The Japanese Unicycling scene... !!!

alright guys

im basically going to japan (nagasaki and tokyo & also maybe the ryukyu islands) this summer on vacation so im bringing my street uni to ride there

I was searching thru some old posts from like years back and i heard that theres quite a lot of trials and freestyle riders out there, LOADS of them riding titanium frames too? :thinking: :smiley:

is there a JAPAN unicycling forum anywhere, or websites of clubs and scenes there? i wwanna see what the trials and street scene is like over there. if any1 got ne info i wud really appreciate it!!!

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

I have no idea where you got the idea that loads were riding on Ti frames, as I have yet to see a Japanese person on a Ti frame, although they do exist. I went there last summer, visited the Miyata head office (literally an office, not even a store, nobody there spoke English and they had no idea what I was doing there).

Everything in Japan related to unicycling is very Japanese, so if you can’t read or speak it, you will have a very hard time. I spent a few weeks before going there, trying to get ahold of people through a multitude of websites I found, and through contacts in Korea and Hong Kong, and in the end the only unicyclists I met there were a 3 year old girl in a park who I helped teach how to ride, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ibieLlKmQ
and her family. Whom I met on the plane from Tokyo to Copenhagen.

Good luck trying to meet people. Maybe outside of Tokyo will be easier.

It’s got to be easier than that. The are over 1,500,000 riders in Japan. Good luck.

That’s what I would have thought, but apparently if you don’t speak Japanese then it can be very hard to get in with the right people. I even went to the Miyata Headquarters in Tokyo, and gave them my email requesting them to pass it on to anyone who might be interested in riding. The response that I got back was that many Japanese were training for unicon. Not really an answer to my question, unless training for Unicon involves staying in an isolation chamber.

At UNICON (even in the USA), Japan rides away with a great percentage of medals, mainly in track events. There’s got to be a BIG uni scene there, and you should be able to find out about it. Even if you just uni around town, hop up the steps of the police station or grind down the stair hand rails :smiley: