainly on the existing unicycling community however, for the uninitiated, perhaps a preface and a glossary of some common terms (Coker, UPD, etc.) would be helpful.

My main aim is to share the fun with the people in this community. The stories were written partly for my own enjoyment, and partly because I started to get requests for more. I feel like I’ve made many friends here, even though I haven’t met most of you, and I would not wish to exploit this forum for financial gain. Unicycling gave me a focus at one of the most difficult times of my life.

I think if I were to write for the non unicycling community, I’d need to tone some of it down, and probably mix and match the real incidents into a longer story to give it some semblance of a plot.

If the pdf I’ve posted attracts interest in this forum, I’ll probably tidy it up a bit more, add some of the later stories, add more commentary, an index and, as you suggest, a glossary of terms.

Thanks Mike. I’ll read those later.

Re: The Mikefule Anthology

“Mikefule” <Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
news:a7a8f05c1c3e08abe9c7ed46cea7e440.20pwlg@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> Nope. Try again.
>
>

I like the format, very clear, and much easier to read than the
original posts.

many thanks

nao

frankly your writings should be sponsored by some british tourist association: it’s the kind of thing that drives you to the british countryside (in parallel with “wind in the willows” and “three men in a boat”!)

Yes, it is.
NIKE it.

Well, your commentary on the pieces are great and might even be expanded. It’s not so evident in these stories, but some of your later pieces featured some ‘exclusive British-isms’ that could do with some (more) background.

I’ve considered a similar thing myself and still think that a ‘Gallery of Mikefule Wride-ups’ is a good idea.
Just a thread with an easy to remember title featuring a first post with links to all the relevant threads. Mike, you’ve done all the searching now, do you still have all the info available to do this?

“Tuesdays with Mike.”
I can see you on Oprah already.

And I’m being serious.
I love the idea of having all the stories available in their (more or less) original format.
I also love the idea of the whole thing being re-written for the general population.

Surely the Grand Ole Opry?:smiley:

Hmmm. All this is a weird experience for me.

I have copied and pasted the stories in original format to a working document. I’ve tidied and done a preliminary edit on the first 10. I think I’d rather continue with the project that way, then post them or otherwise make them available as pdf or similar. That way, anyone who wants to can easily print them and read them on the toilet or in the bath.

I may even stick a few photos in.

Back at work now after the break, so the pressure’s back on. Two busy weekends ahead: new year then Ruth’s birthday. It may be a while before I can get back onto the project.

For those who care enough, all I did was go to Search and choose threads started by Mikefule, then hover the pointer over the link to see if the first line made it look like a story or a not-story. However, my artistic pride demands of me that I tidy at least some of the worst punctuation and spelling.

I’ve just finished reading Part 1 of the Mikefule Anthology and I can’t wait to read more!

That was great!

Nice job Mike! I like that the dry humour element emerges clearly in the very first story.

I also agree with GILD…the short paragraphs “positioning” the stories are nice, and could be helpful in some cases to illuminate some of the uniquely British elements.

Or you could do it any way you choose and we’ll still be grateful, and I could shut up and get over to the UK and learn some of those elements myself. :slight_smile:

How far removed are you from the Reading area?

What would be a nice addition to the anthology would be an overview map indicating where those trails and spots are. (I may have said this before.) I’m quite a map-oriented map person, so that would help my comprehension. (I’m also an oriented-map person but that’s another story.)

This post has a link to a bit of a map.
This thread contains two posts by Mike ref maps to riding spots.
And I can’t find it now, but I know Mike’s posted a map clearly showing all the spots we all know so well.

Great!

I am looking forward to your 28" uni stories because then I can relate more!

Well, I normally consider this desk the Writing area, but it can double as a Reading area.:wink:

Reading? Er… Berkshire? That is below the Mason Dixie line, isn’t it? Ah’m in t’ midlands.